German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello people. I fear my 6 years old German Shepherd isn't hearing well.
Let me explain what leads me to think this.

My female GSD Annie made 6 years on 13 February and lately I've been noticing that when visits arrive home, she acts frighten like didn't heard them arrive.

Normally when she heard something, she would turn her ears towards the place she heard the noise from and would either bark or come to me and touch my leg with her hand.

Nowadays, she sometimes does this as usual but other times, nothing, its like she's surprised as I'm.

Note: I just noticed I placed this in the puppy section, can a moderator move it please. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Hearing loss is pretty normal in senior dogs, just as in senior people. Your dog is a little young for it though.

My 11 y.o. has lost a lot of hearing. He no longer hears me when he's in the yard and I call him. If I clap loudly though, he picks that up, so my hunch is that it's higher pitched noises that they lose first. We trained with hand signals when he was young, and he still remembers them, so a lot of what we do is just shifting our style of communication.

Have you had a vet check her ears, to make sure there's no infection or other underlying condition?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take her often to the vet, about every five or six months.
She had her last vet checkup four months ago, he didn't found nothing wrong with her.
All her vaccines are in check, her feeding and drinking habits remain the same and she doesn't smell oddly from her hears, but I guess if it was infection it would take a bit to give out any smell?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I think I'd take her in specifically to investigate the reason for the hearing loss. If it's early on-set of being a senior, that's one thing, but if there's something else going on, you want to find out, in case it's fixable. Only your vet can tell you why your dog isn't hearing right now.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
She could have an inner ear infection. I would ask your vet to check blood for infection and really look at her ears good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey people, here I'm again.

So Annie will be alright, you were right Loneforce she had an inner ear infection.

The vet said she has "otitis interna" which caused the production of something like "pus" or how it should be called, and this caused her to become partially deaf, he also said that usually the body is able to clear this "pus" of sorts and hearing would improve gradually.

The infection isn't severe and Annie now only has to take her medication and she will be fine. He also said to take her in again in a few days to see if the meds are working as expected and to see if her body begins to clear this "pus".

He said the actual name of this thing I call "pus" but I cannot remember how is it named.

He said the common causes that can lead to this, mites for example, but she never had problems with it. Odd isn't it.

Well, hopefully she will be alright and I will be keeping an eye on her to see how she reacts to her meds.
Thanks everybody.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts