German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I were looking up dog mixes to find out what my Uncle's new puppy was. We found out he was a Pitbull/Great Pyrenees mix (which he is super adorable btw!) So after that my brother wanted to look up a GSD/Husky mix to see what they look like. After seeing this mix and reading up on Huskies and their traits I have come to believe my /purebred/ GSD is mixed. She only sheds twice a year, which I found odd because GSDs are supposed to shed all year round. Her face/ears doesn't look quite right for a GSD either. I made a post before asking for help training her, I thought these problems were because her former owner mistreated her. He said he bought her from a Breeder and is AKC registered/purebred. I'm not sure though :/

What do you guys think?

Picture of when I first got her. This is why she looks so scared :(

Took this one a couple days ago!

Thanks for your opinion! And for the record, I still love her even if she was half cat! :p

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I say GSD too. The markings throw me a bit, but I still see all GSD in that gorgeous face!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
She is very pretty.

I'm going to say I don't know. I can honestly say I've never seen a GSD with that particular coloration, especially around the face. The ears also look a bit off; GSDs usually have a more concave shaped ear versus the convex, or more open ears like the Spitz family has.

I'm not sure though, I'm not a breeder, nor do I judge conformation, but I'm leaning towards more of a not sure.

She's still so pretty though!

·
Registered
31,764 Posts
A member had a purebred DDR dog with those markings. I wouldn't bet on her being anything other than purebred.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What gets me is she shows ALL the traits of a Husky. Including I can't trust her off leash (bolts and won't come back when you call her) and many other traits. Siberian Husky FAQ, What you should know before you adopt a Husky She has every one of these traits, and sheds twice a year unlike a GSD. This is the main reason I believe she is mixed (and the ears)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is her muzzle shorter? It looks that way but it's kind of hard to tell.
It's hard to get an image of her from the side because she wants the camera :p I put her in her kennel so she wouldn't eat it!

Also this is a side by side and the head looks real similar!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My last gsd Omy had similar markings and coloring and she was a purebred. I can't say she was well-bred but she was purebred. You have a gorgeous girl

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I see something else in there with her. There's something in her face that isn' quite right for a GSD.

She sure is a cutie though.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Shep/Husky, Shep, i'm seeing Shep. you can always go
with Shep/Husky/Wolf and that makes a more interesting
conversation. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your opinions everyone, you are all awesome! :)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
She may be more than one other mix. She looks very similar to my daughter's dog who we think is Husky/Kelpie. Looks like she has another herding type mix, search Australian Kelpie.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She may be more than one other mix. She looks very similar to my daughter's dog who we think is Husky/Kelpie. Looks like she has another herding type mix, search Australian Kelpie.
The Kelpie's markings looks almost like hers! When I searched it with GSD/Husky/Kelpie mix I found some dogs very similar to her.

In particular this cutie here looks nearly identical to my Willow. Thanks for telling me about the Kelpie!

I wish I knew how the original owner REALLY obtained/bought her. I think either he lied about where she came from.. Or the breeder lied if the former owner was telling the truth :/

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Kelpies aren't that common. ACDs are more common and I see some resemblance there.

Ultimately, who knows? It's always a guessing game when you adopt or get the dog from someone else! I kind of like it. Eventually I just decide on something and that's what I tell everyone. :p All that really matters is that you love her. She is certainly a great looking dog and it appears that she has a personality to match. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts