German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got papillon fever! I already have 2 German Shepherds, Riley and Apollo. Riley is "mine" and Apollo is "His." We both take care of them though. I just don't know if I should actually get another dog. I can also afford the care of adding another dog. I'm just skeptical of getting one because of the other dogs reactions and my own. I want a small dog to hold and cuddle with and a neck warmer at night! Okay, I know the cuddling part sounded wrong but just fyi I do cuddle with my dogs now, it's just EXTREMELY HARD! lol. I only have a full bed and when we cuddle with our dogs at night we can only have one on the bed at a time. I'm not really looking for affirmation from anyone I guess I am just looking for advice. I am also worried I might give one dog more attention than the other. I actually think that is my only big concern. Or maybe that I will love one more than the other. I guess I am thinking that because I am used to only loving two dogs and right now it doesn't seem possible to love another dog as much as my 2 now.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I've also been thinking about something like that... I've always wanted a chihuahua (or any purse dog) but afraid the novelty will wear off before the commitment ends so i was thinking of fostering some chi's just to see how I like them. Maybe that's a stupid reason to foster but I've never had a tiny dog before so not sure how they'd fit into our family.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have two large dogs and one small dog(min pin) one day we hope to add another small breed. It works out well our little one gets along with all of ours but he is not a real tiny dog. How are your two gsds with other animals? That would be my only concern some of the teacup sized dogs freak out my mastiff so we can't ever add an extremely tiny dog. Maybe you can foster first to see how the GSDs handle it. This would allow you to see if a small breed would work in your family. Keep us updated on your decision. Good luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well hello, kindred spirit!

My Papillon is the love of my life, and I'm pretty sure she's that one dog that'll be my soul mate. I initially was going to get a GSD, but my parents said I had to get a small dog. She came into my life, and I've just had my 3 year anniversary with her after rescuing her at nearly 4 years of age.

Small dogs are a whole world of difference from big dogs, and you'll definitely need to make sure that your GSDs are ok with small ones. You would probably find yourself pretty pleased with a Papillon though because they are the smartest toy breed (probably excluding poodle). Mine is very intelligent and eager to please, a lot like a GSD. But she is very much a lapdog.

I think the fostering idea, like Jax's Mom talked about, could be a great idea. You could see how it would be to have such a different dog. And you may end up loving the foster so much that you'll want to keep it.

If you have any specific Papillon questions, please feel free to ask!

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I have a Papillon too - although mine has like every possible bad trait you could ever find in a Papillon. I got him expecting a sweet little dog like all the others I had met and instead I got the opposite. He's dog aggressive, barks ALL the time, chews on stuff (still), not housetrained (still at age 4 now), not always good with the kids and has bizarre congenital (we think) health issues that result in lumps all over his head. He's lucky my husband is so attached to him because I honestly have a hard time with him. Wish he was more like the Papillons I had met that drew me to the breed, but oh well, he's here and unless he bites one of the kids he's not going anywhere. We just have to be super careful with him around the kids because he has very little tolerance for them.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think that'd be a great idea, so long as your GSDs would be okay with it. :)

Ozzy was raised with a lab and goes to the dog park and plays with big dogs, so he's good at playing with them.

I love having Ozzy, because I can take him just about anywhere (I test the waters and take him places where he might not be allowed - if I'm kicked out, I just leave, no fuss), he cuddles with me at night, and when I need to, I can carry him. For example, if we go to Petco and the ground is a million degrees and I need to pick him up to carry him in, or if we're in a store that would prefer I carry him instead of him walk on the ground.

Also, it's cheap to feed him, it's fun to dress him up in certain things, like his little bomber jacket, and more people come up to pet him than come up to pet Sania. (Our big, horrifying, scary, senior black lab that might beat you to death with her tail and lick you).

It's also fun, because if you get a Papillon and train him/her to play fetch or do things that most little dogs don't do, you get a lot of comments and compliments from other dog owners. You can be an ambassador for the breed.

I loved it one time when I was at the park with Ozzy playing fetch, someone was walking by with their Pomeranian who was at the end of its leash, yipping and yapping, bouncing, coughing because it was pulling. Ozzy totally ignored it. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
My sister the 'lab' person, has defected to papillons, she has two..The first one Jacque is a Kirby son (westminster winner),,he has a kazillion agility titles and is very full of himself, (as in stuck up:) the second is Pee-aire (yep she spells his name like that!) he is more of a byber but also doing really well in agility, he's very social and rather dingy:)

Masi is great with them, her and P, are best buddies, even tho the paps torment the heck out of her:)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I definitely think my dogs would do great with a little one around. Apollo takes to smaller dogs better than larger dogs anyways. I want to adopt one but the nearest adoption is over 200 miles. It's hard to find the time to drive that far when I work on the weekends and my SO works on weekdays.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I've got papillon fever! I already have 2 German Shepherds, Riley and Apollo. Riley is "mine" and Apollo is "His." We both take care of them though. I just don't know if I should actually get another dog. I can also afford the care of adding another dog. I'm just skeptical of getting one because of the other dogs reactions and my own. I want a small dog to hold and cuddle with and a neck warmer at night! Okay, I know the cuddling part sounded wrong but just fyi I do cuddle with my dogs now, it's just EXTREMELY HARD! lol. I only have a full bed and when we cuddle with our dogs at night we can only have one on the bed at a time. I'm not really looking for affirmation from anyone I guess I am just looking for advice. I am also worried I might give one dog more attention than the other. I actually think that is my only big concern. Or maybe that I will love one more than the other. I guess I am thinking that because I am used to only loving two dogs and right now it doesn't seem possible to love another dog as much as my 2 now.

It's like having mutiple kids, you love them all and have a different relationship with all of them, I have little dogs as well as my Shepherds, they are so different thats it's wonderful, I thoroughly enjoy both, and love snuggling with the little ones at the end of the day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts