German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saber is 12 weeks old now and was shipped in a Vari Kennel type plastic crate. It measures approx. 24" L x 16" W x 20" H and Saber cannot stretch out in it anymore, and when she sits her ears hit the top.

I want to get another of the same type (plastic Vari Kennel type) as she loves it in there.

What size do you think I should get? She is growing fast... not sure if I should go super big now or if that will cause potty training regression (she has NO accidents in her crate, ever). But don't want to buy a new crate every 3 months either.

Help??

(and if you know a good source/price somewhere I'd appeciate that too!)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I would get the full sized one. I raised many puppies using an XL varikennel and they didn't have any problems with the extra space.

The XL was the right size for 70 pound Chama but too small for 80 pound Basu (even though he loved to cram himself in there).

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would get the 500 or x- large 40" high. You can sometimes find them on CL. I thought that size would be fine for Karlo, but he outgrew it so I bought(inve$ted) in the 700 giant 48" high
Vari-kennels are nice, but don't ventilate like a wire, so if the weather is warm and your AC isn't on, she may get too warm.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vari-kennels are nice, but don't ventilate like a wire, so if the weather is warm and your AC isn't on, she may get too warm.
Oh... you know, I was *just* reading another old thread on this and it does get super hot here in the desert.. into the 100's in summer frequently. I usually put on the a/c once it hits 85ish.

Now I am wondering if the wire is the way to go just for ventilation.

Good suggestion to look on CL. I will go there now.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I'd go wire......and if you do a 48" will do it. Most of the time they come with a divider so you can limit space for potty training/crate training.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I'm with Renee, I prefer wire and my dogs do to,,go with the biggie and use a divider if you wish..I went to the biggie when masi was small and never used the divider, never had any potty accidents, if you think she likes in enclosed,,cover it up :)

They make great end tables too LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ya, I started with the 48" wire and cover from the start. Ours came from Walmart at about 75.00, but no divider. He's been in it 7 weeks now and only 1 accident (the first night he was in it)

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I have the 48" wire crate as well.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the input! Here's what I think I am going to do.

I think I'll go get a plastic crate from Petsmart, probably the XL size, and use it for a couple months. When the weather gets hot I'll buy a 48" wire crate for in the house, and use the plastic one in the car for transport.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Selzer tipped me off to this beautiful invention, once your pup is old enough, you may want to try an exercise pen... they're made of crate-type panels, with a crate door and they're super easy to maintain and move around!
When I vacuum, I just smoosh in one side, then the other... I don't need to worry about removing the bottom panel because there isn't one.
If you need space you can just flatten it out and prop it up against the wall... it's great!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The wire crates are great because they break down flat if your dog doesnt ride in the crate in the car/truck

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use a wire one now, its pretty big, the XL i think and our 9 month pup has plenty of room in there. Is it bad for them to have extra room? I was thinking about getting a really nice crate from leerburg, but am having a hard time justifying an 800 dollar crate to myself

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Selzer tipped me off to this beautiful invention, once your pup is old enough, you may want to try an exercise pen... they're made of crate-type panels, with a crate door and they're super easy to maintain and move around!
I can see Saber jumping out of an exercise pen or better yet just knocking it over and going on about her business!! :)

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I like the wire crates and I add a sheet over the top so its more like a den. Enzo likes his covered at night ( mister King that he is) Max liked the same until he started sleeping in my Bedroom on his pillow

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I can see Saber jumping out of an exercise pen or better yet just knocking it over and going on about her business!! :)
OH yes, exactly. In fact she has nearly cleared the baby gate at the top of the steps... thank goodness she glanced over it first and noticed the DROP! She can really jump. Last night I was sitting in the recliner and she was on her dog bed across the room one second, and then suddenly she had her nose in my mouth before I knew what hit me.

Lucky me, a friend actually GAVE me their XL Pet Porter crate, so she is in that now and I will move it to the car for transport in the summer when I get a wire one for the house.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
These dogs are extremely agile! Chase clears the baby gate..

I have wire crates in the house.. Chaos is in 42" L and Chase is in the 48" and vari kennels in the truck..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts