German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the deal. Max has been beating the bells on the door to go out in the middle of the night this past week. Usually he does this during a full moon but not this week. He does not go out to potty just wants to lie on the deck or in the grass and chew a bone! I always let him out because I am never sure if he has to go potty but once I see that he is not I make him come back in. I know he has me trained!
Then he keeps beating the bells and I have to yell at him to knock it off! Any suggestions on why he is so restless? He gets play time every night but he seems to just want to chew his bone in the middle of the night. UGH I need some sleep!!! Oh and he is 10 months in a few weeks.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I bell-trained Sobacca too, and he abuses the power just like yours. Although not in the middle of the night (thank god).
Given your dog is 10 months old -- and I assume won't use the bathroom under any circumstances in the house -- I would just remove the bells at night time, or ignore it since at 10 months old he should be able to 'hold it' at night.
You could also work on training him that the bells me potty, not play time. With Sobacca after he started abusing the power, I would leash him and give him about 30 seconds to either look like he was going to the use bathroom or actually use the bathroom. He learned pretty quickly that bell meant potty, not that the bell means go outside.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Every night at 2:30 am Crazy White starts heavy panting...then moves on to wiggling next to the bed..bumping her bum into the bed and wagging her tail violently (thunking it against the bed). I usually get up and let her out...or I will bring a bowl of water to her. While she will drink a little and even go out I think she really just wants to have some of my attention.. and she wants to play! She rolls about and groans and squeaks. My husband sleeps through it all, but I am up for the night. Sometimes I send her to the crate- maybe that would help you? Night time crating?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Wolfie is crated all night. he's 9 months old and won't potty in the house. He's in there for my peace of mind ( and a good night's sleep) and his safety. He has toys in there to keep him company and sometimes I can hear him chewing on his squeaky toy in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
He does not go out to potty just wants to lie on the deck or in the grass and chew a bone!
Hondo has started the same thing, this week only. I really think it's because we now have cooler nights and he wants to go out and enjoy them. Our GSD and Golden play really rough during the night now and I can hear them hitting the house and the fence etc.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have had the same issue recently

Otto is crated when we are not home. Sleeps in our bathroom floor at night time. But he wakes up an walks around so I let him out he is 7 months old. He would play with toys if I let him. Some times he will wake up every 2 hours. Mostly to go out in the come in. So lately instead of twice a night I let him out a 5 AM. That has been working out better for us. But you need to make sure you do what works for you and your family. Helpful advice I was told once. :D I think you should take down the bells..... or crate, or keep in your room?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do you guys bell train?
Hang the bells on the door and then ring them everytime you go out saying something like lets go out and potty. Once the dog starts to make an effort to ring I throw a party. Only took about a week.

I do think I will remove the bells at night and see how that goes. He has not gone potty in the house for a very long time. I am glad that I am not the only one who's dog feels the need to be a night owl! :wild:

I thought about the crate but I already keep him crated all day for 9 hours so I hate to do it at night too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.