German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own 3 GSD's two of which I have had since puppies, the third is the one im having a hard time with... Max is a 2yo male he is the brother of my other two GSD's. He was abandoned when a
PHP:
cousin of my husband's moved to Florida. He called us on his way there and told us that we could have him if we wanted him if not someone would "take care" of him! I was furious, anyways we went over to the house and the dog was terrified. He has never been socialized, never wore a collar or leash, wasn't fed on a regular basis. Among other things, we had to call the dog warden to tranquilize him just to get him home! I have had him for about 2 months now and he has made a complete turn around, he gets along wonderfully with my girls he lets people pet him, and has even started rolling onto his back for me. So the problem I have is a good one and a bad, where no one ever paid him any attention he gets so incredibly excited it makes it very difficult to train him! He weighed 103 lbs at his last vet check up and is solid muscle, I'm thrilled that he is so happy now but I want to move forward with training and his size nd strength makes it very difficult! My females have been with me since 8 weeks old and im find mg out that there is definitely a huge difference in training a dog and a puppy! Any tips would be gladly accepted, thank you in advance!

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Good on you for taking him in. I've seen it enough on here, but I still don't understand the mindset of those who mistreat and abandon animals.

I would try burning off some energy before training, maybe a 20 minute game of fetch, flirt pole or bike ride beforehand & probably keep sessions short to start.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ask everyone you know to come over (not all at once, one at a time a day) ask them to not pay him any attention until he has calmed down. If he starts jumping they cannot speak to him they have to turn away from him and ignore him completely no eye contact. You put him into a position where you want him to be, sit - lay - or maybe come and sit by you even. He will quickly learn that if he wants attention from all these great new people he has to do something in order to get it. Reward him both in praise and treats for the appropriate behavior. Work on this before you really work on any OB.

What training method are you using? What tools? What collar?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Wow you definitely have your hands full. I think it's Great you took him in, poor little guy.
I have two and can't imagine adding a third- but under your circumstances I would have done the same...Good Luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
874 Posts
first of all you should be applauded for stepping in...I'm no expert on anything and am just learning myself...but just want you to know there are people like me who adore people like you who help those who can not help themselves.!!! KUDDOS and best wishes!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
6 years ago I adopted a 5 year old 90 lb. untrained male dog - i weigh about 100 lbs. He pulled me everywhere at first. It was really scary. In addition he seemed scared enough to potentially bite someone sometime. I took him to a trainer for a combo group/private lesson set. It worked wonders. He actually learned everything really quickly because he was older and eager to please. He lost all of his fear and has become a very laid back sweet guy. Your guy sounds like he is eager to please as well so I bet a good set of training sessions would work wonders.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That's incredible progress in 2 months! Great great work!!!

I like the advice about outside help with training. I recently signed on with a professional for my 2-yr old rescue male, and it's amazing the insights the trainer has given me and the progress we've made this past week alone. None of the dogs I've had or all the training books I've read or all the advice here in the forum even compare.

Also, getting that energy out is key :)

As for the company, if he were mine he'd wear a leash around the house or at least when I'm expecting company. Too much excitability and I'd very quietly say kennel up and calmly lead him into the crate to settle. When he's calm, he can come back out, still on the leash. Rinse, lather, repeat. It didn't take Jack too long with that routine to figure out that silly rudeness wouldn't be tolerated. But I'm inexperienced in dog training, so this is not expert advice :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts