German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I love my puppies very much. I spend all day, everyday with them.
They go to work with me and sit in my office. We have lots of traffic in my home
as well.
I have an 11 month old girl and 5 month old boy.
I'm the primary one who cares for them. I do get help from my husband and adult kids.
They have done puppy K, and one has done obedience one.
Lately they are barking non stop at everyone. Once one starts the other just barks.
I don't want them to be barking at people taking a walk, or someone coming into my job.
I understand they are trying to protect me, but how do I teach them to stop when I tell
them "enough". They are young and hopefully I can teach them
Any suggestions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I had to get very loud with Lisl before she would stop this behavior. I didn't want it to progress to the next level.

It already had with my next door neighbor a couple of times. She was physically confronting him and advancing on him.

I don't really understand if it was a protective instinct or fear, but I don't believe she would have advanced on him had she been frightened. I don't really think this dog is afraid of anything.

Anyway, as i said I had to get very loud with Lisl and I scruffed her a couple of times to a down position to make sure I had her attention. After I had her attention and she stopped, I lowered my voice. I had to do this several times; upon each greeting in the back yard or at the front door when delivery people or the mailman shows up.

This was advice given to me by my neighbor, a K9 handler with the local department. Lisl throws a fit when he brings Ibor over for a greeting, but she's getting used to him. Both are from the same kennel.

She's getting much better and is understanding that I don't need protecting 24/7 and the big bad boogie man isn't going to get her either.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I would work with least reactive one first, then the other one, then together. How old are they? Its important to work with them individually so they aren't more involved with each other then with you or the family.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you.because they are such sweet babies with me is why it surprises me how they get when someone new approaches. But I realize that this needs to be fixed right away before they get any bigger.
In the classes we've gone to --it's all about positive reinforcement never on the negative
and that's what I need to take care of.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl is a big sweetheart and gentle...to me. She likes my mom too, and she tolerates other visitors, but not without a few barks at them.

She's a lot more tolerant than she was. She's learning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts