German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucky is our 13 year old rescue. He has ben with us for 12 years. He has major hip issues and arthritis . He's on Gabopentin,Previcox and Tramadol. He's getting two half tabs a day. He cant do steps anymore and has a hard time on leash as it seems to bother his neck.He isnt able to walk for and he often refuses his meds and b/c of his neck issues I just and hold his muscxle. He is whining and crying more. Still very happy to see me when I get home and has some good days where he gallops about , He often seems a liitle disoriented.This weekend a neighbot boy about 13 who has been around Lucky for a long time. He came over for the past two summers and played ball with him. Anyways Lucky bite him has he leaned over him to pet him. Lucky brokethe skin butit wasnt enough to draw blood thank god but its obvious were getting to the end. Im writing this sitting att my desk waiting to talk to our vet, I thought making the decision w/ Daisty and Chevy was tough but this is harder. I would welcome feedback from anyone right now.
1. Do I have any other optionsthen letting him go?
2. My biggst issue is he's truly mine and he gets so happy when I come home he head butts me and does a slower but same dance he's always done. No irrtitaion w/ me but doesnt tolereate children anymore.
Sorry this is so disjointed but Im really upset and scared and sad.

Maggi

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I am so very sorry you are going through this. I don't know what to tell you except that it has to be your decision and you will make the right one.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lauren. Im relly trying to do the right thing.
I just read my post sorry about the spelling and how disjointed it is.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Thanks Lauren. Im relly trying to do the right thing.
I just read my post sorry about the spelling and how disjointed it is.
It is completely understandable, do not worry about the spelling.

You will do the right thing.

:hugs:

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Maggi, I am sorry you are going through this. Whatever your decision is, I know it will be the right one, and we will all be here to support you. Don't fret the spelling. Deb

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Deb and Nikkita

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I am so sorry for you and having to make this decision.

I can only recommend that you think very hard about whether you are holding on for him or for you? If you saw your best friend struggling through this, what would your advice be to her?

It's never easy. And no one can tell you the right decision. It has to be yours.

God bless.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
So sorry to hear! Sending you virtual hugs

I think sometimes with letting a pet go, you both have to be ready for it (if there truly is such a thing). It's hard because they fight to stay sometimes much longer than they may have normally because of us. We are here for you regardless of which way you go. Give Lucky a hug from me and the pack!

·
Registered
9,564 Posts
If you are having doubts, it is not the time yet.

He bit the kid because he is a grumpy old senior, and the petting would probably have hurt.

I would just watch him, and give him lots of love, for now.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I can't be of any help but I want you to know how bad I hurt for you and this painful decision.

I think gsdsar summed it up best. Most of us have had to make this decision at some point in our lives. We can only do the best we can for all of our family members regardless if they are 2 footed or 4.

I wish I could stop your hurt.

Lynn & Traveler

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gsdsar- Im relly thinking about if its me or him whose not ready ,not sure yet.
Sunflower- Thanks Again trying to fin ways to help him but maintain eve5yone's safety. Not sure about whether its time as he still loves his food ,ice cream and is tolerating Thunder better.
GLH -Thank you .on memorail day we had a get together all adults and Lucky was in love with a friend girl friend walked up the steps of the pavillion to be next to her. He is still his old self at times.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm so sorry, I truly feel your pain as I'm struggling with my 15 year old palliative foster right now who is in end stage kidney failure. I'll tell you what I'm telling myself, when there is no joy left in them - it's time. But as long as there's something that sparks that happiness whether it be your presence, food, a special place outside, then it's not time yet. You will know looking into their eyes when it’s time

:hugs: to you

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't be of any help but I want you to know how bad I hurt for you and this painful decision.

I think gsdsar summed it up best. Most of us have had to make this decision at some point in our lives. We can only do the best we can for all of our family members regardless if they are 2 footed or 4.

I wish I could stop your hurt.

Lynn & Traveler
Thanks Lynn

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
At times like this I ask myself what another few days or weeks will add to his life. I have done this with all my pets whether they are dogs or pet mice.
I know the pain and I wish you all the strength the world. You and him will grow to the right moment.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shanna Thank you i know most folks here go through this and its why this is such a great place. He does still have some joy.
Wolfy Dog Im not sure if giving him more time is the right thing to do but I still see him enjoying his day.he problem is continuing to calcualate whether there is more pain then happiness.

·
Registered
778 Posts
This part of having a dog companion is so very difficult. I feel for you.

IMHO the bite, by itself, is not the reason. It's the sum total of their daily/weekly life that matters more. I took the quality of life test more times than I could count when I last faced this issue. It helped me decide when was the right time.

Whenever you do decide the time has come take comfort from the long years of happiness that you shared together.

Warm regards,

Michael

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
This is very hard for me to write, I have been in your place so many times. I asked a vet many, many years ago whether I was hanging on too long to my 14 yr. old wolf/gsd female. He was a very kind vet, Indian descent, and he looked long at her, looked at me, and said,"She have such big heart. Let's just see..." Two nights later she went to sleep right at my feet, on a comforter I had put down for her, and quietly passed away. It was so much easier than having to make that decision...

With your girl, it sounds like she still has some very good moments. I guess I would have to weigh the good against the bad--the times during the day when she is obviously in pain and not enjoying her life. When the bad times far outweigh the good, then it's time.

Another one of my dogs had cancer return after what we thought was successful surgery for hermangiosarcoma. When my vet (a close friend) determined that the cancer was there and inoperable, I asked him what he would do. He told me to take him home and make him as comfortable as possible, and when it was time, we would pts. I promised my boy that I wouldn't make him suffer... And yet in hindsight, I knew I waited 3-4 days too long for him, and it has haunted me ever since.

So this is a decision you have to make, the hardest decision for anyone whose pet is part of the family... And it is easy for us to tell you that you will know when it is time, but sometimes your judgement gets fuzzy. In the case of my boy, I let him suffer too long, I just couldn't stand the thought of him gone.

Again, weigh the good times against her painful times, that will help you.

Susan

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Hi Maggie, I do believe you have options...and I do believe if he is "dancing" in any way for any reason, that he is not ready to go. I am in the very same situation with my sera-girl, she has DM, does not see, is on Tramadol and Meloxicam to control her pain, and has been in hospice care for over a year now. However, she is eating and drinking (actually loves her food to the point of obsession), can still assume the position to do both businesses, lives for "ball time" in the evening with her dad. I don't actually know if, for her, the good times outweigh the bad, but as long as there are any good times, and there is life in her eyes (which is different from sight and easy to see once you've seen one with the life gone from the eyes), I will manage her environment when she's cranky and take it one day at a time. Every day's a new day, and as long as she's tellin' me "not today mom, not today" with her behavior and the life in her eyes, I will continue to lift her butt and sling her in and out to potty...with my bad back and all. You know your dog, if you are having doubts about whether it's time, it's likely not. Just sharing my experience and criteria with this situation and jmho. Take care, sending love and strength to a fellow traveller down this very hard road. Many blessings to you and Lucky.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts