German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually don't say to much on the forum but I need to get this off my chest.
Last Sunday my mom calls me and asked if I would take in a 4 month old neglected GSD, I told her I really couldn't afford the vet bills right now, so she agreed to pay them. We get this little guy, under weight you can see his ribs, we were told he was left outside for 4 days no shelter, no food or water. I don't know any more than that about him, there is a lot of talk but no real answers. I bring him to the vets, he has a ear infection in both ears and the weight issue. Little guy lucked out. I tell my mother we need to do something about the people who had the dog, she said she heard they are going through a separation and a lot of mud is being flung, but no one will tell my mom who the owner is. I said fine for now but if they think they are getting this dog back a full investigation will be done. So he is doing good with my other 2 dogs and the cats could care less.
Well 4 days after I get the puppy one ogf my cats gets an urinary blockage, so that was 6 days at the vets and $$$$. But he is home now and doing OK.
Well the reason I am here is that 2 of my friends called to see how the cat was and I told them, this is were i get pi$$ed. They say you shouldn't have so many animals , maybe you should of put the cat down that was alot of money and you should of never took that puppy in. I am not in over my head and like I stated before my mom is paying the vet bills for the pup. I have the room and facilities for all my animals. My DH and I don't have children so if we need to eat cat food thats OK (LOL). These people know me and know that for me animals are a major part of my life!!
Thank you for this forum so people like me can vent to an understanding group.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Sorry your friends dumped on you... they must not have animals. I can't imagine not having my dog and cats in my life. They give me such joy and love each day.

I don't have the ability to foster or take in other animals and I think because you can and do that you should be congratulated and thanked for having such an open and warm heart.

JMO...

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I have had the same conversation with a friend of mine. (she had to have 2 operations on each one of her cats 2500. a piece)
I don't have kids either and I would take a loan out if I had to in order to help out one of my furry kids. People That don't have animals will NEVER understand.
Screw your friends.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Heck, I hate being in a position NOT to take in a rescue or being able to foster (my house and yard are just way to small)

Some people just don't get it...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your nice comments. The kicker is these people have animals but only 1. I think because they maybe can't handle more than 1 anyone else is crazy.
What ever, time to move forward and take care of my babies.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Don't worry about those kermudgens.
Feel sorry that they won't ever know the joy it bring to raise beautiful animals.

You don't have any kids, you and your husband have the time and energy to devote to your animals. From what I can tell you have two (maybe 3 now) dogs and 3 cats.

Unless you live in a one room shack I think you're okay.

I did have to once advise a friend to put her cat down, she never forgives me for it, but the situation was, the cat was old and had a major thyroid issue. I paid for that cat and her other cat to go to a routin vet visit (she didn't have the money) and for their shots because they hadn't been in 3 years and Taz (the sick one) was getting thin and not eating or drinking.

The Vet said, she could put the cat on meds (80 bucks a month) or an operation. Should live another year or two.

My friend opted to do nothing, sighting she didnt have $$
I thought it was cruel. I told her so. Told her I would pay to have the cat put down. Or pitch in a few bucks towards the meds each month.
She still opted to do nothing, long story short taz lasted only another 6 months. Poor girl.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: littledmc...
Screw your friends.
I second this comment ... ignore them.

Excluding mental issues such as found with an animal hoarder, I think each one of us knows best how many animals we can take care of. It sounds like you and your mother are able to care for your pets and that's all that counts - it's nobody elses business.

Good luck with the new pup!!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I feel the same as Gayle and Dawn- Screw them!

I get the same crap. I have no cats, 2 dogs, 3 rescue/fosters and one more GSD coming. I have kids, I have a job. But, I know my limits. I had an expensive vet bill two weeks ago due to an accident involving one of the fosters. I paid it. They did not!!

So, until my friends (used very loosely) and family start contributing to the care of my animals, i tell them to mind their own **** business.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts