German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 month old GSD has a thing for bitting the carpet when I leave for work is there anyone who could help me train him to stop doing this.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I would be crating a 6 month old when I left the house if it did not have stellar behavior. But, if not, perhaps introduce an alternate behavior. Maybe a special chew toy instead of the carpet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yh I might look into getting a crate if he doesn't improve I just feel that putting him in a crate is a bit harsh because he doesn't have room to move around

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well if it is just a matter of containment... You could get a crate that is much bigger than he is. He have some room to move but he is kept out of trouble.

·
Registered
37 Posts
He's just bored and looking for something to do. The crate idea is spot on. Throw some toys in there and he'll be great!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Be careful with toys in the crate. A bored dog will chew up toys, and some will ingest them. Surgery for blockages is not cheap. A hoof, while they can be stinky, generally will keep them busy and they are unlikely to cause problems in the intestine.

People like antlers because they last longer, but a lot of vets say the break teeth, so I avoid antlers.

·
Banned
56 Posts
If you're gonna do the crate idea, I recommend getting a kong, stuffing the kong like crazy and freezing it, freezing it keeps him more busy for a long while!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
a six month old pup should be able to manage 6-7 hours, and most can manage 8-10 hours -- typical work day, if water intake is restricted during the day, as most people do during the night instead. The dog can't be crated all day and all night. Water restriction can't be all day and all night. Most people prefer to either come home at lunch and let the dog potty, or have someone come in and take the dog for a walk, so the dog isn't in there for an 8-10 hour stretch.

Three hours is fine, she should be able to manage that ok.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yh i will be coming home on my luch breaks to let him out ok great thanks I just need to get a crate and train him to use it now anyone got any good tips to help train him to use the creat.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
just open the door and put him in. you're over thinking things. he might not be happy at first but it's not his choice, it's yours. you failed by not crate training from the getgo. a crate is a basic purchase when first getting a dog. wish you luck.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
If he has a something safe that he only gets while in the crate, that he loves -- kong filled with peanut butter or a safe raw bone, then he might take to it quicker.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Be careful with toys in the crate. A bored dog will chew up toys, and some will ingest them. Surgery for blockages is not cheap. A hoof, while they can be stinky, generally will keep them busy and they are unlikely to cause problems in the intestine.

People like antlers because they last longer, but a lot of vets say the break teeth, so I avoid antlers.
I second Selzer's comment about antlers. My guy broke the tips off 3 carnassial teeth on an antler. We had a visit with the vet. dentist and she remarked that antlers are responsible for a lot of her business.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
A very strong chewer can also wear their teeth down with kongs, so you kind of have to pay attention to that, and stop it if you think that is a problem. I would use a filled kong, or something until the dog readily goes into his crate as part of his morning/afternoon routine, and then I would probably stop using anything in there. Then in the evenings when you can supervise, you can give your dog what you want, when you want him to relax in the room with you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts