German Shepherds Forum banner

I need help with my 8 weeks old GSD i dont know why he bites and growls at m

3K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Sri 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Your new pup has a good drive and wants to play. I suggest you get a flit pole and play with him - something for him to chase and play with. Also lots of toys - when he bites - say NO then give him the toys and say real nice "this is yours" and praise him when he bites on that.

#3 ·
I used a sock stuffed inside another sock that I could stick my hand into to encourage play without her teeth able to reach my hand. Of course, now she steals socks so that might not be the best route to take :blush: She's learning to return the socks in exchange for a treat or praise, though.

#4 ·
He is a puppy and that is what puppies do you need to redirect his biting by giving him a toy and playing with him try fetch my pup was a horrible little landshark when we first got him he sounded viscous but trust me they are not they are just trying to play with you take it as a compliment my pup is now 14 weeks old and just starting to settle the biting down.

#5 ·
don't use your clothing or anything else the dog shouldn't
be playing with or chewing on. buy toys, balls, ropes, tug toys, etc.
puppy class really helps wtih a puppy. train and socialize and
don't expect much from a 8 week old pup.

#9 ·
He is trying to engage you in play. That is normal GSD puppy play. As others have said, have appropriate tug toys on hand, redirect to the toys, and play tug with him! Just stuffing it in his mouth is boring! Get all animated and get a good workout going. This is an excellent way to burn off some of that puppy energy.

#11 ·
I wouldn't use the word ok... puppy biting is normal. You have to train the pup to bite & chew on toys instead of your hands & clothing. I use a tug toy to redirect my puppy when he's in a bouncy-bitey mood. We play a good fun game of tug & a bit of fetch, and then I will pet him & talk to him when he is calm and not trying to chew on me. Remember, your pup's not being mean or aggressive, he's just trying to play with you.

#14 ·
Please calm down and realize that many of us go thru this when we CHOOSE to get a GSD puppy. It's one of the many reasons to research and learn about the different breeds BEFORE getting any puppy.

This is NORMAL for a GSD, but not a behavior any of us enjoy. Please take the time to really look thru Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums for tons of information of what to expect from your puppy. In particular click this ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...wner/188549-puppy-biting-hints-tips-help.html

:wub:

#15 ·
He's still little. It takes a long time for them to grow out of it, but you can help with redirection and appropriate chew toys. Also, as he teethes it may get a little worse. In addition to all the normal chew things, someone here suggested frozen carrots which worked well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#16 ·
Now that my sharkperd stopped trying to kill me, I read all these posts and laugh because I was here not too long ago. Our pup seamed the worst, air biting, all you hear is his jaw, so much blood was shed and he bit through my thumb. It really felt like it would never end. When the puppy teeth started getting loose, it hurt for him to bite as hard as he did and he stopped. Now anytime he tries to even hold my hand in his mouth I redirect and it works, before nothing worked and we did try everything in the book! hang on in there is what everyone told me!

#19 ·

I've noticed that our puppy is once in a while relentless with the biting when its hungry or thirsty or tired, even though I think it just ate/drank. I would offer water and food. Or time out in the playpen.

It is barking and biting us again today, and I've given him ice cubes and put him on a leash in the house as well. We are also taking him places with us(one of us stands outside the grocery store and he loves the attention from people), because it distracts him and hes tired by the time we get back. Also I keep him on leash in the front yard and he likes observing traffic. Any new expereince is stimulating and distracting for them so that helps.

I won't say we are doing very well, I guess its just a phase you have to somehow get through.

When he is in a peaceful mood, try teaching him the 'off' command. Doesn't always work when he is biting, but I guess eventually it will.

#23 ·
I've noticed that our puppy is once in a while relentless with the biting when its hungry or thirsty or tired, even though I think it just ate/drank. I would offer water and food. Or time out in the playpen.

It is barking and biting us again today, and I've given him ice cubes and put him on a leash in the house as well. We are also taking him places with us(one of us stands outside the grocery store and he loves the attention from people), because it distracts him and hes tired by the time we get back. Also I keep him on leash in the front yard and he likes observing traffic. Any new expereince is stimulating and distracting for them so that helps.

I won't say we are doing very well, I guess its just a phase you have to somehow get through.

When he is in a peaceful mood, try teaching him the 'off' command. Doesn't always work when he is biting, but I guess eventually it will.
Shadow used to bite and latch onto pants and would sometimes get some flesh along with it. I had a "-- for dummies!" book that recommended pushing the puppy away with your foot without looking at them (not kicking them, of course) because using your hands is interactive and giving attention which could encourage the biting. I don't know if that's the correct way to handle the situation but she's a bit over 6 months now and doesn't bite much at all anymore. She'll still bite at my pants when we're playing chase games, but that's it.

I did not do any tugging games with toys until she learned 'drop it' so I always had control of her.

#21 ·
Sorry, but you are going to be sore

Your very cute puppy is a landshark. He wants to exercise his teeth and jaws on you. You have to be careful or finding a way to bit you instead of the toy becomes the game. When I was at my absolute last straw with Fiona, I would get up and lock myself in the bathroom for a minute or two after she wanted to dine on my hands or feet. We also worked on the gentle command. She still sometimes snaps a treat out of my hand.

Please do not do what I did. The first time Fiona bit into my feet and locked on, I smacked her on the top of her head. It was an impulse reaction and very wrong. Be careful because you might be inclined to do so too.

#25 ·
I get the sense that you are in way over your head by your disregard of the advice given. I'd suggest giving the puppy up to an owner who understands the breed and find yourself a tamer breed.

#27 ·
I was not going to read through 26 pages. But first of all, it's a pup. He will not know he is doing something inapropriate unless he's corrected. He's trainable right now.

I would get to a trainer and take some training classes with him ASAP. I'm still working on my 5 month old with his nipping, but we've only had one class so far. I am confident a majority of my pups nipping is due to teething as he's not this way alot. These are high drive dogs and not only need excercise physically, but just as much mentally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.