German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I recently got a gsd who i oscar when he was 5 weeks old. At that time he was 5.5 pounds and my vet said that he is little underweight and we ought to start feeding him more. Now he is almost 11 weeks old and his weight is yet 7.9 pounds. We give him a meals of royal canine puppy starter pack four times a day and 25 pellets each time. Yesterday by mistake he ate more than 40 pellets at a time and he has been sick since. His bowel movement is disturbed and though vet says he ll soon be alright but we have not fed him much since except liquid diet and i fear he ll lose more weight. Is his weight fine and if not what do i need to do increase it. I really need help. Growth charts show my puppy underfed by almost half their average weight at his age. Pls do tell. This image is of him at 5 weeks. Vet says he has a good pedigree but his weight concerns me so much.
puppy

·
Registered
8 Posts
He looks thin. Maybe change his food and feed him more. I would not trust a breeder who sells their dogs at 5 weeks, they would be sold at 8. The puppy needs the nutrition from its mom still at 5 weeks. That might be why he was so thin. He was not fully developed

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Yeah, I don't feed Royal Cabin, but the package suggests 3 1/2 to 4 cups at 12 weeks! Probably best to increase his food gradually though.

My puppy was 25 lbs at 12 weeks.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hmm... Puppies should not be taken from their mother until they're 7 weeks at the very least. Your pup does look very small as my pup was 22lbs at 12 weeks. If you think he has enough energy and is healthy, he should be fine. But if he's lethargic, definitely up the feeding and recheck with the vet.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hey there, I recently got a gsd who i oscar when he was 5 weeks old. At that time he was 5.5 pounds and my vet said that he is little underweight and we ought to start feeding him more. Now he is almost 11 weeks old and his weight is yet 7.9 pounds. We give him a meals of royal canine puppy starter pack four times a day and 25 pellets each time. Yesterday by mistake he ate more than 40 pellets at a time and he has been sick since. His bowel movement is disturbed and though vet says he ll soon be alright but we have not fed him much since except liquid diet and i fear he ll lose more weight. Is his weight fine and if not what do i need to do increase it. I really need help. Growth charts show my puppy underfed by almost half their average weight at his age. Pls do tell. This image is of him at 5 weeks. Vet says he has a good pedigree but his weight concerns me so much. View attachment 558201 puppy View attachment 558200
I wish the flag icons were bigger. What country are you in? And could you clarify what you mean by you give "25 pellets" per meal? How much is that in volume or weight? Here in the USA we measure by cups. I'm going to guess you use grams. However if you are only giving your pup 25 pieces of kibble 3-4 times a day he is probably being extremely underfed unless the pellets are quite large.
An updated picture would help if you have one.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Royal Canin Large breed puppy feeding guidelines suggest 2.5 cups per day for a 2 month old pup with a projected adult weight of 62 lbs. That is about 504 grams per day.
This is just a guide and your pup may need more or less food depending on activity level and growth rate. Since your pup is behind a bit I would suggest increasing food amount by a 1/4 cup per day until your reach desired goal. Hopefully you will see steady weight gain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey ! Try changing his diet to a non-wheat diet . Pedigree has so many Preservatives and wheat . So he might not be getting enough nutrition. I fed my German Shepard puppy taste of the wild and she loved it ! Hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts