German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking a lot lately and you know what, I think it would be better if I adopted or rescued a GSD mix.

1) It'll not only give me experience with a GSD, but if it's a mix, I'll get experience with another type of dog

2) It would help me out A LOT money wise.

3) I'd love to rescue or adopt a dog, especially since it saves their life.

This is the puppy I am looking at:
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Collie | Oxford, MS | Jake.

I do know, that whatever I decide to do, I need to commit to it. I'm having trouble committing because I feel like going with a breeder or shelter and rescue are both good choices and I don't know which one is the best. Now, I'm beginning to think that adopting or rescuing might be the better choice for me.

By the way, that puppy has been there for a while. Who knows, maybe he'll be there when I move out? Or I might be able to convince my parents, according to a convo that took place the other day . . .

I'm going to take my time and think some more about this. If I decide to adopt, I'll try to get a refund on my reserve. If I can't get my reserve back from the breeder, I'm okay. I understand. I wasted the breeder's time and will have to pay for that.

·
2,967 Posts
Cute puppy. There's never anything wrong with rescuing and sometimes the best dogs I've known are mixes. Just be sure to meet the puppy before you commit. Is he in a foster situation or a shelter? Personally I prefer a dog that's in foster because you can get a much better feel for the actual personality of the dog. Dogs that are in shelters can often be so stressed that it can take awhile for their real personalities to come out- Good or Bad. I've known people who adopted dogs that were shy and scared and really bloomed once they were with a family. And other dogs that seemed some calm and easy going turn into nightmares once they felt secure enough to act out.

So I say go for it. Visit rescues in your area. If it's anything like my area there are TONS of Shepherd/Shepherd mixes waiting for homes!

·
Registered
936 Posts
"1) It'll not only give me experience with a GSD, but if it's a mix, I'll get experience with another type of dog"

Hee hee that sounds funny if you think about it! Like a dual personality dog :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
We got Ziva from a GSD Rescue almost 4 months ago. She is the most trying dog I have ever had. And stubborn. (The same things have been said about me :D)

And loving, smart, beautiful, etc. We love her to death & also felt good about adopting from the Rescue. We helped this big girl who, for whatever reason, was dumped. I, personally, can't walk into shelters because I end up bringing too many home. (Altho all our housecats are from the SPCA - but I get them from someplace like PetSmart, where I only have to see a few...)

Unless you're into showing dogs, why not Rescue? It IS less expensive - GSD pups in our area start around $3000 & I've seen them as high as $7000. Our adoption fee was $300. It's everything ELSE that's expensive for her!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
936 Posts
We got Ziva from a GSD Rescue almost 4 months ago. She is the most trying dog I have ever had. And stubborn. (The same things have been said about me :D)

And loving, smart, beautiful, etc. We love her to death & also felt good about adopting from the Rescue. We helped this big girl who, for whatever reason, was dumped. I, personally, can't walk into shelters because I end up bringing too many home. (Altho all our housecats are from the SPCA - but I get them from someplace like PetSmart, where I only have to see a few...)

Unless you're into showing dogs, why not Rescue? It IS less expensive - GSD pups in our area start around $3000 & I've seen them as high as $7000. Our adoption fee was $300. It's everything ELSE that's expensive for her!:rolleyes:
Romeo was from a breeder, but we wanted very specific lineage (plus long coated) and the breeder is outstanding...his little sister next year will be a rescue/adoptee. We are going to let him pick her out! :wild:

·
Registered
686 Posts
All three of my GSDs have been rescues. All three were/are excellent dogs. I would go the rescue route any day unless I was looking for something specific. The dog in my avatar is a rescue.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I should get a dog at this time in my life. A cat, maybe, but not a dog. It breaks my heart, but I think that I could do it, but it would make making it harder. I guess to please the desire for a dog, I'll volunteer at shelters.

Now, I just need to stick with this decision this time. First I wanted a dog from a breeder, then from a rescue or shelter, now I've realized that a dog wouldn't be the best thing for me right now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Owning an animal should be a commitment you make for life, and not something to be taken lightly. Volunteering is a great way to get some hands-on experience.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I don't think I should get a dog at this time in my life. A cat, maybe, but not a dog. It breaks my heart, but I think that I could do it, but it would make making it harder. I guess to please the desire for a dog, I'll volunteer at shelters.
Tough decision GSD, but you'll have time to get a pup once your life is more settled. In the meantime, volunteering is a great idea and cats can be very cool! (We have 2) They're also a lot easier to take care of. :)

·
Registered
31,947 Posts
No problem with getting a mixed pup.

Are they sure about collie/GSD though. The pup looks more like a beagle mix. At seven months old, collies and gsds are both pretty big dog. I wonder if it is a sheltie/GSD mix or Corgi/GSD mix.

Whatever it is, it is a cutie. Good luck.

·
Registered
31,947 Posts
I just read your most recent post.

I guess it depends. If you can save the pup's life as you say, it is small, it is going ot be small, it would probably not be a problem finding places to rent as it is a collie mix, can really pass as anything. I do not see why owning the pup would cost you that much money.

I know that you should be prepared for possible issues, but if the alternative is that this pup will be put down, well, I don't know. I think I might be tempted to take the pup and hope it does not need any major vet expenses any time soon -- that is if you really want a puppy.

It is a mature decision to decide that now is not the right time. And there is always the possibility that someone with more time and more stable situation will take that pup.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I'm not concerned about the pup being put down. I called the people and A LOT of people are very interested in Jake. He's a good looking dog.

As for the money, it's the vaccines that are so expensive. My last dog, I totaled a lot paying for vaccines and deworming. Once we got past that stage, everything was okay.

I could afford it, but I'm also worried about my grades. When I got my last dog, I ended the semester with a C in one of my Lab classes. Sure, I did make the Dean's List again, but I'm not proud of that C.

Fridays are free next semester and I may volunteer.

EDIT:
I really don't know what to do. I think I'll talk to my parents. They know me almost as much as I know myself and can give me some good feedback.

·
Registered
31,947 Posts
That sounds like a good idea.

A dog might force you to go out and walk him. But that is actually good for your grades. I mean studying, you learn the most in the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes of any study period. So if you study for 3 hours, or for 1 hour, chances are good that you will remember a similar amount of information. While exersize moves the blood and refreshes the brain. Therefore, if you take a three hour study period, and study for 1 hour, and then walk the dog for 20 minutes, come back and study for another hour, and then go out and walk the dog for 20 minutes, and then come back in and study for 20 more minutes. You will probably LEARN much more.

So your best bet is to get the puppy without delay and use the puppy to improve your grades.

Just giving you some good BS to pass along just in case anyone needs a little convincing.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
and ya know a cat can be a great companion tho they are a tad more independent, require a little less care because of that independence..

I have 5 indoor kitties, and they are a comical lot, a couple of them I have leash trained and take them outside for walks:))

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I really don't know what to do. I think I'll talk to my parents. They know me almost as much as I know myself and can give me some good feedback.
Totally off topic, but I really liked that comment! Glad to see young adults keep close bonds to their parents...you don't see it much anymore, I can only hope my daughters feel the same way about me when they are all grown up!

As for you getting a dog, you sound smart...I'm sure you will make the choice that's best for you!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I talked to my parents. They both have different views. Father says I should wait til I am settled, finished college got a job and a permanent home, before I get a dog. Mother says I definitely shouldn't get a dog even after I move to start going to the university.

What they have in common is they both believe I should wait.

·
Registered
31,947 Posts
Probably a good idea then.

School is a lot harder than working.

When you are settled into your job and finished with your degree, there will be time to get a pup.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
if you're still doing the school thing (wish i was!!!), getting a dog at this point wouldnt be the best idea. They require a great deal more attention and could cause a lag in your studying and such. Whereas a cat (not saying you should do that either) would be content to just lay near you studying and getting attention here and there. I have 2 cats (grew up with cats so dont ever see my life without at least one in it) and we currently have 3 dogs plus our 2 kids. Wait to get a pet until you're a little more settled. But if you're serious about getting cat (which yes they are easier! and cheaper to feed lol) adopt an older cat. good luck!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you guys want me to stick around here? I don't have a GSD, but I like this forum and I do have some experience with some dogs. I like helping other dog owners.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts