German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok for dogs to have vanilla ice cream? Mikka absolutely LOVES the stuff. I should shoot a video of her eating ice cream and upload it here....ya’ll would probably die laughing. :D

I only give her a very small amount, probably the equivalent of 1 small scoop and always vanilla (no chocolate). But before I give her any more, I thought I’d better double-check on whether or not it’s OK. I’m pretty sure it's fine, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
929 Posts
i sneak shilo ice cream shhh ;) haha i dont think its bad just not alot i guess (:)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I'd ask your vet, but I know milk isn't good for dogs in large amounts because they're lactose intolerant I guess what I mean is you can give dairy to them they'll just get really bad diarrhea. when they're puppies they have the enzyme that helps them break down the dairy ie their mothers milk hence why they can nurse once they're weaned they lose the enzyme. one of my students asked me why cats and dogs can't drink milk so I looked it up lol. But I'd ask your vet just to be sure, but i'm pretty sure in small amounts it'll be fine. You know they actually make ice cream specifically for dogs.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I heard some grocery store sell ice cream made especially for dogs. Some people around the block from me feed it to their 2 labs and they love it.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yes plain vanilla Ice cream is fine. You want the real stuff though and not anything lite, or no sugar added. Frozen yogurt should be ok as well. Breeder will actually feed their bitches ice cream when whelping. Just remember all things in moderation. :) So a small scoop should be ok occasionally

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I heard some grocery store sell ice cream made especially for dogs. Some people around the block from me feed it to their 2 labs and they love it.
my uncle used to give that to my dogs they loved it they don't get it anymore though

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark is a fan of strawberry ice cream... lol.

If we go out for ice cream, he always gets a kiddie cone or the rest of mine.. lol.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The Hooligans have always been given vanilla ice cream on special occassions and I never had one get ill from it. Kelly never got any the two years he was on the special low residue diet for SIBO but once he went back to a normal diet he enjoyed it without any problems. Of course I never give them a lot, one rounded scoop is the maximum any single individual ever gets.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Dakota got a small bowl of ice cream every night around 8pm for most of his life. (by small, we are talking about 2-3 tablespoons) It was the only way to give him his meds as well. He lived to nearly 14 years old.

My brother's husky LOVED ice cream. She even learned to say ice cream or should I say, warble the words ice cream. She "asked" for it every night.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
You can also buy frosty paws in the grocery store its ice cream for dogs just got Rorie and Anja some recently

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'm guilty of giving vanilla ice cream. We started that years ago, when we have dessert the dogs get a little spoon of ice cream, and the cats get milk. Dessert time can be a chore in my house. I try to get frozen yogurt and NO artificial sweetners.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I buy the frosty paws for the dogs.
When Karlo was young, after training we'd stop at McDonalds and he would get a babycone, made the 2 hour trip home easier!

·
Registered
594 Posts
My dogs all eat ice cream when we go for a cone. They get either a kiddie cup or a kiddie cone of vanilla. Once we went for a cone without the dogs (GASP!!), and the clerk knew us so well that he automatically got cones for the dogs, without us even asking. Our dogs can spot the Baskin & Robbins sign 2 blocks away....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yup my dogs get alittle bit. Nothing with giving them some as long as you don't go overboard :).

Plus i make my own doggy ice cream for them. Peanutbutter and plain/nonfat yogurt. Mix it up, put it in those small kiddie cups and stick it in the freezer. It's the dogs favorite summer treat!!.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Heidi recognizes McDonald's -- home of the $1 cone -- on sight ... or smell.

She is very good in the van and never crowds me or tries to get on me when I am driving. But when we go through the drive-up she creeps over until there are paws on my legs and a snout stretching across me.

I have a collapsible dish in the van. Cone in the dish, dish on the floor = happy Heidi.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up a box of Frosty Paws today. We’ll see how well she likes them. I also picked up a container of Cherry Garcia - for me – but I’m going to let Mikka sample it…I’d like to see how diverse her taste buds are! :D

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
mine are all ice cream lovers:)) we have a couple of ice cream joints around here that make doggie ice cream. Basically it's vanilla ice cream with chunks of dog biscuits..:)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Max loves to go to dairy queen and get a puppy cup of vanilla... I prefer haagen das, but he he doesn't care. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts