German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
We got our first GSD puppy, female. 8 weeks old. We have 2 older dogs, a blue heeler and a mutt, they both have been very good around her so far, growling at her when she gets too rambunctious, but not biting. I am home all day with them all, and today I went to bible study and left Gracie ( the puppy) with my husband and he let our blue heeler male out with her for them to run around, well I guess what happened is that the heeler got tired of her jumping on him, biting him and he finally got fed up. My husband wasn't watching them close enough and the heeler got her pretty good on the face, a small puncture mark. What I am wondering is that could this hinder her development socially? I got home and took them out together, leashed and the puppy was a little bit apprehensive but was still pretty playful toward the heeler. She just seems a little depressed....any ideas? or am I just waaaaay overworrying?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think that she'll be fine, but that they should all be supervised during play. I know sometimes I have to call Ozzy off of the other dogs because he gets too rambunctious and I'd rather be the one making the calls than the other dogs - because sometimes Aiden gets very rough with him. Aiden is 24 lbs. and Ozzy's barely 6 lbs.

Plus, I don't think it's fair for the other dogs when he's terrorizing them, so he can come over and terrorize me. LOL

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I would keep an eye on the heeler b/c it sounds like he doesn't have very good bite inhibition. How much socialization/exposure to puppies has he had?

My adults have always given puppies corrections but they have never inflicted a bite wound.

I would keep the puppy away from the heeler until you can work more with the heeler. Look for some well behaved and dog friendly playmates for your puppy. That way she'll have positive socialization and fun and the heeler will be left alone.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Your Blue heeler probably gave your pup a muzzle correction - a quick bite on the muzzle, enough to leave a mark, but not enough to create any concern. A completely appropriate way for older dogs to discipline puppies that do not get all the other hints to lay off.

I bet puppy learned her lesson and will be more respectful and restrained around the Blue Heeler - and if she forgets, maybe another correction will help. :)

If overall the Blue Heeler is good and appropriate with the pup, I wouldn't worry about.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking it was a correction because she gets very pushy, and biting him. LOL I love my husband but he's definately not allowed to let the heeler out with our girl again, he just didn't realize that you have to watch them every second for the body language. I was just so concerned she would be all sad forever :( I think partially she is not feeling good because of the extreme heat wave we are getting, poor girl have really loose stools some of the day yesterday and all last night....off to the vet we go, then to find her some other young dogs to play with.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
She'll probably be just fine. But it's a good reminder that it's not your other dog's 'job' to play and exercise the puppy. It's the human's job. We can use our other dogs but ONLY supervised cause it can easily and fast get out of hand. Puppies are a pain in the behind, those puppy teeth can hurt, and it's not fair to the older dogs if they can't escape.

You DO have to be aware that this can be a set back for socialization with other dogs. But you just need to make sure you go OUT OF THE HOUSE to meet tons of new healthy friendly dogs every week. Puppy classes are ideal. Friends/family with good dogs work well.

Being proactive with many new dogs, and preventing another 'attack' from your dogs will help your pup continue to grow up to be the great dog is should be.

There are many 'dog' events in the fall in my area. Google your area for dog stuff and/or keep an eye on the newspaper. Once again, your puppy instructor for classes may know of some upcoming events.

Things like this:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh trust me I know, she gets exercised and played with by me pretty much every time she is up and ready to play, I don't depend on the older dogs to get her energy out. My husband is now in a permanent timeout from being with the puppy by himself. As soon as she has her second round of vaccines in I am going to start taking her to puppy socialization gigs around here, and our kindergarten puppy class.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I'm guessing that the Blue Heeler is pretty old, maybe? Usually, young pups like that have "puppy license" and dogs will tolerate, though not like, their antics for a few weeks. Then the schooling begins.

If the Blue Heeler is a young dog, definitely watch him.

And, of course, keep the puppy from pestering your other dogs by limiting play.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood: did she have an actual wound from the bite or just a mark?

My dog Chama didn't like puppies and she was quite clear about that with the foster puppies. With her it was usually a lot of loud noise but they learned pretty quickly to stay away from her. My german shepherd Basu loved puppies and would play and play with them but when I had really rambunctious puppies I would also find them younger dogs to play with too.

I hope your pup is ok--diarrhea in a youngster is always worrisome.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The heeler is 5, he's always been good around younger dogs and females, he just took it too far and my husband wasn't watching their body languages close enough.
She has a puncture wound on her cheek, took her to the vet this morning right away and they gave her antibiotics, some for home as well, they clipped and cleaned it etc.. her lymph node was swollen. The diarrhea was being caused by some roundworms, got her wormed again and took home some for the next 3 days with some probiotics. She's going to be OK health wise, and once she is done with her second round of vaccines, off we will go to puppy classes and socialization play dates :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts