German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD is 4 months old, when we are going to leave for the evening we always put her and our other dog in crates. We take them out and let them do their business before and I make sure Jemma has gone #2 before we leave. Well while we're gone she sometimes (a lot lately) poops in her kennel. :( I can see that she has it on her and I can smell it but I don't see it inside. I'm guessing she eats it. So we got home last night and I bathed her and took her out and put her back in for the night when we were going to bed. I then hear a noise and she pukes all over her kennel. I run in and she was trying to eat it. I told her no, grabbed her and isolated her. Her puke looked like diarrhea. Sorry this is so gross. I don't know what to do I cleaned up and then just cried all night because I'm at a loss. :( I'm worried about her because I don't want her to eat her own poop and I don't want her to be running around the house while we're gone. Someone please help us!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Lot's of pups will eat their own poop, and sometimes that of others too. It is something that they most of the time grow out of, I know that if you pick it up when outside they don't have the chance to devour it, but being in a crate and no one home that is a different story. Hopefully someone will come on and have some sort of solution for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We always pick the poop up when outside because we live in a gated community where we have to! I think she gets bored in her kennel so she poops and eats it. lol gross way to pass the time!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Give her a stuffed kong. Use a little peanut butter, kibble, treats, etc and freeze it then give it to her just before you leave. That should hopefully keep her busy and is a much healthier choice for her to turn to :)

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Puppies eat their own poop, poop of other dogs or other animals for economy reasons, the poop is still rich in protein. They do it because they are growing and their body constantly experiences deficiency in different biochemical elements. Nothing to worry about, she will stop it only you will start with a raw diet which is rich in nutrition. I would think, if she is about 12-15 kilos at her four - she would need about 300-400 raw beef mince daily. Of course, beef is not the only nutritious thing, and not necessarily she will digest it well, but it's all the matter of finding out here on this forum.
I think, you are leaving your puppy for too long. It shouldn't be difficult for to calculate approximately when she is going to poop, probably, at the present, evening hours are the most suitable for her system to discard the unnecessary. Ideally, you should take her out every time you think she is about to do her business, only this way she would become accurate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts