German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Deja just came out of heat while Griff hit adolescence since last week. "Awesome" timing! It is the first time I feel overwhelmed with the work and the intensity of these two. Griff (6.5 months old) threw in the towel today but I got him where I wanted him. I saw this in him when he was a young pup; trying until finally giving up, and for good, in minor battles. But he is at another level right now so I have to pull out all my tricks, tools and being soooooo consistent that it is not funny anymore, at least today. He refused to sit when I stopped during a walk. Previously, as a sweet youngster, he would immediately sit while looking adoringly into my eyes but today? No way; looking me straight in the eye but now with the determination 'not to do this'! It took me the entire one mile walk to win this battle but...at the end, he would heal off leash and sit down when I stopped, reluctantly but he did it. And no, this goes beyond the clicker and treats; hooray for the prong and verbal rewards with a chest-scratch, which he appreciated by the way he looked at me. He doesn't get any free time with Deja for a while until he has shaped up. I miss the easy times with her today. I know tomorrow he will be better and maybe even this evening.
Oh, and I have an appointment for an October spay for Deja. It took a long time and a long thought process but I don't want this chaos with him as an adult :eek:
Thanks for reading this vent.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm glad you decided what to do with Deja. I know it was a hard decision to make, but I think you are doing the right thing. I am hopefully going to be getting a puppy in the next year (maybe sooner... ;)), and I do not look forward to adolescence. I am already reading all the threads I can to prepare myself for it.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Looks like you've already gotten great advice LOL, so I'll just add a knowing nod! Nyx was first willfully disobedient at about 5 1/2 months when she looked right at me and decided to keep going the other way! They all have their moments!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Inga is coming into heat soon also. The whining when driving through parking lots has started again, not liking going into the PetStupid store has started again. Frequent prolonged licking of me, numerous small urinations, and now, the coyotes come up really close to the house at night and howl. - And she barks back. The Enough command did not work. I had to put the 'remote control' on her last night.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The real question is then...can you train him so well, that the distraction of a female in heat comes second to you?
I probably could but don't want 10 weeks of chaos with corrections in the house. They live inside with us. I have done a lot of thinking about this; it is not natural not to have a litter once a year so then I asked myself how natural it was to allow the heats to go without mating.
I hate the wait for the surgery but I know I will be happy once it's done and the entire year can be peaceful, given that Griff is past his adolescence at some point :grin2:

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I believe that’s the same thought process is why there are so many unwanted dogs today. Its natural - to have a litter of pups and yearly??It is wild what people tell themselves to believe. It’s good you have a plan regardless.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
That sounds like a really sensible decision, doesn't make it any easier, of course. Unless I was planning to breed, I'm pretty sure I'd do the same thing if I had a mixed-sex pair (once the female was old enough). I hope things calm down soon.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today's conversation at breakfast:
Hubby: Ready for the rodeo today? Ha, ha, ha!
Me: Yes, no choice.
Hubby: remember that you always loved working with the adolescent males?
Me: Yeah, but these were from other people.
Hubby, on his way out the door to work: Are you sure you want to wear these flip flops?
Me: I'll dress in armor in a few minutes.
Hubby, while adjusting his sunglasses: Good luck today, my dear!
Note: he is the most supportive husband one could wish, putting up with all of this and still enjoying the dogs and me, even.
OK, Griff, here we go!
Thanks for all your feedback!

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: he is an angel today! Perfect at the vet for his Rabies vaccination even. Yesterday's rodeo-ing has payed off. But no sitting back yet for at least another year but I love today!
So if you despair with your dog teenager, work him through it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts