German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
19,190 Posts
i honestly have nothing for you that wont offend someone. My animals are my fur kids. I couldnt imagine my life without them. My kids get very upset when the animals arent with us for a little while so i know their take on it as well. My husband would be perfectly fine if we never had another animal in the house despite the fact he does like them. They're mine. Plain and simple. We have pets because i wanted them. He wants to get rid of them or dwindle it down so we only have one. In all honesty, if i wasnt able to bond with an animal i would rehome that animal. If there isnt a bond, there isnt really much of anything except that distrust. You may very well just be the messanger to get him to the right owner that he can bond with. He will take a great deal of work. The husky side of him is the side i'd be more concerned with because of that independence. That whole whats in it for me instead of what can i do for you attitude is why husky's in general are the ones who are perfectly happy to run off and survive on their own. I might suggest that if he and your GSD cant get along and share, it might be best to rehome him as an only dog in a family without kids because those kinds of negatives can impact your GSD and how he behaves around other dogs as well. Riley growls at Shasta when she walks past him when he has something. He gets in trouble and the object is removed. Its not acceptable. Zena was/is female aggressive. She's a very dominant girl. She was forced to learn that her aggressive behavior was in no way right or allowed. As long as someone doesnt start anything with her now, she's good. Do what you feel is right. Some of the issues i'd be willing to work with him on but that aggression whether it be fear or just generall aggression, i couldnt have in my home because of my kids. He wouldnt be able to go on walks or anything because this neighborhood is loaded with kids. Its up to you if you have the desire, time and energy to try and work with him but you'll always have that fear in the back of your mind that he'll do something to become a seriously liability. Its something you need to sit down and seriously think about. he can be worked with but can he be worked with by you? Not saying you're a bad trainer but you may not possess the knowledge to handle it.

· Registered
19,190 Posts
i am sorry you feel this way...This is one reason why my hubby will not let me adopt an older dog...you just don't know what all he has been thru...been there done that to many times...Quite frankly if you don't trust him, i don't see you bonding with him at all...I think you should consider rehoming him to an only dog/ no children home...or someone with tons of experience...
agreed

· Registered
19,190 Posts
I am on the fence with the idea of rehoming him.

We have improved on alot of his behavioral problems but we haven't improved on the serious ones. Even if we got professional help I dont know if I would still be able to trust him. I know that I would not rehome him to a family with children. He gets along with my cats, he pretty much ignores him but the kitten plays with him and he is gentle with her. He loves my GSD and my GSD loves him, they play together constantly and my GSD sits by Rogue's crate and cries for me to let him out when he is in it. But he gets bossy with my GSD, my GSD doesn't mind and he doesn't try to challenge him, but I do not think he enjoys getting bit in the face when he is playing with a toy or drinking water.

i understand. I was on the fence about rehoming Shelby because she just hasnt bonded with us easily. She's a great dog. Gets along with everyone. She was previously abused and unsocialized and she's beautiful. But she met my nephew and it was in instant connection so Shelby will be going to my sister and her son and husband early-middle of next year once they get settled in their new house. Its good that your GSD is so relaxed about it but i agree he probably isnt happy about getting bitten for playing or trying to drink. I know you'll do whats best for him. Props for trying. With everything going on with me i couldnt do it right now. you'll get it figured out.

· Registered
19,190 Posts
He is very Husky like. He absolutely cannot be trusted off leash, I have no doubt that he would take off. He is very stubborn and very independent. He's a digger too :wild:.

lol i have to admit i also dont like husky's very much so i wouldnt have a PB or a mix. They're great for other people just not my cup of tea. I dont really appreciate dogs with no real loyalty to anyone buy themselves. One of my friends back home had a totally awesome husky named Fortune a few years ago. He was the only husky i liked. unless he was outside. . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.