German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
does she do anything now to earn her food? At 8.5 weeks this is a little difficult because even if they know a sit command to "work" for their food, it wont be a long sit, more of a "ok i sat now i get to eat!" Try preparing her food while she isnt in the room. Then when you call her in to feed her, ask her to sit, then put the dish down. If she breaks her sit before the dish hits the floor, pick it back up and tell her "sit and WAIT". Then (once shes sitting) try again to place the dish to the floor. Repeat picking it back up and making her sit and wait again and again until you can place the dish on the floor and then say "OK" good girl!

Bear was the same way. He wouldn't even let me get the dish off the counter before he tried to climb up my leg and paw at the dish to get to it. He even knocked it out of my hand numerous times. This made me really frustrated because now i had a bagillion pieces of kibble all over the floor, under the stove and fridge, etc. So i started to make him sit and wait until the dish was securly on the floor, followed by a release command "OK" good boy! He picked it up in a matter of a few days. The first few times may take you a while to get, but as a minister, you know patience is a virtue! LOL Good Luck with your pup!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.