German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
29,487 Posts
No problem with getting a mixed pup.

Are they sure about collie/GSD though. The pup looks more like a beagle mix. At seven months old, collies and gsds are both pretty big dog. I wonder if it is a sheltie/GSD mix or Corgi/GSD mix.

Whatever it is, it is a cutie. Good luck.

· Registered
29,487 Posts
I just read your most recent post.

I guess it depends. If you can save the pup's life as you say, it is small, it is going ot be small, it would probably not be a problem finding places to rent as it is a collie mix, can really pass as anything. I do not see why owning the pup would cost you that much money.

I know that you should be prepared for possible issues, but if the alternative is that this pup will be put down, well, I don't know. I think I might be tempted to take the pup and hope it does not need any major vet expenses any time soon -- that is if you really want a puppy.

It is a mature decision to decide that now is not the right time. And there is always the possibility that someone with more time and more stable situation will take that pup.

· Registered
29,487 Posts
That sounds like a good idea.

A dog might force you to go out and walk him. But that is actually good for your grades. I mean studying, you learn the most in the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes of any study period. So if you study for 3 hours, or for 1 hour, chances are good that you will remember a similar amount of information. While exersize moves the blood and refreshes the brain. Therefore, if you take a three hour study period, and study for 1 hour, and then walk the dog for 20 minutes, come back and study for another hour, and then go out and walk the dog for 20 minutes, and then come back in and study for 20 more minutes. You will probably LEARN much more.

So your best bet is to get the puppy without delay and use the puppy to improve your grades.

Just giving you some good BS to pass along just in case anyone needs a little convincing.

· Registered
29,487 Posts
Probably a good idea then.

School is a lot harder than working.

When you are settled into your job and finished with your degree, there will be time to get a pup.

Good luck.

· Registered
29,487 Posts
If you like GSDs and you want to own a GSD, I do not see any reason you should not stick around and learn and share here.

· Registered
29,487 Posts
You can save it for your future pup, or donate it to a shelter, or take it back to the store. It is up to you.

· Registered
29,487 Posts
GSDFan,

I think you can certainly manage a puppy. Going to school full time is tougher than working full time, but spending time with a puppy at your feet while you are studying biology or writing an essay, is still quality time.

So pup goes into his den when you are in class and when you are doing something that you cannot watch the puppy carefully. A baby gate will be good too, because you can baby gate the pup in the room with you. Makes it a bit easy to study.

I do not know how you would have more time to be with a puppy if you are working full time at a job.

Still, there is more to school than classes and studying. It is hard to go on an overnighter to a science fair when the pup is at home. And it is really hard to pay for boarding for such stuff.

There is the danger of using the puppy as an buffer and excuse for not going out and doing things with young people. That is your choice. But networking now in college might help you out later.

Generally, we like to tell people to wait until they are more settled to get a puppy. In the next two years, you will move, get a full-time job, possibly have a couple different significant relationships, maybe move a second time and maybe change jobs. It is a lot for most young people and the dog will complicate all of that and it will be hard on the dog.

I think your priorities will be for the dog, and a lot of college students will not have them there. It depends on maturity levels. A lot of college students aren't mature enough to be responsible for any live thing. I think you can do it. I do not know if it is in your best interests or not. I am not worried for the puppy, but for you.

· Registered
29,487 Posts
If you have already won the lottery and are independently wealthy and are going to school just to improve your knowledge, than I can understand getting a puppy now.

Otherwise, there is that possibility that you might have to move back in with the folks, and the dog will not be welcome, or only welcome to share the grass outside, and not allowed in.

Until you have been out there, paying all the bills, and managing a household, I think it is a bad idea to get a dog. I think it would be better for you to be settled.

Settled is married or single and sufficiently managing all the household expenses, it is not having a BF or GR who is working and helping out.

Settled is having a steady job that covers the basics without OT.

Settled is having a house or appartment where dogs are allowed.

Settled is being out of your parents' home for good barring some major tragic accident.

I agree with the others now, I think you should wait until you are more settled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.