German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read so many times that people need suggestions for names and normally I find it quite easy to name my pets already having 4 big dogs, but I am about to get a puppy (end October) and can't think of a really good unusual name for her......so please some suggestions

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I did a google for puppy names and found tons of sights when I got my pup. I did not know there were so many names.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When we Googled "GSD Names" we found sites with generic names and many of them were just plain ridiculous or even insulting. We had adopted a Black GSD 12 years ago, who had been abused, so we wanted her to have a new name with her new home. Her previous name, which we didn't care for, as Maizy. We named her Nikita, which got shortened to Nikki.

Our new GSD puppy, born on Hannah Estate in the BVI, was in need of a name. The breeder's children called her "Baby", since she was the runt. We considered many names over the next week; Hannah, Gretel, Freya, and others. We settled with Piper, since I am a pilot and my wife was calling her "Puppy" all weeek, to which she had been responding.

Good luck, this is a very personal choice. Take your time and be happy with the name.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I named our female Uschi, which sounds like sushi without the s- it's the German nickname for Ursula. I know a woman named Uschi and always thought it was a cool name- it's fun to say and the dog really responded to it. Everybody remembers it after they say, what?? Our last female gsd was named Omy, sounds like 'Oh me'. It's Grandma in German. I have a German neighbor and that's what hergrandchildren call her.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
use your imagination and ask friends.

I have read so many times that people need suggestions for names and normally I find it quite easy to name my pets already having 4 big dogs, but I am about to get a puppy (end October) and can't think of a really good unusual name for her......so please some suggestions

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
What are your other dogs' names?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Since you are getting her in October, perhaps "Autumn". If that's too trendy, then my suggestion is: Csilla: Hungarian name for star, but also a Hebrew name. Pronounced Sill-uh in English.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Alice
Asia
Jasmine
Calypso
Calisto
Diamond
Haylen
Prixus
Portia
Serephina
Sia
Leah
Layla
Lola
Berlin
Paris
Anastasia
Ariel
Belle
Bella
Isis
Autumn
April

Jade
Fallyn
Helena
Maci
Riley
Raina
Raven
Selene
Willa
Willow
Winnie

·
Registered
164 Posts
Pick something that reflects the situation. Like where is she from, maybe the flower or fruit or something from the state. I also like the idea of the season, maybe something related to the season you get her in.

Or name her something close to you. I am Jewish, I am pretty much the ONLY Jewish person in my area LOL no joke. Because of this I wanted a Jewish name. Navah (Naw-Vah) means beautiful. I also thought she was so beautiful she needed a name to fit that. I hated the name but the first time I said it she looked at me and tilted her head. She loved it so it stuck.

Also what about a favorite hobby or other thing you like. Navah was also going to be named Masi (like another cutie on this site!) because it’s one of my favorite wines

Or maybe a TV show you like. My Sister LOVES True Blood and named her English Bulldog Sookie lol. Our old dog Gypsy was named after my Moms favorite band “The Gypsy Kings”.

Good luck!

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you want an unusual name you could pick one that is just unusual for a GSD. Like Fluffy. Perhaps you should use Chihuahua, it would be interesting to see peoples reaction when you ask "have you seen my Chihuahua?"

By the way, I do not recomend that you ever follow any advice that I may give.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We considered many names over the next week; Hannah, Gretel, Freya, and others. We settled with Piper, since I am a pilot and my wife was calling her "Puppy" all weeek, to which she had been responding.
it's funny we named our GSD Freya which means Lady & our other GSD Jäger which means Hunter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts