German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kidding, sort of. I used to show horses, and when I was younger I competed in obedience with a couple of my dogs. I am a bit old, so methods taught were a bit older. My nature was to gentle things down, and I did. But I tried the whole pure positive thing and it was a total bust.
When I started with the patrol dogs we used KMODT.
When I started training Sabs I did things the way my boss required, and it didn't work for me. So Sabi and I discussed it and we agreed that when the boss was around or when we did our monthly recert she would pretend to be well trained so we could keep working.
When he asked if she could do detection work I asked and she said sure. So I showed her what I wanted her to find and promised treats if she found it. She never missed. Lol. Tracking was a bit more involved but basically the same. I told a kid to go to the park and hide, showed her his jacket and said get me a kid. She did. She found everyone I ever asked her to. No problem.
Shadow is ruled by her nose. So when I taught her to find things, I showed her the odor I wanted and said find it. She does. I use anise most often because I happened to have some oil when I decided to teach her, but we have used sandalwood, agrimony, cinquefoil or whatever else I have handy. It ain't always pretty but she finds it. Lol.
Tracking was the same. Instead of tracking a rabbit I want you to track humans. I don't know how to teach tracking, I just refocused what she does. And she is good. Again not pretty but she's tough to shake. She keeps her nose to the ground I would guess when she is sorting things out and is pretty methodical, then the head comes up and she picks up speed. Sometimes she will stop and circle with her nose in the air, then we are off again. She is never wrong, she always finds whoever I set her on.
Anyway, I joined this forum and realized that wow, we suck! Lol.
You all dedicate so much time and effort and work so hard to get things perfect and then there is me who says hey I'm kinda bored lets do stuff. I sort of feel bad! And a whole lot inferior. I really do want to do better. I'm just kind of lazy.
So I want you all to yell at me! Give me crap. Make me do better! Or just laugh at me and tell me I'm an idiot. Either way I'm really bored so have some fun with it.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I took Nyx to a nearby grade school field the other day (which has since been cordoned off with no trespassing signs and crime scene tape, sadly), and she picked up a scent of some critter.

She tracked to a gate, where she knew it went. But since I didn't open the gate to let her go find it, she methodically tracked it's every movement in that field. She was intense, sort of chuffing with her nose to the ground tracking it.

She does the exact same thing with people. We've had visitors at times and I put her in the backyard. Immediately when she comes in once they've gone she methodically tracks their movements through the house!

So it's not just the scent, but the age of the scent she's following!

With this COVID thing here lately I dug out the old scent boxes again.

Her signal, I taught her to lay down facing the target, is a little rusty and took a bit to relearn. But she never failed to find the right box...

Not sure what I could do to improve on that! So yeah, I'm with you. What "more" is there?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
My daughter who's visiting is shocked I don't pre-sort my dark and light coloured laundry. I sort by level of dirt, and I do wash my towels separately. It all comes out clean. What I did do right is teach my kids to pre-heat their mug before making a hot beverage. And right from wrong. My parenting style in a nutshell. Guess I'm coronavirus bored right now.

·
Super Moderator
5,628 Posts
You all just work so hard and put so much into training and I'm like the horrible parent who lets their kids play with lawn darts! Lol. I feel inferior, and a bit in awe.
Hey, I’m in your non-training camp. I like to joke that I’m not so sure Scarlet even knows her name. I definitely didn’t teach her to sit until she was 2. There was no reason to, lol. She does all the necessary dog stuff like backing up when I say back it up missy. Or get off the couch/bed/lawn chair immediately when I tell her.

I went to a GSD club meeting a few weeks ago, and we all brought our dogs, and my friends were trying to bully me into an impromptu obedience lesson. Eeeek. I said you guys leave us alone, you make me nervous with all your rules, lol.

Hey, she can prance around a show ring like a flashy pony. Sometimes that’s good enough for me.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My daughter who's visiting is shocked I don't pre-sort my dark and light coloured laundry. I sort by level of dirt, and I do wash my towels separately. It all comes out clean. What I did do right is teach my kids to pre-heat their mug before making a hot beverage. And right from wrong. My parenting style in a nutshell. Guess I'm coronavirus bored right now.
Someone was asking me about sorting laundry a while back, lol. I don't. Also don't iron. If it cannot survive being washed with its friends in cold water and tossed in a dryer or hung on a line it doesn't need to be here. Yes on heating mugs!

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, I’m in your non-training camp. I like to joke that I’m not so sure Scarlet even knows her name. I definitely didn’t teach her to sit until she was 2. There was no reason to, lol. She does all the necessary dog stuff like backing up when I say back it up missy. Or get off the couch/bed/lawn chair immediately when I tell her.

I went to a GSD club meeting a few weeks ago, and we all brought our dogs, and my friends were trying to bully me into an impromptu obedience lesson. Eeeek. I said you guys leave us alone, you make me nervous with all your rules, lol.

Hey, she can prance around a show ring like a flashy pony. Sometimes that’s good enough for me.
I'm pretty sure that as I age it gets harder to fight my real personality! I don't like rules, so I tend to shrug it off when the dogs are just dogs.
I used to try really hard to be perfect so people would like me, then I remembered that I don't like people! Lol.
Now I just try really hard to remember to get dressed BEFORE I go outside!
Anyway there are so many people on this forum who are so dedicated to training their dogs and I feel like I should try harder.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Well it does make the day less boring!

I taught Nyx a new trick. Wave. Doesn't matter that I wanted to teach her to limp. Got this far and liked the result, so I named it! Ta Da!

We'll work on limp next week!

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am working on that passive alert! She got it ok, showed her once or twice by putting my hand and the treat in the can with the scent. She does great, about twice! Then she gets ticked off and belts the can across the floor, lol. We will keep working on it.
Shadow waves to! They can wave at each other.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Another spectacular fail comes to mind.

I have always taught dogs to heel, but not that awesome finish used in competition.

So, I looked it up, and got step by step advice on the process, starting with perch work.

So we worked on that for a bit. But she really didn't seem to be catching on quickly. Half jokingly, after working with a perch for a bit one day, I said look, just back up there, motioning with my hand, and she did! Viola!

God was I glad to retire that perch! Lol!

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I taught Nitro to back off, back up sounds more polite. Oh well, I say it cheerfully.
I have a dog, and others in the past, who actually know what a raised middle finger means. But back off, and also beat it.
Lol. Back up would be very much more polite.
But I was unaware that I was supposed to teach them stuff. I usually just tell them to do stuff and promise food if they do it.

·
Super Moderator
6,284 Posts
Some people naturally have a knack for communicating with animals.I've always thought of it as a gift some people are just born with.Some animals too.We've all read or know of accounts where animals with no training detected dangerous situations and figured out how to communicate it to humans.

·
Super Moderator
5,628 Posts
Well, the formal command is “back it up, missy”. It has several uses. Get away from me (muddy dog). You’re being too pushy (in my face). And also, it works to make them actually back up, like if they follow you behind the narrow space between the couch and the wall, and there’s no turning around. Back it up missy. So a true back up.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I just reread this thread, and I can tell you all from experience, that dogs understand a heck of a lot more than they ever admit to!

Seriously, at 7 months or so, can't remember exactly, I had my pup over visiting with my neighbor. He's a cantankerous old coot, with a great sense of humor.

So at one point, my dog goes and lays on his lawn. And he says, "I didn't say it was okay for your dog to lay on my lawn". Without a word from me, she immediately got up and repositioned herself in the driveway. I think the neighbor is still a little freaked out by that one! LOL!

He said, when it happened, "it's like she really understood what I said!".

I told him yep, and she's always listening, so be careful what you say...you old geiser! LOL! He's 93!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts