German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the other day I was visiting one of the people in my "Covid bubble". This guy has a dog the same age as mine that my dog likes to play with. After we were done, I took my dog out the front door without a leash and told him to get into my vehicle. My dog calmly walked to a bush in the front yard, peed, and then got into the vehicle.

I was happy with this, because, to me, I'd rather my dog pee before we drive home. It just seems sensible. My friend told me my dog was not obedient because he didn't immediately get into my vehicle.

Of course, my friend's dog is not allowed off leash except in his fenced in backyard, and my friend's dog also still has accidents in the house. My dog has never had an accident in the house.

I realize that my dog probably does not meet military training standards, but for a pet and family member, I think he's fine. Thoughts?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Jealousy is a sad thing 😞

If you are okay with the potty detour then no big deal. Most would expect the command to be followed without any distractions. Maybe you have a command for that? Like recall immediate vs a recall back into your sphere? (Hope that makes sense.)

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
If I say Come, it means return to front immediately and on the double, if I say come on it just means come to my general vicinity. If I say in the car it means we are going somewhere, if I say load up or kennel up it means get in now.
Dogs understand nuances. My tone also dictates what they do, and how quickly.
Tell your friend there is an old saying about glass houses.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jealousy is a sad thing 😞

If you are okay with the potty detour then no big deal. Most would expect the command to be followed without any distractions. Maybe you have a command for that? Like recall immediate vs a recall back into your sphere? (Hope that makes sense.)
Thanks everyone! I guess I am more permissive than a lot of people, because I really don't have a problem with him peeing before getting in to the vehicle, and of course he knows this. However, when I say "Come!" I do expect instant obedience. But the command I use for getting in the vehicle is "Get in".

He's definitely not perfect, but he's only 14 months old. In another 6 months or so I suspect he will be much sharper. But he might still pee before he gets into the vehicle, because I really am fine with it.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Question: does your dog always do this? If so, that’s what he thinks you expect him to do.

Reactions: Shefali

·
Registered
92 Posts
If this is the routine every time you say get in the car he's very obedient. If I teach my dog that get in the car means GET IN THE CAR NOW, then a pee break isn't acceptable... but if I teach him that get in the car means, do your business and load up then it's perfect. If he's doing what I expect and have taught and accepted all along ... I'd not worry one bit about someone else's opinion.

·
Super Moderator
5,124 Posts
We have not taught our dogs that "Hup car" or "hup truck" means drop-what-you-are-doing-and-come. It can be a long ride and traveling with a full bladder can be very uncomfortable. But I also like to let my dogs out in advance so they can take care of business.
now if we say "HERE" I expect a no nonsense recall.

I do like that they know the difference between car and truck.

which ever expectations you set you have to enforce. If you want your dog to come immediately with no pee break you need to be able to enforce it. To stop and do his business on occasion means anytime, not Just This Time.

·
Super Moderator
4,968 Posts
Like most, I have words that are communication about what's going on (like truck, this way, let's go, go lay down, stick around) and then commands that are specific behaviors where compliance is mandatory and instant (sit, down, here, get in, hup, wait, out, leave it, go suk).

There are no hard fast rules unless you are on a sport that requires certain behaviors. Whatever works best in your life with your dog is how you should train. The more time your dog spends with you, the more they understand day to day life. Successfully shaping the behaviors you want to see in the dog in day to day life is the best part of training (to me).

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Like most, I have words that are communication about what's going on (like truck, this way, let's go, go lay down, stick around) and then commands that are specific behaviors where compliance is mandatory and instant (sit, down, here, get in, hup, wait, out, leave it, go suk).

There are no hard fast rules unless you are on a sport that requires certain behaviors. Whatever works best in your life with your dog is how you should train. The more time your dog spends with you, the more they understand day to day life. Successfully shaping the behaviors you want to see in the dog in day to day life is the best part of training (to me).
Completely off topic, but what does “go suk” mean?

·
Registered
286 Posts
"Such", pronounced Sook suk, means "look for" or "search." Like follow a ground scent, e.g.

Back to topic, I'm never unhappy when our dogs pee before a trip of any length, so long as the pee stop is pretty much a quick taking care of business before hopping in the truck. If they peed, sniffed around for a few more minutes, or looked for squirrels and thought about chasing them, then I would feel dissed.

My street can be semi-busy for a residential street. It is not a country lane. It's maybe 30' from my front step to the street. People park on the street, and if a dog came out from between parked cars they could be struck before a car even saw them coming. Plus there is a leash law. So mine are usually on leashes in the front yard. One hundred percent is the only passing grade for having them off leash adjacent to streets. And that test lasts the dog's entire lifetime. 99.975% would be a failing grade. So we leash them near roads that see traffic.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well "sook" or "suk" or whatever phonetic. But I'm pretty sure the German is "such," though I've not taken any spelling tests in English or German for a long time. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,968 Posts
Completely off topic, but what does “go suk” mean?
Search for a trained odor. Actually "go" is a send away, "suk" is search. He's trained on the 3 Nosework odors. For a bomb dog, that could be any number of trained odors. A cadaver dog would search for body parts. And so on.

I like the Dutch commands, so those are what I use.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I take my dogs in the car with me a lot these days, like almost every time. They need a different routine and they love the ride. Often it's just 10 minutes to the grocery store or 5 minutes to the post office or gas station. Yesterday it was an hour to a cool covered bridge and a hike.

But short or long drive, I always take them across the drive for a pee before we leave. They both always go, every time even if they just went a short while ago. That's because a lot of the time, we're going 3 hours to the cottage and we never stop; they know to be prepared.

However, "get up" means get in the truck, no delays, no detours. And Harley always gets first position. So in your position, I would have either taken him to the spot to pee or told him to get in your truck. Not an in between. A telling sign would have been to call him off from visiting the bush.

But from all I read, your dog is quite well behaved and your buddy is off base.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have been going through a similarly weird situation for the last couple of months.

Often, after I get done playing outside with Ole, I call him as I walk towards the doors. Instead of coming straight in, he slowly wanders towards me, then he stops to take a break and stares straight at me while he pees.

For several weeks, I was getting concerned that he was getting defiant. I thought about responding to your thread the other day. After reading and thinking about the responses in that thread, I have come to the conclusion that he is 'planning ahead.' Heading inside means no more potty breaks until I bundle myself back up to take him outside.

So it is a "Go now or forever hold your pee" sort of situation.

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
If you want your dog to go directly to the crate then just put more value on the crate. My dogs will run you over heading for their crates. The only reason I would object to him stopping to pee first is sending them to their crates can be an emergency command. If I say Crate, I want them heading there at full speed.

Otherwise, I don't worry about what people who I'm not paying for their opinion have to say.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Next time your friend needs to pee, tell him your toilet isn't in working order but you'll drive him to a working toilet half an hour away.

Let the dog pee and stop worrying about what other people say or think about your dog.
Very wise advice, thank you! Plus you made me laugh. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts