German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cruz seems to not be too affected by fireworks. He's 6 months now amd takes it well. I know because my idiot neighbors decided to start shooting fireworks around 9 pm lastnight and our bedroom is close to thier driveway where they were setting them off. They did this off and on for an hour and a half. Our city ordinance allows this up to 11pm from the 1st to through the 3rd! I think it annoyed us more than the dog! Work week and these idjuts are doing this stuff late at night. I hate the fourth anymore.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Actually this is a good reminder for our dogs to be leashed during "firework week". A lot of dogs get spooked and take off. Our trainer reminds us of this every year. Be mindful of that if your dog is at a public event or even at home.

I'm lucky, Rusty does not react to fireworks or even gun shots. My parents dog just shakes. I feel so bad for her. They will put her in the basement and turn a radio on, this is the only way she gets through the week. She's 13 and her mind has been made up years ago she hates them!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I dread the 4th, my oldest dog is the worst. I'm afraid he's gonna give himself cardiac arrest. The 2 girls get a little spooked but can still function. It never fails when I let them out to go potty, fireworks go off, he won't go out the door. Oh joy.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I live close enough to Disneyland to hear their fireworks every night. Fiona and Gilda ignore, but when nearby dummies shoot off fireworks, they jump up and look around.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts

Cruz seems to not be too affected by fireworks. He's 6 months now amd takes it well. I know because my idiot neighbors decided to start shooting fireworks around 9 pm lastnight and our bedroom is close to thier driveway where they were setting them off. They did this off and on for an hour and a half. Our city ordinance allows this up to 11pm from the 1st to through the 3rd! I think it annoyed us more than the dog! Work week and these idjuts are doing this stuff late at night. I hate the fourth anymore.
Wow! I'm glad I don't live in your city. Still we have illegal fireworks going off year round. This month we've had 3 explosions about midnight 30' from our back bedroom, that's a landscape area for condos. The people now are using M80 types and the super brilliant ones that light up the sky, that happened last night.

Our breeder raised our pup around loud pops and bangs so she wouldn't react. Her 1st 4th with us, she did OK. The second year I had her out on July 2nd, and two M80 types were exploded very close to us and it ruined her. One time we were in PetSmart and someone dropped a large box, the noise terrified my dog and we had to leave the store. As you can tell I hate the way the celebrations of Independence Day have morphed into lets have a war zone day. True meaning is lost.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! I'm glad I don't live in your city. Still we have illegal fireworks going off year round. This month we've had 3 explosions about midnight 30' from our back bedroom, that's a landscape area for condos. The people now are using M80 types and the super brilliant ones that light up the sky, that happened last night.

Our breeder raised our pup around loud pops and bangs so she wouldn't react. Her 1st 4th with us, she did OK. The second year I had her out on July 2nd, and two M80 types were exploded very close to us and it ruined her. One time we were in PetSmart and someone dropped a large box, the noise terrified my dog and we had to leave the store. As you can tell I hate the way the celebrations of Independence Day have morphed into lets have a war zone day. True meaning is lost.

I totally agree. I'm 44, and loved the fourth when I was a kid. Laws were different then. You could only shoot the fireworks the day of legaly. Firework stands were not allowed to sell until the day before. I coped with those laws. It drove me nuts as a kid, but it made it more fun when it was time to shoot them off. Now theh have laxed the laws in the name of money. It's all about the money. Every tent you see now is a fundraiser tent. Which is ok, but at least make the shooting times make sense. 10am to 11pm is rediculous for people who have to work and also work double shifts ect.

So far Cruz is coping well. We was at the vet lastnight for a general checkup and picked up some tranquilizers just in case. I don't use them unless it's really really bad. I just turn up the tv and put a floor fan on high. It general muffles the sounds very well.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
So far fireworks haven't been a problem for the dogs. I know of a certain urban redneck that relocated to the country. The man has a bloody elephant gun over there. The dogs really don't care, but I was putting up the sun screens of the kennels, and KABOOM!!!

I jumped out of my skin and shouted a few choice words. What the heck is he trying to hit over there. We don't have tigers in NE Ohio!

The guy on the other side shoots squirrels probably with a 22 an I have a shot gun, so it's not like I don't know what they sound like, but that guy has a cannon. And he doesn't wait for an excuse like July 4th to shoot it off. Sometimes really late at night too. But I can't complain with my crew being the welcoming committee every time I come or go.

The good news is that your neighbor is following the guidelines in your city ordinance. It could be a whole lot worse.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
All fireworks are illegal in my city, but the idiots still shoot off the illegal ones and they will go to the city next to ours to get the safe and sane kind. I took the whole week off, because I know I won't get much sleep this week. My oldest dog is terrified of the fireworks. We put a thunder shirt on him and try to get him to stay in the office with a tv on loud to drowned out the noises. The 4th is not my favorite holiday either.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm glad they're illegal in my county. they recently legalized them where my parents live and somebody shot some fireworks off from a boat and it caught their cabin on fire.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Oh plz the other night people were shooting off fireworks till 1 am and my house was shaking, I was so pissed off my kids couldn't go to sleep and poor Bella was a nervous wreck, I had half the mind to call the cops but figured why even bother.

I went outside to see where they were coming from but could not tell, just some people have no common courtesy and just inconsiderate :mad: or perhaps I'm getting a wee bit cranky in my old age :D

>>>Here is a whole lot worse lol

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Aw geez. I feel your pain. I was waiting until the sun went down to walk mine, and now I just feel like a jerk. Because the sun just went down, and the fireworks started, and my dogs are going CCRrAaaaZzYyyyy! No walkies tonight, my dears :(

Bad Me. My bad. Poor dogs.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Lol! Just realized... I'm about to open my door right back up. If we have to listen to their fireworks, they can listen to my reactive rescue dogs. At least Lillian's not cowering in the shower stall. She and Jack are so fired up, they look like they're ready to make a kill.

Aargh. That's probably not good for my dogs, either. But we can hear them either way :( It's gonna be a long night outside the city limits with no ordinances. Preset the coffee maker... To Full Strength, plus Some.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol! Just realized... I'm about to open my door right back up. If we have to listen to their fireworks, they can listen to my reactive rescue dogs. At least Lillian's not cowering in the shower stall. She and Jack are so fired up, they look like they're ready to make a kill.

Aargh. That's probably not good for my dogs, either. But we can hear them either way :( It's gonna be a long night outside the city limits with no ordinances. Preset the coffee maker... To Full Strength, plus Some.

My neighbors are like feet away in town. I always like to leave my front house outdoor lights on for them. Actually it should annoy them. But hey thats life hugh. I'm just glad so far that Cruz has handled it well. At least I haven't gotten an emergency text from my wife yet.

By the way. Just so you can fully understand my mindset for these fine folks. These are the same ones who let both of thier ankle biters poo in my sideyard. I already warned her once to keep her dogs in her yard to poo, but she informed me at the time she just had an inground pool installed and she didn't want them to track mud into her house........but it's alright for me to track her dogs poo into mine via the riding lawnmower. Yeh, and by the way she owns the privacy fence between our backyards.....thats about ready to fall into my backyard. But she has plenty of cash to buy outside furniture and a $20,000 pool but can't replace her fence. Not to mention having to drive through a mud river when the snow melted that came from her side yard because of said pool installation. Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Last year Schatzi did great during the 4th of July week with all the fireworks. She was doing great this week until last night. Some kids by my house decided to pop the cherry bomb fireworks and one of them popped very low to the ground. That freaked her out and after that every pop she heard for the rest of the night freaked her out. It got so bad that even the sound of the helicopters would freak her out. :(

My other dog Cudi noticed her freaking out. I was amazed that every time Schatzi would get scared Cudi would go over to her and just sit next to her. Cudi doesn't even pay attention to the fireworks at all. Hopefully between him and I we can keep her calm for the next few nights...

·
Registered
766 Posts
My poor guy is stuck to me like glue even more so because of the stupid fireworks. No barking or whining just him getting closer to me (middle of the night a big one went off and he ended up climbing on top of me)...im lucky he's not reactive in the sense he barks though. We live between two gun ranges so he's used to rifles going off. He's just not used to how close the fireworks are.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I hate it too. Scares poor Heidi till she almost won't go out to go to the bathroom. They are illegal in IA and I wish law enforcement would enforce. All my family and neighbors just think I'm a killjoy.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
AW, don't hate on the 4th. It's my b-day. Just hate the fireworks. LOL!

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I know how you feel, although we don't celebrate the fourth, we celebrate july 1st since that's canada day. My BIL lit a firework and threw it in Chrono's kennel in the backyard. I'm steaming with anger. They let that kid get away with murder just because he has bipolar disorder.
WTH! Was Chrono ok? If his parents think his condition is enough for him to get a free pass for such things then they should be keeping a better eye on him, that's completely reckless.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
They're illegal here, of course that doesn't stop people from setting them off. Luckily none of my pets were scared of them. The cats don't like when a lot of loud ones are going off at once though, but they don't freak out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts