German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to "get'm cut." i was gona wait until tyson was 1.5 years old but i think its time. he's getting to be very dominant with other dogs and i think that if i get them cut now i could nip this problem in the butt. also what effects could/will this have on his growth, and what do u guys think about the "calming down" myth??

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Personally, (With Dublin) I found that the tendency to be confrontational with other males calmed down significantly..................The others never kept "thiers" past 7 months......

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Personally, I think that if you are neutering your dog just because he is developing behavioral issues is kinda wrong. I think you should try to fix his undesired behavior first.

Neuturing early on can stunt his growth, but who's to say it will? Nothing is guarenteed. Give it some time, even see a trainer if you have to, but if in the end he needs to be neutured, at least you know you tried to fix his behavior first.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
The whole "calming down" thing IS a myth. Sounds to me like he needs to learn not to be a "jerk" to other dogs. Neutering doesn't do that. Sound slike he is turning into a "teenager". Also "generally" animals that are neuteres before they are adults can tend to be a little taller and narrower than ones that get to keep their hormones.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: GSD07I was always wondering why the majority of dogs in Europe are so well behaved in comparison with the United States. Probably because they are not neutered
most of them also carry the herpes virus...

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Oh, those naughty European dogs
Steve, if you believe that herpes in dogs is aquired only as a venereal disease and only in Europe then you may want to do some more research before making such statements.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Of course it is difficult to make the jump that they are well behaved in Europe because they are not neutered.

There are a variety of factors that I am sure would create a difference like that.

Including only taking dogs out and about that are well behaved (where we seem to have no such compunction), being raised in closer quarters, differences in obedience, and I am sure there are many other factors.

I just don't want people to read and not think of how that could be the logical jump. Could it be a factor? No idea, but it would not be what I would imagine could be THE reason for a type of behavior.

Just pointing that out!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Jean, I was a little sarcastic with my statement. Here in the States people believe that a neuter is a substitute for training. When the dog has problems the first suggestion is to neuter as soon as possible and only then to see IF the dog needs training. It really buffles me as I believe it should be the other way around.

Just for the record, my girl Yana became more aggressive after her spay surgery. Also it's funny when people who haven't seen her for a while say how well behaved she is now and they always add
'Oh, it's because you spayed her.' Yeah, right, and the hours and hours of training every day don't count, of course.

My point was that neutering is not a behaviour fix otherwise we would have an angel dog in every household around here.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSD07Jean, I was a little sarcastic with my statement. Here in the States people believe that a neuter is a substitute for training. When the dog has problems the first suggestion is to neuter as soon as possible and only then to see IF the dog needs training. It really buffles me as I believe it should be the other way around.

Just for the record, my girl Yana became more aggressive after her spay surgery. Also it's funny when people who haven't seen her for a while say how well behaved she is now and they always add
'Oh, it's because you spayed her.' Yeah, right, and the hours and hours of training every day don't count, of course.

My point was that neutering is not a behaviour fix otherwise we would have an angel dog in every household around here.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I have to agree I am having some issues with Brady.
Talked to my trainer and we are setting something up and no he is not neutered

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: GSD07Oh, those naughty European dogs
Steve, if you believe that herpes in dogs is aquired only as a venereal disease and only in Europe then you may want to do some more research before making such statements.
ok maybe not most but here ya go Oksana...

http://www.vetanimalhouse.co.uk/hottopic_canineherpes.asp

yea ur right there not only in europe but i did have to make that comment

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally Posted By: GSD07Well, here's a link for you then
http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/vhr2.html . If you read the fifth paragraph you'll see that the dog can get the virus from your clothing
The conclusion is 'No breeding should be un-planned'.

No problem about your comment, I love a good discussion
hmmm...well if i ever get herpes i will blame it on my shirt

·
Registered
601 Posts
Steve, Meb and Shay were both neutered at 6 months of age. I had them neutered because here in the country the majority of our neighbors dont contain their dogs at all and they are left to roam the neighborhood. (Our neighborhood consist of 3 miles away.) I didnt want to take any chances even though my dogs are only outside when I am or in their kennel outside. I did read somewhere though that if you neuter before 18 months the dog has a higher chance of getting cancer. I agree that you should work on the aggression issues first. Has Tyson been socialized as a pup and was ok with other dogs but just recently changed?? I am a big Cesar Millan fan--have you read his books. I have noticed with ME being "Calm Assertive" my dogs are responding to me much better and are looking to me more for direction. Are you getting nervous when Tyson sees another dog wondering if he will react?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts