German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We decided to try and re-home Macy, the goldren retriever mix (we say half GR and half potato)
I keep posting on :mad:Craigslist and they keep flagging me. Even though there are ads there for free puppies, my re-homing dog but must approve home is unacceptable. Its crap!
I am not experienced at re-homing dogs!!! Where should I post? our pet stores don't allow it. I could do the newspaper but no cute photos and information...
We love her and want the very, very best for this dog; but I can see how a stupid, horrible person might get fed up and dump a dog because there aren't enough online places to post a local ad if you are in a hurry to place a pet.
Also, I tried contacting the GR rescue in our state and they said they only wanted a PB. I looked up some other rescues site and they say either "temporarily closed " or no working number, or they do not send me a reply.

wow...and this is just a few tries.
Macy should be glad I am a good person and plan to keep her until I place her in a safe home especially since it might not ever happen!!!
I might start drugging her, or me to relax! (breathing slowly now):confused:

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Can you post at your vet? Our vet has a bullentin board you can post flyers to. Tractor Supply also has a board you can post ads to at their store if you want to.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
On Craig's List, it really, really depends on the wording of the ad. A lot of the time, when people put "to an approved home" or "fee applies" they are breeders who don't want to put their outrageous rehoming fees on the site (because that will definitely get them flagged).

You have to keep it real simple - like male, x years old, UTD on shots, rehoming fee x amount of dollars. Have people contact you and then screen them to see if they would be a good home.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...I just found this on Craigslist LOL

Without the fee in the ad it could be a sale.
< TheFixxer > 02/04 17:51:35

1)"small adoption fee" does NOT mean "sale price". Pet adoption/rehoming fees must be small, stated in actual $$, and justified by recent vetting expenses (spay/neuter, shots, worming, microchip, etc). You can't charge for market value, the price you paid for the pet, accessories, care/labor, food, or anything except the recent care performed to get the pet ready for adoption. Why? Because craigslist CEO Jim Buckmaster asks you to, here: {forumTitle} forums - craigslist

2)You should list your fee in the ad in actual dollars. Saying "rehoming fee applies" isn't enough. You may be flagged on suspicion of being a pet sale in disguise.

3)If you're rehoming a pet for free, make sure you include the word "Free" in both the title and the body of the ad. It's also a good idea to specify all measures you will take to ensure the pet goes to a good home.

4)If you're rehoming a puppy (and kittens soon), it must be at least 8 weeks old to be adopted.. Saying "will be 8 weeks on..." isn't enough. You may be flagged on suspicion of circumventing California, and other state's laws. California Sale of dogs under eight weeks of age

5)Pet adoption ads belong in the "community" section, under "pets". Advertising a pet adoption anywhere else is miscategorized.

6)Pet services ( pet sitter, groomers, etc.) ads belong in the "services" section under "pets". Advertising pet services anywhere else maybe miscategorized.

7)All pet animal parts, blood, or fluids - including but not limited to stud/breeding services are prohibited on craigslist. craigslist | about > prohibited items

8)Household pets of any kind including but not limited to dogs, cats, primates, cage birds, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, fish, are prohibited to be sold on craigslist. craigslist | about > prohibited items

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
apparently Abby, I was to wordy and not specific.

Good idea, the vet...who might wonder why I paid $800 one month and then rehome her LOL, but I will do that.
I hate this town. I hate that I know to many bad owners. I am worried sick about this, most likely I will wimp out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
www.petfinder.com is a nationwide adoption service for groups, shelters, and individuals. It is fantastic wealth of information whether you looking to adopt a pet or to find a home for your pet. You can place an ad if you intend to keep Macy until you find the right new home for her, or if you decide you need to give her up to a rescue there is a listing of groups for you to contact. How you decide to proceed is up to you. Good luck, sorry that Macy has to find a new forever home...

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I think it's because she is aggressive with her GSD or other household dog maybe? Could be wrong, but I think I read that. Have you tried to manage her aggression with your other dog, is it really aggression, and have you consulted a trainer first? I'm not sure you've exhausted every avenue to solve these issues and once you rehome them you can't take them back:(

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Ignore me I just found your old thread to jog my memory. Macy may have some issues from being overheated...or may just be a single dog home kinda girl. You could try a trainer of course but if you can't keep everyone else safe put an add in your local paper, interview the people, do home checks, and get vet references:)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
What about eBay classifieds?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, one dog home . My trainer actually said she is not working out and would only mess up my 2 GSD. It's breaking my heart.

but I did already get an email, from the rant I posted on CL hahaha. Married couple with 2 kids.

Is it wrong to worry about a home with a 18mon old and a 4 yr old? I worry new parents may not have the time or extra money for a dog. Am I being overly concerned? I already turned down a potential home with an 85 yr old lady, that was too old in my opinion.
I use to work for the humane society, now I see why we turned down more than we approved.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am trying to find places that I can place local ads.

Can I do that on Petfinder? I mean, whats the chance I will find one close to us wanting a dog? I want to be able to stalk their house and check on Macy.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I have two small kids and both of my dogs are well cared for, exercised, vetted when needed, and loved...especially by my kids:) Meet the kids and the parents first. Make sure their not retarded seriously and have some dog experience, the kids know how to treat a dog, and they are aware she is not good with other dogs:)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it's because she is aggressive with her GSD or other household dog maybe? Could be wrong, but I think I read that. Have you tried to manage her aggression with your other dog, is it really aggression, and have you consulted a trainer first? I'm not sure you've exhausted every avenue to solve these issues and once you rehome them you can't take them back:(
I have tried $800 in vet diagnose to eval. problems, walking, walking with other dogs, feeding together, not feeding together, playing together, not together, giving her equal attention, crating her when she bites them. (this has been increasing in severity over the past year). My GSD trainer says she is trying to force one dog behavior, that she is tense.

She sits like a log most days...a growling log that only wants food and to poop. She has a full room radius that if another dog enters she is growling and snarling, no room preference. Then other days she is playful and nice.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think people can take care of dogs and young kids at the same time, my mom did it, lol. As long as you make sure they know though that she's gotta be the only dog - the kids may grow up and whine about wanting another one if she's too old to play with them by the time they're old enough to play with her, you know what I mean? That happened to me - my mom got a shi-tzu when I was 1-2, and when I was old enough to want to play with him, he wanted no part of it and I wanted another one, lol. So make sure at least that the 4 yr. old is a good kid, gentle and knows it's way around animals, and that Macy likes him/her.

And make sure you tell the potential adopters EVERYTHING you just posted above - they'll need to know exactly what they're getting into so that they're not startled by any future behavior they weren't expecting and get rid of her.

You're doing the right thing, I know it's gotta be really hard, and no one will ever seem truly good enough for her - but I'm sure the right people will come along, and she'll be happy at her new home. It's obvious you care for her and you're now trying to do right for her by finding the perfect match - that's more than a lot of those CL posters are doing! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking since they are so young, they might learn better how to treat the dog vs if they were 4 or 5 it might take a kid more time.

At least Macy would vacuum the floor after dinner, LOL she is a fatty.

I was very clear she is an INDOOR dog, I warned the lady I would be seriously investigating them before letting them take her. (credit report?? hmm)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I hope so.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Lol credit report, I hear ya, I'd want to know everything too!

It's true though, when you grow up around them, you know how to handle them, I sure did because we had it all, dogs, cats, birds, reptiles - I learned to be gentle and respectful from the start, it was really beneficial. Plus since she doesn't like dogs, kids would be excellent for her to play with and be buddies with, and after eating what they drop on the floor lol, she'd love 'em forever!

·
Registered
508 Posts
pet finder is good,

I found my border collie I that I had adopted from a Humane Shelter located about 2 hour drive from me, off of petfinder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts