German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... there is a family, they've always had Shepherds. They have the money and the time and dedication. The therapist of Zenzy also said that she would do a lot better in an only home. The family would take her, they just lost their Shepherd.

You all know what kind of issues we have and what kind of life is it for her if I always have to be on top of everything. I can't relax and sit back, she barely can relax and is stressed out most of the time, it's always tense and yes I have learned my lesson.

I do not want to give her away but in this case... maybe it would be the best for her.

I know, I know I could rotate them in the crate but again... what life is it if she has to live in a small crate for half her life?

Isn't it sometimes better to let go and guarantee them a better life than they'd have with yourself?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think so. if you know in your mind that you can't provide the kind of life she deserves, and they can... to ME, it's a no brainer.

it's about the dog, not our own selfish desires. I'd do it if it were me.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried everything to make it work. I would have never expected for this to happen but I really really think, not only for Zenzy but also for Indra it is the best to get them separated and to give Zenzy a home where she doesn't have to share her person. She is a beautiful, gorgeous and powerful dog and I really love her to death. If it was just Yukon and her everything would be fine but with the puppy...

I was even thinking about giving the puppy away because Zenzy was there first but Indra is a present of my husband... on the other hand Zenzy is my old bitches daughter and was there first.

:help:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Mrs.K.....I can understand your position.
It has happened to myself as well....
Do what is "best" for your dog...sometimes we must think with our heads and not with only our hearts....even when it's the hardest decision.
**make sure you have completely thought it over, you do not want to question your decision later**
Best wishes,
Robin

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I think Zenzy deserves the best like she can have... be it w/ you or someone else.

If she's be happier as an only dog and these ppl are willing to take her on, maybe that's best for her.

Would you be able to visit her?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
It takes a very strong, selfless person to do what is best for their beloved animal. I applaude you for even considering it.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As long as they and we are in Germany I can visit her. They travel a lot to Spain and they always took their old dog to Spain too. Zenzy loves riding in the car.

From what the Therapist told me is that they only had one dog at a time and that the Fincas are out in the country and she would have the best life a dog can ever imagine and probably get the meat served on a silver plate.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You need to do what you feel is best for Zenzy. If the people you are considering are worthy of what you feel would be an excellant home for Zenzy, then I would not hesitate.

Is there a way for you to go and see where she would be living before you make the final decision?? I would also make sure the new owners know that if for any reason they could no longer care for Zenzy, to make sure they contacted you first so you could take her back if you could.

If I remember correctly, you and your husband are moving to the states at some point?, I would be sure that you and the new owners have each others contact information and perhaps that would send you photos or emails, etc so that you would feel better knowing how she is doing.

Good luck with this decision, I know it is not one you are coming to lightly. I am sure you will do what is best for Zenzy's happiness.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, we are moving to the States in November/December time-frame and it's been going on ever since we got the puppy.

If it wasn't for the puppy she'd be fine. I just don't know which one to re-home.

Would you either re-home the puppy or her?

Zenzy has been there first so Indra is the intruder but I know that my husband would be hurt if I did give her away.

Gawsh damnit...

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I've done it, it was not easy for me, but some times you have to think of them. If she would have a better life, then I say yes.
I did as well (sort of). My sister took my Kenya while I was on vacation and when I got back they'd fallen in love with her and didn't want to give her back. I went to see her at their house and she behaved like she owned the place. She barked when I came to the door, which took her months to do when I first got her (she was 3 when I got her). She jumped up on the couch and sat in my sister's lap. She is a very anxious dog and I think was doing great being an only dog and living with a more care-free person (I am more of an anxious person so perhaps the dog and I feed off each others' stress level). Also she has some neurotic behaviors that are triggered by the environment, things that she does out of habit, so when I take her somewhere else she does not do them. My sister kept her for a little over a month but then moved home and my mom won't allow a dog, so I have her back but if my sister moves she can take her back.

I really love all my dogs but honestly I can't even say it was a "hard" decision. When I got back from vacation and went to see my dog and saw how happy and relaxed she was in that environment, it was just a no-brainer for me. The dog was clearly in a better state of mind in that environment. I guess in my case it's easier because she goes with my sister so I still have some control (I will always keep paper ownership of the dog).

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I really dont know what to tell you, I would be heartbroken either way but I have Sin and next year I want a female GSD and if it didn't work out there would be no way in **** that I would give up Sinister. I would be forced to rehome the puppy but I would do everything in my power to try to get them to live together in peace, maybe they wont be best friends but if they could tolerate each other it's a huge plus.

So part of me says "Zenzy was there first, she has been with you longer, she was happy just being with you, then you brought another dog in and now you want her out when it's not her fault?"

I'm sorry, I dont mean to be rude. I really dont but Zenzy was there first :(

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Is Zenzy the one that you were given from your parents? The one that you could train and then sell if you wanted too? Isn't Zenzy the one that you have to board in a kennel because of a complaint? How will Zenzy do when you move over here to the states? Will it be detrimental to her?

You have so many things to consider with Zenzy, more than just who was there first. You are a young couple, correct? Will your household continue to become more hectic? Sooooo many things to consider. Will the household be quieter with more time to work one on one with her? Are these people prepared to deal with her issues?

I would make a list of pro's and con's of rehoming Zenzy and think carefully about how this will affect her. I"m sure you'll come to the right decision for her. :)

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not that I want her out. I don't, I really don't want her out and I've been thinking the same thing. She was there first. I've been talking to my husband about it and he wants Indra to stay.

I am torn between the two. It doesn't matter who I am going to give away it'll hurt.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Heartwrenching decision, but we do what we need to for the dog...not for us. I had to make this decision with a husky pup I had for 6 months...she was a parvo dog abandoned at the clinic where I work. Nursed her through the parvo, took her through 2 obedience classes, worked on her socialization, etc. She turned into one of the most loving dogs I've ever owned...but she wanted to RUN RUN RUN. I simply COULD NOT keep her in the yard. She went over, under, and once through our fence. We built it taller, she still got out. When I saw her actually use the rottweiler as a launching pad (the husky actually jumped onto the rottie's back, and from there over the privacy fence), I knew we had to place her somewhere where she wouldn't be at risk being hit by a car or causing a traffic accident. She went to live with family north of us, 6 acres and a pond on the property. They had had huskies before and understood the running and the digging that are so deeply ingrained in the breed. Bailey adjusted beautifully there: runs, swims, chases deer, and sleeps with their 6 year old daughter. So much better than life on a tie out or being hit by a car. We miss her, but we're very glad she's happy where she is.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I really dont know what to tell you, I would be heartbroken either way but I have Sin and next year I want a female GSD and if it didn't work out there would be no way in **** that I would give up Sinister. I would be forced to rehome the puppy but I would do everything in my power to try to get them to live together in peace, maybe they wont be best friends but if they could tolerate each other it's a huge plus.

So part of me says "Zenzy was there first, she has been with you longer, she was happy just being with you, then you brought another dog in and now you want her out when it's not her fault?"

I'm sorry, I dont mean to be rude. I really dont but Zenzy was there first :(
Gotta agree. If it were me and my choice I would have to rehome the puppy. My male mix dog is WAY more important to me, he's like my kid and I know the GSD is too; but for me it comes down to who would have an easier time attaching to a new family and starting over and having a better life. I know the life I've provided for my dog and how extremely happy and good of a life he has, and there's no way I could take myself away from him, it wouldn't be fair. Regardless of how much I paid for my puppy, she would have to go.
Granted my dogs are getting along spendidly; hopefully it stays this way as she is only eight weeks old, but seems to be forming an attachment to my adult male. :)

I do wish you luck in your decision; and I hope that maybe this can be resolved and both dogs can stay in the household.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Isn't it hypocritical?

I am one of the most opinionated people out there and very outspoken about re-homing pets for the wrong reasons and here I am thinking about re-homing one of my own dogs. Of course some people are going to stone me because to them it doesn't matter why I am considering re-homing...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts