German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued a German Shepard dog while on a cruelty to animals call. Bishop was/is in bad shape but I got him eating and exercising again, but I think he had a bad case of mange. I plan to take him to the vet tomorrow but I need to know what to expect cost and treatment. It is a very extreme case.:help::help::help:

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Depends so much on the vet, the type and extent of mange, and the dog.
I often take the Walmart $4 prescription list to my vet and ask if a suitable medication is found there.

·
Registered
381 Posts
There are two types of mange, sarcoptic and demodex. I don't know much about sarcoptic, but have treated a dog for demodex. The treatment is fairly inexpensive and easy. Ivermectin is given orally for a few months. My vet told me to buy it a Tractor Supply (it is used for swine and cattle). Here are some good resources on mange.

Demodectic Mange
Sarcoptic Mange

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Kroger also has a $4 generic list. Kroger - Pharmacy - Drug Information

I have found with Woolf, since he requires a different dose for his meds then what is on the $4 list, they will work with me on the price. What would normally be $37, cut down to $15. This wasn't offered until I asked about discounting it. So be sure and ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts