German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out of town on Friday and just got back today (Sunday). I left Smokey and Zeeva at the Petsmart hotel (not the best choice I know). But I'm surprised at how calm they both are. The hotel was booked full of crazy dogs and I think they got used to those other dogs. I almost feel paranoid that they were given Benadryl or some other calming agent?

Of course I left them feeling miserable. They didn't get group time play...but they did get individual play...they weren't reactive toward any dogs and as I said they seemed to have done well. I thought they'd be traumatized, anxious, hyper etc. I did feel they held #1 and 2 but that was somewhat expected. I don't know how truthful they are in terms of their eating, behavior or other antics.

One thing I find comfort in because of this experience is that if I were to rehome them, I think they'd adjust...

I've a colleague who has a 7 or 8 year old rottie at home. She has left her dog for 3 weeks with a timed food canister and a doggie door. No one checked on the dog...is that extreme/doable? I wouldn't...

How have your experience boarding your dog been?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I've boarded my dogs(have 4) many, many times even once for about 10 days when I was on my honeymoon. We've never had a problem(and I have one DA dog and one HA dog) and they've always acted as if it was no big deal. We've boarded a couple times at the petsmart hotel because it was the only place we could find with 24 hour monitoring and at the time we had an Aussie who had seizures, never had an issue there either. I think most times it's far more stressful on us then it is them. :)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Not good. I had a lab mix that turned into a completely different dog. He growled at them and my mom had to go walk him. By the time I got there he lost weight and he was shedding profusely. He even growled at me until he realized it was me. Never again.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think most times it's far more stressful on us then it is them. :)
I agree...c:

I cried before they even went through the door to their rooms...so silly...but I'm beginning to think that they develop confidence and manners and get some socialization with people and dogs from a far...it may be healthy for the all of us to get away from each other from time to time. I just have to learn to let go.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Not good. I had a lab mix that turned into a completely different dog. He growled at them and my mom had to go walk him. By the time I got there he lost weight and he was shedding profusely. He even growled at me until he realized it was me. Never again.
Interesting! I've boarded a total of 5 different dogs and not one ever had a problem with it. We take them to a highly praised boarding kennel where they get individual attention(since none of my other dogs except for Ollie can be with strange dogs), walks, cuddle time, they get frozen peanut butter kongs everyday and one place we boarded them in the VIP area and they had a tv, lol. Wonder what causes some dogs to react so negatively.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
With our previous dog, an Aussie/GSD mix, we never boarded her but left her with our employee's sister. She was a very sweet lady. We only left her for 3 days at a time and were told by the 3rd day our dog was really missing us. I guess the first 2 days were like vacation for our dog.

Molly was boarded for the first time last weekend, for 8 hours at our vet. She seemed fine but 2 days later had a slight episode of colitis, so I know she was stressed. The next day after boarding, she slept all day. Boarding made her exhausted.

I think if I wanted to board her more I'd do it in slow increments.

Your coworker that left her Rottie for 3 weeks is crazy and does not love her dog IMO..

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
We used to use a boarding kennel, Cheyenne hated it. We started having my sister in law take care of everyone. Since then I've had 2 sitters that come to the house 3xs a day.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With our previous dog, an Aussie/GSD mix, we never boarded her but left her with our employee's sister. She was a very sweet lady. We only left her for 3 days at a time and were told by the 3rd day our dog was really missing us. I guess the first 2 days were like vacation for our dog.

Molly was boarded for the first time last weekend, for 8 hours at our vet. She seemed fine but 2 days later had a slight episode of colitis, so I know she was stressed. The next day after boarding, she slept all day. Boarding made her exhausted.

I think if I wanted to board her more I'd do it in slow increments.

Your coworker that left her Rottie for 3 weeks is crazy and does not love her dog IMO..
Do you think I'm confusing their exhaustion for calm? They're knocked out. Does that indicate they may have been stressed?:c

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Interesting! I've boarded a total of 5 different dogs and not one ever had a problem with it. We take them to a highly praised boarding kennel where they get individual attention(since none of my other dogs except for Ollie can be with strange dogs), walks, cuddle time, they get frozen peanut butter kongs everyday and one place we boarded them in the VIP area and they had a tv, lol. Wonder what causes some dogs to react so negatively.
Only one of my current dogs might do okay in a kennel and that is only because she is very independent and doesn't care what anyone thinks. She is queen of the house and doesn't feel the need to follow me from room to room like the other three. I guess she figures I'll be back and there is no sense in getting up..

·
Registered
9,796 Posts

I've a colleague who has a 7 or 8 year old rottie at home. She has left her dog for 3 weeks with a timed food canister and a doggie door. No one checked on the dog...is that extreme/doable? I wouldn't...

I can't imagine anyone leaving a dog alone for THREE WEEKS ... IMHO this is frightening. What happens if the dog gets sick, injures himself, the feeder malfunctions, something happens to his water supply ... too many "what if's" in my opinion!!!

I've always boarded the Hooligans when I go somewhere and have never had any problems. I try to be careful when I select a kennel, only want one that has the owner or manager living on the property, I pay for extra playtime and walks and they seem to get along fine (of course they're excited to see me and go home).

·
Registered
720 Posts
One of my dogs, Ilka, absolutely has to be boarded if we go out of town. I wouldn't trust her with a house sitter. She is dog-reactive, can be people-reactive, and can climb a 6' high chain link fence.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I've never boarded Raina except once when she was a pup. I even rented a van so she could go with me to Michigan when I went. I did board Pyrate earlier before I got Raina but I left him with my trainer (same place Raina stayed that one time) who treated him like a member of the family. He slept upstairs with their dogs (all crated side by side) and was loose in the house and yard with them during the day. Someone was always there. My trainer has moved away now and I don't trust anyone enough to board Raina. She is DA and can be HA and only a person that really understands her issues could handle her with her six-wheel drive. I would rather have her with me. I think I have separation issues more than her.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I prefer to get my friend to check on them - I boarded them during summer because of the Forest fire risk where I live. It was not a great experience, Hex broke a couple of teeth on the wire enclosure and he got a huge hot spot on his butt - I was glad we were only away for a week.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I have luckily never had to board my dogs, but I have a couple of friends who regularly board their little dogs. One has had me go check on her dog a couple of times at the pet hotel. That little dog was happy and spoiled.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona is boarded at the vet. She goes to doggie day camp during the day. She does great. I think your dogs were tired. Fiona plays a lot and comes home exhausted. Leaving dog for 3 weeks is crazy and perhaps illegal.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
443 Posts
I used to board Kaylee at Petsmart and similar places; she loves to play with other dogs and adjusts very well to change. She was always exhausted for a day or two after the experience. Now that we have two dogs, one not friendly to strange animals, we get a house sitter. It's cheaper and the people I use are used to our animals and their quirks. Plus there's no rushing to be on time for pick up/drop off.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I boarded Finn for the first time about six or seven months ago. He was the superstar of the kennel, lol. You got a passcode for webcams they have stationed all around the facility so you can watch your dog 24/7, which was HUGE for me. While he couldn't have group time with everyone due to him being intact, the staff/owners brought their dogs in to play with him (with my Holy Hazmaticus) and he had a blast. There were a few times I saw him sitting by the front desk with one of the employees chewing on a rawhide, or walking around with the trainers/staff while they went about their work.

They said his best buddies there were Titan, a three pound Chi, and Betsy, a Dane. When we picked him up, he was almost sad to go. They treated him great! The only thing I didn't like was that he came back with ticks, so obviously another boarder didn't follow the flea/tick control rule. They sent us a box of our F/T meds and a gift cert for a free VIP week stay.

When we did the vet boarding a few months ago, once again, he was the rock star. They treated him very, very well and I don't have any complaints.

The woman who left her dog like that is a moron. Even Baxter, my parents' outdoor, independent as all get out dog, has someone check in on him three or four times a day if he doesn't go to a kennel. Too many what ifs. Usually, we leave the animals home and kids from our church do the necessities and they call every day to give us an update.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I boarded my shih tzu ( it was so many years back maybe 9 years) at the Petsmart hotel for a few days while we were on vacation. When I went to pick her up she was so upset she didnt wag her tail or even greet me, she just walked right passed me. She wouldnt even look or acknowledge me for hours. Ever since then I either take them with us or leave them at home and have a young adult relative stay at my home with them. They get free internet, cable and all the free food and munchies they could want plus $25 dollars a day. It works for me cause its cheaper than petsmart hotel and my dogs get to stay at home and relax.

However if i only had the choice to board them or leave them alone, I would board them preferably in a non kennel boarding that would be close to where I am on vacation so I can visit them or pick them up for the day.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've never had to board Ralphie, but I imagine he'd be stressed by the experience. I also have two cats and boarding cats is even more stressful for them since they are not typically people-social and other cat-social, so we have very good friends that we're close with that house-sit for us when we go out of town. That way everybody gets to stay in a familiar environment and be with familiar people. Even with that, though, both cats and the dog get a little depressed when we're away and are crazy for a day or two after we get back (e.g. everyone needs attention, right that very moment and you can't stop otherwise they'll give you the evil eye and will follow you everywhere you go in the house :laugh:).

·
Registered
474 Posts
I use to work at a nice boarding facility and it seemed that it depends on the dog. Some dogs enjoyed the group time/doggy hotel while others weren't comfortable. All the employees did their best to help the dog 'cope' if they didn't enjoy the stay.

When I had Hero, no. Hero would be depressed. He got depressed when my dad had to go on a business trip. We always had a friend or a family member stay at the house for Hero. Now Gunner, I think he might do okay. His training would go out the door...so I would rather have him stay at my parents or with a friend at my house.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts