German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every so often I see a thread on this forum regarding someone wanting to know what they can do to make their GSD protective. When I see that all I can think is give your GSD 100% of yourself, and your GSD will give 100% of themselves.

I came home last night after a long and grueling work related trip. Hubby was out of town so it was just me and the dogs. I was cranky and tired and didn't feel like fixing myself something to eat. So while I unpacked I nibbled on jerky and drank iced tea.

Maggie (Doxie) and Hondo (GSD) laid quietly in my bedroom watching me put away my things. I had the TV on for some white background noise.

At one point I sat down at the desk in the bed room. It has a little stool that fits nicely under it. It's on rollers so that it can be easily moved under the desk out of the way. Swinging my feet up on the desk, I leaned back against our bed to watch TV. All the while nibbling on jerky and drinking iced tea.

I looked over at Hondo and Maggie and realized that they have been quiet and not begging for jerky. With a mouth full of jerky, I attempted to say "What good dogs you are!", but when I breathed in a chunk of jerky went down into my windpipe and lodged there.

I couldn't get any air in to cough. Swinging my legs off the desk and facing the dogs, I sat straight up in an attempt to dislodge the jerky. I was making gurgling noises as I tried to get some air in. I suspect both dogs thought I was playing as they jumped up and came to me. Hondo stuck his face right into mine. I reached forward attempting to use Hondo to aid me in standing up, when for what ever reason Hondo jumped up, full force hitting me square under the jaw, knocking me backwards off the chair and onto my back. He landed...all 90lbs of him on top of me...forcing everything up and out.

I managed to roll over and cough until I saw stars. When I was able to get control of my breathing and my heart, I looked over at Hondo. He was just sitting there watching me with the eyes of the oldest soul I've ever known. As I sat back on my heels marveling at what just happened, Hondo rolled over and played dead (he still can't control the thumping of his tail) . He still wanted some of that jerky! Obviously, I just couldn't refuse.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Gave me goosebumps! Thank goodness you're ok! Nice job Hondo. :)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Oh my! Thank goodness your ok!

Good boy Hondo, good boy! I hope you gave him the whole bag of jerky, he deserved it!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm so glad your ok. Hondo is a lifesaver.

I don't know if anyone here has experienced this but it is, and was the most frightening thing that has ever happened to me.

I think Hondo truely understood what he was doing and why. Give him a massive treat from me :)

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
WOW! Good boy Hondo!!! Glad you are ok

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh my! Thank goodness your ok!

Good boy Hondo, good boy! I hope you gave him the whole bag of jerky, he deserved it!
I gave him the rest that I had in the bedroom. I think it'll be a long time before I eat jerky again!

I even let Hondo sleep on Hubby's side of the bed. Normally he isn't allowed on the bed. He stayed for a good while, then jumped off and slept in the shower.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Wow what an intense story. Im glad you are ok too. Hondo saved your life!! I would get him a big bone for Christmas :D....

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Hondo the Hero - I think that sounds pretty good!

Your story gave me chills - please give him a big meaty bone on my behalf! What a goooooood boy!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Oh my God, I'm so glad you're okay!!! Wow, what a story, that's so amazing that Hondo did that. I wonder if he knew what he was doing? I guess probably not, but gosh, what a miracle that he jumped on you like that.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
omg I'm so glad you're ok good boy Hondo!!!!!!! give him a big hug and kiss for me!!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh my God, I'm so glad you're okay!!! Wow, what a story, that's so amazing that Hondo did that. I wonder if he knew what he was doing? I guess probably not, but gosh, what a miracle that he jumped on you like that.

My theory is that because I was doing something out of normal, it excited Hondo and he couldn't figure out what I wanted. He was confused and most likely a bit aggitated that I wouldn't make it clear what I wanted. Because I was facing him, he figured I was directing him to do something for the jerky. Out of frustration he jumped on me.

If I didn't have a close relationship with my dog, he would have just continued to look at me or possibly grabbed the bag of jerky and ran off. But because we do have a close relationship, he recognized that something totally different was going on and he really wanted to give to me what I was asking for. And in this case, he most certainly did.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Glad your ok! And kuddos to Hondo!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts