German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much exercise is too much and whats too little.

How in the world do you keep your pups from jumping? Mine is a frog...

Zeus just turned 6 month and I worry everyday if what he does is dangerous, if it's ok and normal or are we doing too little with him. Here are some bullets to make it easier.

• Our floors are tile, we barely have any grass outside. Zeus tries to jump, he will jump after a fly a moth or anything at all and now starting to jump up on all 4! before it was just two front paws.

• Our bed is just the 2 mattresses on the floor, he speeds up in the hallway, jumps on and off the bed.

• Lot's of zoomies on tile floor...

• Chaises rain on concrete area by the pool or any water droplets from the screen after the rain. Has taken a spill a couple of times by slipping, sigh.

• We go on walks, we never pull him to keep going and let him take rests, but now he walk allot without stopping (we try mostly walks on grass) and he loves to randomly go into a burst of fast fast running! my husband runs with him when the pup takes off, but now he can go past 5 or more houses at top speed, I worry, but Zeus just loves it. He runs in these short fast bursts at the park as well.

• More jumping on all 4, lots more. How in the world would I even begin to train him not to have fun?

• I take Z on a short 10 min slow walk every morning before work, than after work we go to the park where he can run, play and sometimes with a few friend dogs. later in the evening he zoomies around the house, chaises his ball etc.

• The only time he gets super tired and sleeps is when we take him to the beach where he runs up and down the shoreline until he collapses and it's time to pile him into the car and go home.

I think that I am being way over protective because i am so clueless, but I hear so many people say don't let them run, don't let them jump. Well how exactly do you not "let them" do that when I am not purposely throwing a ball so high that he has to jump to get it? He chooses to jump =(

Anyways just a worried mom here =/ thank you for feedback!

P.S. he comes from such strong schutzhund bloodlines and is very high drive, I heard that it's harder to raise a hard drive puppy and now i see why, he just keeps going and going! I need some of those batteries...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona is a jumper too. My bed is taller and she would jump up on it then fly off it and run a loop around the house. Sounds like he would be a natural for agility. It might be good to redirect his energy. About injury, it is definitely possible. But it is a risk with anything. Fiona has tore her paw pads several times, but I still let her be a nut and have fun. I figure that is why I have insurance. It is like a kid, no jumping off the roof, but jumping on the bed is ok.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fiona is a jumper too. My bed is taller and she would jump up on it then fly off it and run a loop around the house. Sounds like he would be a natural for agility. It might be good to redirect his energy. About injury, it is definitely possible. But it is a risk with anything. Fiona has tore her paw pads several times, but I still let her be a nut and have fun. I figure that is why I have insurance. It is like a kid, no jumping off the roof, but jumping on the bed is ok.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
We did jump off the roof when I was a kid, trampoline and no parents home LOL.

Ya we use bag balm on his pads once a week and they are so perfect and smooth. I think he will be good at agility or flyball, he loves sharp turns.... It stops my heart when i see him turn corners into rooms at top speed. We have insurance for him as well, but still i would not want HD or ED because of puppy play, but not 100% sure what to do. i try training to calm his crazy, but he finds time to zoomie anyways.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have heard the same things as you, and people seem to address the issue in varying ways.

I don't take my pup on long runs. We'll go a couple of blocks, walk and rest, do a couple more blocks running at the end. I don't encourage him to do any jumping on hard surfaces (but if he wants to jump after his ball on grass, I don't worry). He can jump into and out of wife's car, but not my truck.

For me, it's all about a bit of moderation. Concerns about injury and behavioral problems from non-exercised pups are just as great as concerns about injury due to their playfulness. Just have to find a middle road!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts