German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I read an article in the local paper that a dog bit a 4 year old girl in the face. It was a puncture wound, but the girl did not need stitches. From the description, it sounds like a neighbor who moved and her dog. This neighbor moved last year, but has a daughter in the area where the bite occurred. She has a nasty dog that has bitten several people, I don't know how she has gotten away with it for so long. The dog is an Australian cattle dog. The newspaper article says that animal control is looking for the owner, who left the scene without even waiting to see how the girl was.

What would you do? It may not be her at all.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I understand your concern, but what if you're wrong? Could cause a whole lotta hardship if you are..Why not just wait a while and see what happens..Maybe the person will stand up and do what is right on her own...jan

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
This is a tough one. You could be wrong. Would the witness be able to positively idenify the woman and the dog? Can the rabies shots be delayed for them to find her?

Me, I'm always trying to help, and in this case the help would be the 4 year old girl avoiding the shots. I'd call animal control with my information and let them determine if this is the dog or not.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I think I'd do some detective work on my own first. Find out where the bite happened, drive to that location in the evening and see if you see your old neighbor..or thier car. I suspect they've ditched the dog already. If they are in that location, then I'd go to the police and tell them what I know.

Hec, you could maybe even do some google research and see if you can find anything out.

If you feel the need to get involved, for the sake of the little girl, do more than making a phone call. It could clear them, or it could blame them beyond any doubts.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They would never ditch the dog, I know that for sure. They are wonderful dog owners, and have gone above and beyond for their other dog. That dog is just nasty, and they shield the dog as much as possible. As the mother of a small child, as much as I love dogs, I don't want a dog that bites.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
They would never ditch the dog, I know that for sure. .
So the owner AND the dog left the scene of the bite? Or did the owner leave the dog at the scene? I thought at first that the owner had left the dog behind when they took off, but now I am not sure?

Is animal control asking for the public's assistance in finding the dog and/or the owner? If the person you know is familiar to the neighborhood where the bite occurred, having been there visiting the daughter before, why haven't the neighbor's of the daughter come forward to identify the dog? It sounds like there was enough time for witnesses to see the dog, did anyone pay attention to where the dog went after the bite or who took off with the dog after the bite?
Sheilah

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
OK I would go forward then. Rabies shots are NOT cool, especially for a little child :( If the PD or AC came to my door asking about my dogs I'd be OK answering questions. I don't want little kids bit any more than anyone else even if it means clearing my own dogs. I would tell them what you know, don't go out of your want to try to track down the woman. That's their job. If they feel it's worth pursuing, then they will. If not, then you did your job.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the owner AND the dog left the scene of the bite? Or did the owner leave the dog at the scene? I thought at first that the owner had left the dog behind when they took off, but now I am not sure?

Is animal control asking for the public's assistance in finding the dog and/or the owner? If the person you know is familiar to the neighborhood where the bite occurred, having been there visiting the daughter before, why haven't the neighbor's of the daughter come forward to identify the dog? It sounds like there was enough time for witnesses to see the dog, did anyone pay attention to where the dog went after the bite or who took off with the dog after the bite?
Sheilah
The owner left the scene with the dog. Yes animal control is looking for the dog and owner. I can understand why the owner fled, because it is likely the dog will be labeled dangerous and/or put down.

·
Registered
392 Posts
As the mother of a small child, as much as I love dogs, I don't want a dog that bites.
You have to make the call. I know you're worried about them losing their dog, but imagine how the mother of the child that got bit is feeling right now.

[/QI can understand why the owner fled, because it is likely the dog will be labeled dangerous and/or put down.UOTE]

I'm sorry, but I can't. Being a responsible dog owner and citizen means that you accept the consequences of your actions and your dogs actions. Yes, it might have been an accident, unintentional, out of the owners control etc. And it might mean the dog gets labeled or put down.

But you don't flee. That's just wrong.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I understand your concern, but what if you're wrong? Could cause a whole lotta hardship if you are..Why not just wait a while and see what happens..Maybe the person will stand up and do what is right on her own...jan
I have changed my opinion now that I hear about the rabies shots..You should do anything you can to help--Right or wrong..If you think you have info, then you should share it...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I would call AC only if the child/parent gave a description that fit this dog, just the same location as the victim is too vague in my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts