German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I got a nasty whiff from Shania's ears. For 11 years she's needed them cleaned MAYBE once a month and just had them cleaned out the middle of last month.

So I lift up her ear and there is nasty black gritty ewwww stuck to her hair and all down in her ear that was not there the week before. It's definitely NOT what I usually clean out.

I've trimmed around her ears, cut (yes CUT) out the black stuff that was protruding and have been cleaning her ears out twice a day to get the rest of it loosened up and out.

Her left side is getting better, but the right keeps filling back up with black ****.

She's always had a problem with tear staining around her eyes. Lately its been getting worse on her feet between her licking and melting snow. That may be the source of the yeast in her ears (foot scratching her ear). Of course, she could always be reacting to the Iams food she got into when "Buddy" was here.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, yeast. Vet confirmed at lunch today.

Have a tube of Otomax to use for the next 7 days.

Vet thought it might have been a diet issue too. She got into the visiting dog's food while he was here and that's the only new stuff. There's a reason I switched her off of Iams years ago.

So we got the meds, we got the bitter spay for her feet (to get her to stop licking those), and right now the poor thing has her ears tied back with a ponytail holder by the fringes so they can breathe a little better.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
We've used Otomax on Gunnar when his ears got bad. Between flushing them a couple times a day and the Otomas, you'll see results pretty fast. (at least we did)
We also used the cheapest triple antibiotic ointment (not the creme) we could find at Walgreens between his toes. That worked really good. Cleared up really fast and he hated the stuff, taste wise, so he left his paws alone. Just getting to stop licking helps clear it up faster.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We've used Otomax on Gunnar when his ears got bad. Between flushing them a couple times a day and the Otomas, you'll see results pretty fast. (at least we did)
We also used the cheapest triple antibiotic ointment (not the creme) we could find at Walgreens between his toes. That worked really good. Cleared up really fast and he hated the stuff, taste wise, so he left his paws alone. Just getting to stop licking helps clear it up faster.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tip for her feet. She's almost completely white, so pinkish brown feet (and front leg now) are not that appealing. Been using "Show-Off" rinse free shampoo and "A-1 All Systems" whitening gel on the advises of Tzu breeder but it doesn't help that much. Probably be cause it's just bleaching the hair and leaving the bacteria to grow back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts