German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dane... I don't know what to do with him anymore. He is running my dogs over on purpose anytime we are outside. The problem is I have to keep him with the others, if I don't he will take the entire house apart. He already took the bedroom apart, no crate is holding him, I personally can't hold him on the leash. He just ran over Indra, literally STOMPED over her back with all four. My god I though he broke her back.

I can't wait for this dog to be gone.

Worst part, I think I've made a horrible, horrible mistake. They more I think about it, they more I believe that he actually ran over Zenzy and that she responded the only way she knew to keep him off.

When I took this video I thought it was innocent but this is getting serious, especially when he's running over the puppy. He could easily injure one of my dogs.

Any ideas of what I can do? I don't want him to be out with my dogs anymore but the only other option would be him tearing up the house out of frustration.

And crating him is not an option either. Dogs like that are way to strong. To be honest... I don't understand why we have to breed dogs that big and strong that nobody can hold them or nothing can restrain them.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you take him out with you but keep him on leash and a prong so that you can control him?

How much longer will he be with you?
It's ten days until the owners come back and they will stay with us for another 30 days until they PCS.

He's an absolute sweetie as long as he's in the house. A total couch potatoe and very cuddly but as soon as he's outside and gets his five minutes there is no holding and he just starts running and doesn't care where he's running.

I guess I have to get a prong... and see if I can hold or simply put mine into the crate and have him outside and tire him out as much as possible...

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Everytime the Dane almost runs your dog over, your dog looks at him like "what the heck is your problem".

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everytime the Dane almost runs your dog over, your dog looks at him like "what the heck is your problem".
You should have seen how he ran over Indra. She was screaming and the first minutes I seriously thought "That's it..."
She seems to be fine and it looks like it's just bruises but I can't look inside her so I take her to the vet once hubby gets home, just in case.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
You should have seen how he ran over Indra. She was screaming and the first minutes I seriously thought "That's it..."
She seems to be fine and it looks like it's just bruises but I can't look inside her so I take her to the vet once hubby gets home, just in case.

Mrs. K I know what you mean, the Rottweiler that used to live with me played extremely rough and hurt my GSD's hips several times. He ran all over him, jumped on him and shoved him to the point where he completely knocked him over multiple times.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mrs. K I know what you mean, the Rottweiler that used to live with me played extremely rough and hurt my GSD's hips several times. He ran all over him, jumped on him and shoved him to the point where he completely knocked him over multiple times.
If it was a GSD I wouldn't have a problem. Yukon and Indra play rough but this is like a GSD "chewing" a poodle and at one point it's just to much, especially when it's to the point where a dog could be injured.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Is there a tree or something that you can put a tieout on for him while you are outside with yours, that way he gets to come out but is contained by something he can't pull?

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a tree or something that you can put a tieout on for him while you are outside with yours, that way he gets to come out but is contained by something he can't pull?
DOH! I could have thought about that myself. I actually have a tie-out he can't possibly destroy because it's made of steel...

Can't believe I didn't think of that myself... sometimes I'm just blind...:help:

·
Registered
30,381 Posts
I've seen another Great Dane play once and it was very similar to this guy. Is he doing it on purpose? Yes. Is he doing it to be malicious? I doubt it. It's his play style. Much like GSD's have a play style. Since your dogs are obviously not comfortable with it, then you need to let him loose separately.

Isn't this house his? Before you moved in? What kind of training does he have?

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
what about letting the Dane out first, let him get his energy out, then let your three out? the tie the Dane to a tree

·
Registered
231 Posts
You have these things you can drill into the ground and you can attach a leash to it. Maybe if you tie him onto that with a long leash, he can't run over your dogs, but your dogs can meet him if they desire so. Or if that's not working in the snow, maybe try a tree? :) I'm not an expert, but that's what I'd do since you say you're unable to hold him yourself.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd tie him out on a chain or cable (to a tree, away from anything he can harm) he can't chew through while you're outside with your dogs.

He is definitely "bouncing" on your dogs on purpose--he's lucky one of your dogs hasn't decided to "ventilate" him.
Actually, it did happen. Zenzy attacked him and he had a huge hole in his flank and had to be stitched up. It happened the day before she went completely mad. Meanwhile I wonder if it had anything to do with the Big Dane.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:(

I guess I missed hearing about that with Zenzy. What happened?

She went after Audie and after the others too. I took her to the vet and had her euthanized the 22nd of January. It was the worst thing I've ever done in my life and I still can't get over it that I did it.
Ever since she's gone we actually have peace in the house. The hostility is gone. Ever since she had Pyometra she wasn't the same dog anymore. I've written about her aggression issues from day one... my mother said that it wasn't fair what I did to her. Maybe it wasn't but to be honest I just couldn't take it anymore. When she injured the dane and went after Yukon something snapped inside me and I had to make a decision. Maybe it was the wrong decision but even if it was, I can't change it anymore.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Don't beat yourself up all over again - seemed like the right decision then and it still does! You didn't have much of a choice.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts