German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everywhere I look - no matter how hard, how high, how low - I can't find hardly ANYTHING about the disadvantages to neutering. Every web page I find is biased toward neutering. I can understand why; we have a pet overpopulation problem. However, the bias is ridiculous.
I want to know what's healthy for my dog! Is that so much to ask for? I even did a search on here and a very large majority of the posts are biased towards speuter. Even other dog forums seem to be almost 100% pro speuter. (Not saying this one is, because it isn't).

So - I want the bias AGAINST neutering.

Someone brought up some very good points in a thread I was reading, and it was about many of the negatives of an intact male. Something about how an intact male, if he knows his place, shouldn't mark 'alpha's' territory, and shouldn't try to roam because only 'alpha' breeds. (Alpha being the owner). I thought that post had some very good points. I'll try to find it.

Where's Selzer? I know she's in the know about this stuff. ;)

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'd just like to say something on the "alpha" thing.

Your dog wont mark or roam if you TRAIN them not to do that. It has nothing to do with being the "alpha". If we're going to look at what actually happens in wild wolf packs (seeing as we like to use the outdated terminology regarding them), all members of a pack mark territory. Typically only one breeding pair mates in a pack, because the pack is made UP of those dog's offspring. IE, packs are like a family units- mom, dad, all the kids, and maybe some aunts/uncles. Multiple breeding pairs would ultimately lead to inbreed, which is of course bad. It has nothing all to do with being "alpha" or "dominant".

Which isn't to say I don't agree with the underlying sentiment. None of those things (marking/roaming) should be a problem with an intact dog, granted the person has actually taken the time to train away from such things.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd just like to say something on the "alpha" thing.

Your dog wont mark or roam if you TRAIN them not to do that. It has nothing to do with being the "alpha". If we're going to look at what actually happens in wild wolf packs (seeing as we like to use the outdated terminology regarding them), all members of a pack mark territory. Typically only one breeding pair mates in a pack, because the pack is made UP of those dog's offspring. IE, packs are like a family units- mom, dad, all the kids, and maybe some aunts/uncles. Multiple breeding pairs would ultimately lead to inbreed, which is of course bad. It has nothing all to do with being "alpha" or "dominant".

Which isn't to say I don't agree with the underlying sentiment. None of those things (marking/roaming) should be a problem with an intact dog, granted the person has actually taken the time to train away from such things.
So then it's not a neutering issue, it's a training issue.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Absolutely.

Granted, you have tendencies. An unaltered dog might tend to want to roam more, but again, train train train away from it, problem solved. Really though, altered dogs like to roam too, and even an altered male will be attacked to the scent of a bitch in heat.

I've always found that myth rather stupid, myself.

Marking as well. Maybe an unaltered male my tend towards this, but if you properly train them not to mark, they aren't going to mark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts