German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we have a friend moving out of country and she wants to ship us a dog that we gave to her as a puppy. We are thrilled and excited! However I am so confused at how to find the cost. She said if we did the leg work that she would ship him here to us.

He is a huge 130 lbs coming from North Carolina to Missouri, any help at this would be great. The more I look the more confused I get

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just caught the Semper Fi- you need to look into a military discount, I believe some airlines give you a big discount. Hopefully someone else will be able to help tell you about that.

Call the major airlines. Your biggest problem is, that at 130lbs, I'd imagine you need a GIANT Vari kennel and that size does not fit through most of the cargo doors I think.

But, call. American, Delta, Northwest, US AIR, Continental.

Continental is my favorite now. Tell them from where to where, and what size crate, and they will give you an estimate.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Best way is just to call the airlines and ask them. They can tell you flight availabilty, cost and also the FAA regulations you'll need to follow to ship a dog.

If the dog is 130lbs, it will most likely have to be shipped in a 700 size crate as FAA regs require the dog to have a significant amount of extra space in the crate. That is a huge, and expensive, crate. Also be aware that because of size you also may run into flight restrictions because many airlines will probably have a limited number of flights that can accomodate that sized crate.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I just checked my records.

This past April a friend gave me Faith. She's petite, weighed 55 or so lbs, came in a 500 crate, flew as extra baggage with her breeder's husband (it's my understanding it's cheaper with a paying passenger than being shipped by themselves).

Here's the information I received from my friend about Faith's fight from Baltimore to Ft. Lauderdale - the price doesn't include the breeder's DH's ticket nor the transportation from their house in PA to Baltimore:
Delta Flight #1881 leaves BWI at 9:40am Arrives Atlanta at 11:30am April 18, 2009
Delta Flight #2037 leaves Atlanta 12:35pm ARRIVES FLL at 2:24pm
<span style="color: #FF0000">$275.00 for Faith's ticket</span>

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmmm, I would check both ways, flying the dog in by itself and buying your own ticket and checking as baggage.

If you do some web browing, most of the airlines have specific dog/pet transportation web sites.

Non stops are best. Delta takes very good care of them.

I would drive out and get the dog if you have that opportunity instead of flying it in

Vickie
I am a travel agent and also a dog breeder :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts