German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so glad that I found this forum here. I am sure my question has been asked before but I need some input from GSD owners.

I've had lived with 3 GSD before (all at the same time frame) and raised them from puppy-hood but this was years ago in 80's into early 90's. I love the breed and I have so much admiration and respect for all that they do. Years went by without having a dog, I've started searching to adopt one. I live with two cats who are both rescue and are dog-friendly. Cats are 9 years old and 2 years old. I recently found a 5 year old German Shepherd available for adoption. He is quiet, calm and gentle. Leash/crate/house trained and does well with other pets and children. He could be left alone in the house all day with no issues, I'm told by his former rescue organization, foster mom and the current owner who had him for about a year. His energy level is low to moderate and doesn't require lots of attention. So last week, I went to meet him in the parking lot of a shopping center. He mind his current owner very well and let me walk on a leash which he did beautifully. No pulling whatsover and his owner told him to sit/stay and let the leash go then she walked away, the dog just stayed in put. I was impressed. We spent good two hours in the parking lot while cars come by, people come by - in and out of stores. He never once barked either. I was thinking...is this too good to be true? Current owner tells me that he doesn't bark back at the dogs barking when walking outside as he keeps some distance and pretty much ignores them. She also told me that when they leave him at the house to go to work in the morning, she tosses a born and rawhide on the floor but he doesn't even mess with them. He doesn't chew anything in the house while he is left alone for hours. When I took his lead to walk him, he did listen to my "sit" command twice but for the third time, he didn't mind it but just stood around me. He almost really seemed like "too good to be true". He is 103 lbs, a big boy who never does anything wrong. Now, if he truly stays that way, he is my dream dog. I live in a town home community and have no big fenced yard. I am committed to walk him 2-3 times a week, rain or shine and take him to the dog park every weekend to play. That is not a problem with me. I am sort of in a daze to think that a dog would be that calm and quiet as this boy is said to be? Can a shepherd show some traits suddenly to be destructive contrary to the personalities known to the former owners? His current owner was the first time GSD owner.

I waffled alot in this thread and apologize for my lengthy post. I just want some opinions for it's been years since I had GSD. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Why is he being rehomed?

Walking 2-3 times a week is not enough excersise. He should get at least one a day. Minimum, plus training.

He sounds wonderful. No dog is perfect. He will test you, he won't listen, he may have an accident in the house. But with time and patience on your part, he could be the best dog you ever owned.

But please don't go into an adoption as thinking the dog will be perfect. He won't be.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
There will be an adjustment period. I can't see him turning into a monster dog, but you never know. Any issues he has gives you the opportunity to work and bond with him. He is trained but why not take a class with him?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Why is he being rehomed?

Walking 2-3 times a week is not enough excersise. He should get at least one a day. Minimum, plus training.

He sounds wonderful. No dog is perfect. He will test you, he won't listen, he may have an accident in the house. But with time and patience on your part, he could be the best dog you ever owned.

But please don't go into an adoption as thinking the dog will be perfect. He won't be.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Oh, I am sorry, I meant to say 2-3 times a DAY not a week...phewww.. the reason why the current owner is re-homing him is that, as she told me, when they got him, she was not working but now she is. Her boys became more active in club activities and such that they get home but have to leave again. And the weekend, they are mostly gone for sports competitions which whole family attend to. Since they do not have any other pets, he is alone a lot. That is why they decided to re-home him to someone who has more set schedule...

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
My two rescue shepherds came in the door and immediately earned the nickname, "the best dogs in the world". There are most definitely dogs out there like that, and it's entirely possible that you've run across another one of those.

It sounds like you have had access to a solid amount of information on his habits and background. I see no red, or even amber, lights here.

Is his current owner returning him to the rescue organization?

Welcome to the board, lots of great info here!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Oh, I am sorry, I meant to say 2-3 times a DAY not a week...phewww.. the reason why the current owner is re-homing him is that, as she told me, when they got him, she was not working but now she is. Her boys became more active in club activities and such that they get home but have to leave again. And the weekend, they are mostly gone for sports competitions which whole family attend to. Since they do not have any other pets, he is alone a lot. That is why they decided to re-home him to someone who has more set schedule...
They seem very interested in finding a good home for him. Will they let you do a trial run to put you at ease? As someone else said I don't see any issues and he sounds like a great dog.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There will be an adjustment period. I can't see him turning into a monster dog, but you never know. Any issues he has gives you the opportunity to work and bond with him. He is trained but why not take a class with him?
Thank you for your reply to my post. I understand that under any circumstances, animals to be brought into a new environment go through adjustment period. As I said, I had German Shepherd dogs before but I never took in full grown over 100 lbs male in my house. The ones I had were the ones I raised from the time where they were tiny pups. My plan is to take an extra day off so I can make the weekend longer to spend more time with him in my home. As you suggested, I am looking into taking obedience class with him. I think that will help us bonding. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Thank you for your reply to my post. I understand that under any circumstances, animals to be brought into a new environment go through adjustment period. As I said, I had German Shepherd dogs before but I never took in full grown over 100 lbs male in my house. The ones I had were the ones I raised from the time where they were tiny pups. My plan is to take an extra day off so I can make the weekend longer to spend more time with him in my home. As you suggested, I am looking into taking obedience class with him. I think that will help us bonding. Thanks!
My male is a big boy and a rescue. He had some issues, but nothing that was a deal breaker. You know the breed, they are awesome. Please post pictures when you get him home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My two rescue shepherds came in the door and immediately earned the nickname, "the best dogs in the world". There are most definitely dogs out there like that, and it's entirely possible that you've run across another one of those.

It sounds like you have had access to a solid amount of information on his habits and background. I see no red, or even amber, lights here.

Is his current owner returning him to the rescue organization?

Welcome to the board, lots of great info here!
Hi Katieliz, thank you for your post. The dog originally came from the retiring farm. He was brought into the very small rescue group which was run by two ladies. Last year, I was in contact with the rescue group about him but apparently his current owner went to see him first and adopted him. In my recent search for a GSD, I came across her add, went to meet up with her and her dog, and after 30 minute of conversation as to the name of the dog and where she got him from, I learned that he was the dog I wanted to adopt a year ago. The things about him which the rescue group said about him on their post on petfinder.com and what his current owner who adopted him a year ago do come in lined. I could not believe to find out that last week as I was meeting with her and her dog was the one I wanted to adopt a year ago. Maybe there is no significant worries that I should be so concerned about him. As you said, maybe he is really a good dog and I should go get him tomorrow and spend a long weekend with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They seem very interested in finding a good home for him. Will they let you do a trial run to put you at ease? As someone else said I don't see any issues and he sounds like a great dog.
Yes, the current owner offered to drive back with me to my home for her dog to meet my cats as well. But because of time constrain, we were not able to do that last Saturday. And she also told me that she would take him back, if he did not work out in my house. I think he will do fine here... I know that his foster mom said he did great in her home, and his current owner said he has done so great in her home. I am getting him tomorrow after work..

:wub:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My male is a big boy and a rescue. He had some issues, but nothing that was a deal breaker. You know the breed, they are awesome. Please post pictures when you get him home.
I most certainly will. Thank you for your support!!!!!! I really do appreciate it!!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
There is a saying in the world of rescue..."they'll land where they're supposed to land". Your story is really quite incredible.

Unless I miss my guess, you've got yourself a "turn key" dog!

I am very excited for you, because if ever there was something meant to be...this sounds like it!

Keep us posted...is he Winston?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
What are the odds of you picking the same dog twice? It was meant to be...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thank you all, I was really taken by surprise and completely gobsmacked when the lady told me the dog's name and where she got him from. I immediately remembered it was the same Winston, the Winston I wanted to meet May of 2013!

And yes, I don't think I could afford missing a chance of having a good dog like him twice. I am getting him this evening and will post pictures. Again, thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
If and after you get him, vet him, and have proof of ownership (license him in your name), let the rescue know he's with you so they can update their info and so that they know that an adopter did this.
Since this is a private adoption, I would also type out a simple "transfer of ownership" document -- essentially saying the current owner transfers ownership of the dog to you. Then both of you sign it and date it.

You may need that document to transfer a microchip registration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If and after you get him, vet him, and have proof of ownership (license him in your name), let the rescue know he's with you so they can update their info and so that they know that an adopter did this.
Hi Jean,

Thank you for your reply. Winston was vetted in April and I have a vet record of what had been done to him. Should I still take him into a vet for a check-up?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since this is a private adoption, I would also type out a simple "transfer of ownership" document -- essentially saying the current owner transfers ownership of the dog to you. Then both of you sign it and date it.

You may need that document to transfer a microchip registration.
Hi Magwart,

His previous owner got my contact information and she changed the microchip registration to my name, my email and phone number. It's all done now :blush:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts