German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I don't know if any of you have heard the story so I am going to tell it one more time but with a little different ending. My mum has moved here from South Carolina and had been working with a SAR unit up there. She has 2 male gsd that were rescued from a puppy mill but the one she was working with didn't work out because he couldn't take the stress. She has been looking for a puppy to start with and I have been trying to help her (with much help from the forum people, thank you) but nothing sounded just right to her. Anyway, many people suggested a one year or older but mum was totally against that.....untill now. Tomorrow I am taking her to look at a one year old rescue. I went to look at her tonight and she seems like the whole package. She is underweight and was rescued, due to be pts last tuesday. She has already learned her new name "Heidi", she has no issues that I can see. She passed all the evaluations I gave her, loves people, has great ball drive, is very willing to learn and be loved. She is a little alpha and it would take some time to get her and mum's boys settled but she has no real agressive behavior that I can find. No food agression, ect. Its early days but watching her I really think she has something special. I am taking mum over in the morning with Neko to see how Heidi reacts to a bitch. Neko is a really good dog with agressive dogs and I have used her in temp tests before because she is nonreactionary no matter what they do. We will also try some fun run away's to see how she likes the game. I will let you all know how it goes, wish us luck!

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Good luck! Did you have Heidi xrayed yet?
And where are the pics????

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No xrays yet, will get those done when she is spayed. Will post some pics if things go well today. I think she will do fine on xray she has a distinct lack of muscle tone right now but still moves very well. I cant wait to see what she looks like when really healthy, she really is quite lovely even with the signs of neglect she has now.

·
14,619 Posts
Ummmm and might I ask.... where are the pics???

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ok here she is, today went really well, both mum's dogs did very well and she just loves being inside a house. The dogs are sharing space very well and we discovered that someone has done some basic obedience with her. She sits and does really quite well on leash. Mum's boys have not been free with her yet we thought that their meeting and sharing space while in crates next to eachother was enough for one day. They have met free through a fence and on leash. We also did some more puppy run aways with her and she LOVED it!!! yeah! She needs lots of weight and has little muscle tone right now but if I was looking for a dog to start SAR with she has everything I look for and amazingly no issues so far. All around it was a great day.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O.K. update time. Heidi has settled in very well, coat is already getting a sheen and happy with her new bro's. Her recall is already well established so tomorrow we are going to really start some run aways, first with a subject in site and then will see if she will use her nose for her first "find". Mum is so excited, she is already working on her bark to get ready for her alert.....and she is doing it! She really is a great little girl, I can't wait to see how she does tomorrow, will let you all know.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have an update on Heidi, and unfortunately it is not good news. She developed a limp a few days ago and so we had Xrays done. Not good, severe hip dysplasia. I mean really pretty bad. The good news is that the vet said that she has hope at a fairly normal life and we have adjusted her diet ect to give her more calcium ect to help her any way we can. Maybe she won't be a SAR dog but she can live and love and maybe there is something else out there she is intended for. The best part is she is the best home she could have. She loves her brothers and everything that can be done for her quality of life will be done. She has a beautiful soul and her eyes are lite again with a great love of life. She has a very special place in my heart already and mum and dad have fallen totally in love so she is in a very good place.

·
14,619 Posts
I am sorry to hear that! At least she is in a great home. Would tracking (for titles) or herding be something that she could do? I am sure you know that regular exercise is great for dogs with HD.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that. We put so much expectatives in the poor critters... Maybe she was destined to be spoiled while you look the perfect guy for the job.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Having one dog (Cyra) with severe dysplasia I am sorry to hear that. We have had great success with acti-flex 4000 available at horse stores. I give her 3mL 2xdaily - may want to look at it. Glycoflex III is also good. She can still have a great life.

Cyra is still working though restricted to boatwork and the only time we notice anything about the hips is if she gets cold AND wet.

So is your mom going to try for another dog to work? When I got Grim he was OFA Good before I got him and then I invested about $400 in back x-rays and bloodwork + physical exam to be sure there were no latent problems.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If Heidi does well we may do some trailing with her, she loves to work and that may be fun for her. The vet said that it would be fine as long as she loves doing it and her legs don't get worse. Mum is also looking into doing something else with her like therapy dog type thing. Heidi really needs a job, she is very very driven! We are going to start the search again for another SAR dog when Heidi is settled and secure. Mum has plenty of room (3 acres) and plenty of love for one more. It just makes me sad that her boys have seizures and now this with Heidi. Not that these fuzzy butts could possibly have a better life or home because if I died today I want to come back as one of mum's dogs!

·
Registered
15 Posts
further up date, started heidi on longevity from springtime, got the all clear from the vet to start training low and slow, her muscles are really developing in her back legs to compensate, she has been in a harness and done a couple of very short trails, a little road work , and focus training. here we go people

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Re: I think that we may have found mum's new SAR d

Hey--that's great. It may just be with the supplements and building her muscle mass that she'll do just fine! Massie could hike 10 miles a day in difficult terrain with a fully loaded backpack BEFORE her hip replacement. She really didn't retire from backpacking and xxskiing until she was 8!

·
Registered
15 Posts

thanks so much for your input , I thought I was fooling myself but your input helped so much, we are acoming folks my boys want to know how to slow this female fuzzbutt down as she is beating them to the ball on a regular basis. tee hee get over it fellars WOMEN RULE

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi nancy jusy an update on heidi, she has now been spayed, recovered and started her cadaver training, cant wait to see how well she does(SHARONK9NEKO) is her mentor and runs apretty tight ship. hope all is well at your house

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

Hey, I'm not Nancy but it's great to hear that Heidi is doing so well!

My new rescue has HD and he just started agility yesterday and he is going to learn tracking as well! All just for fun but his hips don't seem to slow him down at all.

Can you post pictures of Heidi?

·
Registered
15 Posts

it amazes me how they adapt and overcome, heidi locks both hind legs and spins into a corner when leading the charge around the yard with her boys. cold and wet are the only time she shows any pain, how bad is your hd. I have heidi on springs Longjevite and it seems to be helping her,dont know her breed line history but someone gave up on a great dog

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts

Glad to know that things are going well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
update on the update. heidi is well into her training for cadaver, cant wait to load and go have big fun. no problems with the hips so far thank goodness. she is a better weather forecaster than those guys on the t.v. storm comin she will dig out of her crate and lay by me in the bedroom and then all is fine. focus- excellent, hand signals fine, working on lawn mower issues no problem, she is a pure joy to work with, next will try a bucket lift etc and so on and so forth, nancy please let joann know havent heard from her since she talked about selling up and moving to penn.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts