141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,557 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
While it's not super specific to this application, I really recommend Excel-Erated Learning.

Thank you. I've just downloaded it and will get stuck into it right away.

I've been been looking at other books and consideration what to learn from. When I've read the book you've suggested. Recommendations what to move onto?

The first was recommended to me but I can't find a digital copy on Amazon UK (my preference).

Second is by the same author. Apparently it's an older version or that book or very similar principles. Although I could be wrong. This one I can get for Kindle so it would be more convenient in that respect.

Or is there something else I should be looking at?

Sorry to be a hastle.

·
Registered
439 Posts
@Loki.777 You are not in any way being a hassle.

Anyone looking to figure out how to handle their dog better is definitely not a hassle.

One thing I would recommend keeping in mind is @David Winners is a very experienced dog handler. Things he can do in two or three 30 minute sessions might take new handlers several weeks as we learn to read the dog, think about how to react to what the dog is doing, and then finally react appropriately at the right time.

As you work through the issue with pup. Please be sure to spend plenty of time playing with your pup. The time invested will pay you back 10 fold by improving your ability to read and react to your dog and his engagement with you.

Just like in humans. Teaching someone something new is relatively easy. Helping them to break bad habits is exhausting for everyone involved.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
So a bit of an update. I've finished that book execel - erated learning. It's nice to have a deeper understanding of learning.

Moved on to , purely positive, companion to competition. It's not bad so far, I've mainly got it for a different perspective. The main think I want to take out of it is increasing relationship and bond .

As for th bratty behaviour that's undercontol and heading in the right direction.

At the start I took him for a walk, and controlled him with leash pressure. The lesson was more for my own confidence rather than a lesson for him.

Wasn't pretty and he had his crazy moments but I one every time. Now I was able to relax and be more calm while dealing with the behaviour.

Been a few weeks and it's not happened again. I must admit I've been using a ball as a pacifier (him holding it in his mouth). He's at the point he doesn't really need the ball, but I'm keeping it there for the moment.

As time is going on he's paying more and more attention to me and not really caring that my other dog is there.

Obviously we are not out of the woods yet but we are definitely heading in the right direction.

The other night he lost his ball and I didn't even realise. We walked a bit and I noticed he was becoming anxious. Then realized he had lost his ball.

I know it sounds like a silly think but this was a huge milestone. If he had lost his ball/didn't have a ball in his mouth , he would have went mental and attacked my other dog a few weeks ago . I was really pleased about that.

Definitely doing something right.

Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
914 Posts
So a bit of an update. I've finished that book execel - erated learning. It's nice to have a deeper understanding of learning.

Moved on to , purely positive, companion to competition. It's not bad so far, I've mainly got it for a different perspective. The main think I want to take out of it is increasing relationship and bond .

As for th bratty behaviour that's undercontol and heading in the right direction.

At the start I took him for a walk, and controlled him with leash pressure. The lesson was more for my own confidence rather than a lesson for him.

Wasn't pretty and he had his crazy moments but I one every time. Now I was able to relax and be more calm while dealing with the behaviour.

Been a few weeks and it's not happened again. I must admit I've been using a ball as a pacifier (him holding it in his mouth). He's at the point he doesn't really need the ball, but I'm keeping it there for the moment.

As time is going on he's paying more and more attention to me and not really caring that my other dog is there.

Obviously we are not out of the woods yet but we are definitely heading in the right direction.

The other night he lost his ball and I didn't even realise. We walked a bit and I noticed he was becoming anxious. Then realized he had lost his ball.

I know it sounds like a silly think but this was a huge milestone. If he had lost his ball/didn't have a ball in his mouth , he would have went mental and attacked my other dog a few weeks ago . I was really pleased about that.

Definitely doing something right.

Thank you everyone.
Nice, keep it up!

141 - 147 of 147 Posts