German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
914 Posts
"1) It'll not only give me experience with a GSD, but if it's a mix, I'll get experience with another type of dog"

Hee hee that sounds funny if you think about it! Like a dual personality dog :)

· Registered
914 Posts
We got Ziva from a GSD Rescue almost 4 months ago. She is the most trying dog I have ever had. And stubborn. (The same things have been said about me :D)

And loving, smart, beautiful, etc. We love her to death & also felt good about adopting from the Rescue. We helped this big girl who, for whatever reason, was dumped. I, personally, can't walk into shelters because I end up bringing too many home. (Altho all our housecats are from the SPCA - but I get them from someplace like PetSmart, where I only have to see a few...)

Unless you're into showing dogs, why not Rescue? It IS less expensive - GSD pups in our area start around $3000 & I've seen them as high as $7000. Our adoption fee was $300. It's everything ELSE that's expensive for her!:rolleyes:
Romeo was from a breeder, but we wanted very specific lineage (plus long coated) and the breeder is outstanding...his little sister next year will be a rescue/adoptee. We are going to let him pick her out! :wild:

· Registered
914 Posts
Do you guys want me to stick around here? I don't have a GSD, but I like this forum and I do have some experience with some dogs. I like helping other dog owners.
Everyone is welcome if they are interested in the breed. Some things are across many breeds and some things are very specific to GSDs so that means you can learn more as.you spend time here about GSD specific issues and by sharing it never hurts because some things like positive training are across many types.of.dogs:) I would never.discourage someone from.staying! !!

· Registered
914 Posts
Okay, I'm leaning toward getting a GSD again. The reason why is because the situation has changed. I'm getting burned out and I'm going to take a semester off. That gives me plenty of time to get a puppy and be with the puppy before school starts in August. I'll have January-July free to be with the puppy.

I want you guys to tell me that the cons outweigh the pros or you could just tell me your opinion about the updated situation.

I hate the fact that I keep changing my mind. My heart wants a GSD puppy, but my brain and people around me think it's a bad idea. I'm so indecisive. :(

If your brain still thinks it is a bad idea at this time, stop there and listen to yourself as there is a reason you are telling yourself this.

First always keep the stuff. We donated all our dog stuff after my sweet GSD passed away last year vowing not to get a dog for years. Then we spent July buying everything all over again :). Now we are packing away puppy stuff for our rescue next year!!

If you have the pup in January that means it will be about 10 months old by the time you go back to school.

The main thing you have to think about is that it will still be a puppy...big...but a puppy.

So can you care for the pup when you are at school? What will it do all day? How will you contain the pup? How often can you get home? How heavy is your school schedule so you can be sure to devote enough time to the budding adolescent?

If you can get satisfactory answers to these then I think you can be good to go!

My last GSD we got in March and I went to work in June and came home for lunch every day ( we had another dog already). We made it work for a long time, but we made sure we had the time to devote to her when we were at home. She turned out to be the best dog I ever had.

My current boy is 5 months old and he goes to daycare while I am at work and he is one happy little boy! Then weekends we take him everywhere with us

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.