German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just adopt my new best friend Pearl a 14month female. She is very smart when it comes to commands such as sit, stay, and come. The only thing I have trouble with is putting a leash her on. Every time I try to walk her she tries to fight it and just lies down. The recent owner also mentions that Pearl has never ever in her life been on a leash. What do I do speed up this process? I don’t want to make this to be a treat to her.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Let her wear it around the house until she's comfortable with it. I wouldn't force it on her, just let her hang out with it.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Like Jenn said, let her drag the leash around the house. Maybe start with just the leash on the ground with a treat on it. Let her approach and take the treat. Try dipping a finger in peanut butter and have her slowly licking that off AS you hook up the leash for her to drag around. Every time you touch the leash give her a treat. Pick up the leash- treat. Hold the leash- TREATS.

I would start off with a smaller leash if you have one or can borrow one. It would be a major set back to have a 6 foot leash dragging behind her and get caught on something and really scare her.

ONLY do this when she can be immediately supervised.

Once she is comfortable with that maybe wrap one around your waist and encourage her to walk around the house with you and give her LOTS of treats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts