German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Riley is our 6 year old male (well 6 coming january 2011) and he's basically a jerk. He refuses to play with any other dogs unless its Zena and he gets pissy about everything. Well Shelby came in and he was perfectly fine. Shasta came in and he's a complete jerk. Shasta has been with us since she was 12 weeks old. She's now 5 months old so we've had her for two months now. Until tonight, Riley has been... well less than steller. Shasta doesnt even have to be in the room for him to be growling at her. He's a jerk. We know this. he's always been a jerk. He doesnt appreciate "young" in anything. He's very tolerant but would rather just ignore and be ignored by puppies. Shasta has been trying so so so so hard to be friends and Riley just growls and snaps and in turn gets yelled at by us for his rotten brat behavior. He knows better. Shasta isn't an overly pushy puppy and therefore his behavior is him just being the spoiled brat he wishes he was. Below is the video i got of them actually beginning to play. Before i could hit record, Riley actually play bowed at Shasta when she did it first.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
How fun! Sania, our lab, wants nothing to do with Ozzy. Especially when her ball is around. She bears her teeth and growls at him, and just does not like him. But every once in a great while, his persistence pays off and she actually plays with him. Given, it lasts about 4.4582 seconds, but she still plays!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Riley gets snappy and just grouchy!!! He bares his teeth and lets out this growl that if Shasta were a bad guy, would probably send him running. Its just very frustrating. Riley seems to refuse to realize that Shasta isn't going anywhere. i think its probably because she's bigger that he's behaving a little better, at least tonight but i can pretty much promise the minute my husband is awake, Riley wont have anything to do with Shasta except growing, snapping and trying to hurt her when she gets too close to him. He really is a grouchy old butthead.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Unfortunately for Sania, Ozzy's not going to get near the same size she is. LOL He might top out at about 8 lbs. She weighs about 65.... She's just gonna have to wait until he's older and isn't an irritating little pest anymore. Haha.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately for Sania, Ozzy's not going to get near the same size she is. LOL He might top out at about 8 lbs. She weighs about 65.... She's just gonna have to wait until he's older and isn't an irritating little pest anymore. Haha.

lol i think Shasta will actually be bigger than Riley but only time will tell! Riley is roughly 80 pounds. probably more along the lines of 70-75 now that he's lost some weight. he's not the chubby PITA he was a few months ago. now he's just a PITA! lol. I'm actually hoping that Shasta will be bigger than him with Zena's attitude and put his butt in its place.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey KZ, this is great news! I didn't know that your older one wouldn't get along with the younger. My older mix wouldn't accept mine, either. Bared her teeth, growled, snapped and sometimes even bit her face. I fussed and finally one day had enough of it and (yes this is going to sound so off the wall), I sat my little mix down and looked her in the eyes. We had a talk. Of course I did all the talking, but I explained to her that my new baby wasn't going anywhere and that I still loved her just as much as the day I had gotten her. That she was going to have to get along, period. I told her how bad she was making me feel. Believe it or not, the next day she began to accept my puppy. Now they are best friends. :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey KZ, this is great news! I didn't know that your older one wouldn't get along with the younger. My older mix wouldn't accept mine, either. Bared her teeth, growled, snapped and sometimes even bit her face. I fussed and finally one day had enough of it and (yes this is going to sound so off the wall), I sat my little mix down and looked her in the eyes. We had a talk. Of course I did all the talking, but I explained to her that my new baby wasn't going anywhere and that I still loved her just as much as the day I had gotten her. That she was going to have to get along, period. I told her how bad she was making me feel. Believe it or not, the next day she began to accept my puppy. Now they are best friends. :)

yeah hubby's dog is a brat. always has been. Shelby loves Shasta! They play regularly, usually on my feet! The funny thing is, they'll play EXACTLY the way Riley and Zena played.
I dont think your conversation with your dog is wacky. I tried that with Riley actually and he seemed more determined to be a total butthead (safest choice word i have for the bonehead, many involving not very polite wording!)Zena had to literally try to kill him a couple of times because he behaved and stopped growling at her every time she came in the room. The first couple nights we had her, there were 3am dog fights (we didnt kennel then and were new to the world of GSD PBs). Zena is a dominant personality and Riley... well... he thinks he is but isn't anywhere near it. so the 3am fights waking us up in an apartment... after some yelling and screaming to shut them up to listen to us, we never had a problem after that. I seriously think thats what it might take for Riley to full accept the Shasta is here to stay. Had the conversation with Shelby but she's very accepting of other dogs but she accepted Shasta immediately after i was done "talking" to her lol. I had barely finished my speech to her when she pounced on Shasta and started racing around all crazy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.