German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to rehome my dog Lobo. I am moving and there is just no way that I can take my dog with me. He is a High Content German Shepherd Mix who's 4 Years Old.

My dog is friendly with people but has had some aggression issues with dogs, particularly large male inact dogs. A lot of it has been poor handling by me but I really need to find him a home.

I need to find a rescue preferrably in Southeast Texas.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
You've been around long enough here to know how some rescues generally feel about taking on aggressive dogs, so I think you need to be very realistic about what you're asking. Dog-aggression prevents many dogs from entering foster-based rescues, as foster families nearly all have personal dogs that they want to keep safe. Many (but not all) breed rescues also try to avoid mixes, as they're harder to adopt out if the people who are coming to breed rescue to adopt are looking for purebred-looking dogs.

I'm sure that you're also aware that good rescues in your area are inundated with dogs -- Houston is a high-kill city, and last I heard, the GSRs there had more dogs needing help in shelters than available foster space. Many of those shelter dogs have no issues -- dog friendly, people friendly, no problems at all, and will be put down for lack of space. Dog-aggressive owner-surrendered dogs in my city get walked straight from the drop-off room to the euthanasia room -- they're not even put up for adoption.

If you contact rescues, your best chance is probably to (a) ensure your dog is fully up to date on vetting (and neutered), so you're not asking them to pay for neutering, and (b) offer to foster your own dog until a home is found by the rescue. Many of us don't like doing that though because at the last minute, people tend to get cold feet and decide to keep their dog, after we invest months finding a great home--this happens literally on adoption day when there's a lovely new family waiting to welcome the dog, and the owner suddenly realizes they can't bear to part with the dog after all. So don't be surprised if they decline your offer, and don't take it personally -- it's because some rescues have been burned by investing a lot of time into helping rehome dogs like this in the past.

Instead of burdening overtaxed rescues in your area, I recommend investing your own time to try to find a home through Rehome by Adoptapet:
rehome.adoptapet.com/r/86902
You can list the dog on the website free of charge, right next to the shelter and rescue pets. It generates an adoption app and adoption contract. (The rehoming fee gets donated, so that nobody can sell dogs on the site.)

Dogs that must live as only-dogs take longer to find homes for. Most people don't want to manage that. Try to plan to start looking for a new home a few months before your move, as this kind of dog (a mix with issues) is likely to take longer to place in a good home. It can be done -- emphasize his good points in his bio but be honest about his issues, and what kind of home is needed for him.

·
Super Moderator
6,008 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that.I've always enjoyed your posts.Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
This is sad. You made many posts about the joy, laughter and adventures that you had with your friend. His happiness and even his life depend on what you do now. Is there a way you can make other arrangements so that your life can accommodate him?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I remember your posts as well. I'm sorry you have to rehome Lobo. I don't suppose a friend or family member would take him or keep him for you until your circumstances change? Wishing you the best.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you can at all manage it, reconsider the rehoming. From what Magwart says it doesn't bode well for a dog-aggressive dog in that part of the country. As in, he'll be euthanized and terrified before that.

I will say if you wanted to drive to the northeast and put him in one of our local shelters, he'd be all set and good to go. We have a no kill shelter around here, and really great staff willing to work with a dog. So that is an option for you. If you were to do this, make sure he is HW negative and has a clear health check from the vet.

We actually import dogs from Texas/Georgia because there is a shortage of dogs.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Looks like from your IG page, you really love your dog too (and he's a handsome one). You also put in some time and effort to train him. We don't know what your reasons are, but like MineAreWorkingline asked, any other options that can help you keep your dog? Like, can a family member or friend take the dog? Or can you move to an apartment that accepts dogs? It would be a shame for your dog to have go through a "3rd chance." Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the kind words but I’m currently desperate and cannot find a home for him.

The shelter he came from won’t take him and neither will many other shelter since he’s not from the town that the shelter is located.

I am out of time and have no options, I don’t know what to do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry to hear about your struggle!

Can I ask why it is that he wont be able to move with you?

Would it be possible for you to take him with you and find a rescue in your new location?

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I appreciate the kind words but I’m currently desperate and cannot find a home for him.

The shelter he came from won’t take him and neither will many other shelter since he’s not from the town that the shelter is located.

I am out of time and have no options, I don’t know what to do.
I get that you are in panic mode right now. And it is super hard to think when you are backed into a corner.

More details might help us to help you. How far are you moving? Why can't he go with you? Is it just a transport issue?
If you tell us what the problem is we have a better chance of helping.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
What is your friend's life worth? He is a young, healthy boy. He wants to live. Dogs are only on this earth for a very short period of time, maybe ten years to begin with. Once he's gone, there is no turning back.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Whatever the move...or the reasons for the need to rehome instead of go with...can you not change direction and find something suitable, someone to stay with with your dog? vs. someone to take him for you temporarily?
I get rescue posts pouring into my FB and a lot are from Texas...dumping ground. Horrible the amount of dogs discarded in day at these shelters. The posts of the saddest most shut down dogs. Doomed b/c owner surrendered. The dogs chained, dogs dumped on side of hwy.'s. I get posts from other areas too...Texas and close second, So Cal are the worst and worst shelters

Find a way. You can, we here can pool together

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Another option is for you not to move, or move to where you can take Lobo. Here's my story so you can understand my perspective.

My husband can't get work in the state we live (Queensland, Australia). He works in IT and easily gets work in other states, the jobs just aren't here in Queensland. For the past 21 months we've been living in separate states. We wouldn't get enough money selling our home to buy one in New South Wales where we could keep Nitro. We can't rehome Nitro due to his expensive medication requirements. While on the meds Nitro is healthy, though the meds are probably shortening his life expectancy. We don't want to euthanase him for what, the bottom line is, our convenience. Euthanasing him would also have a devastating effect on my mental health. So, here I am in Qld, and there is my husband in NSW. He's been able to visit home 3 times this year. It's not ideal, but that's the decision we've made together.

I understand how difficult your current situation must be, you have my utmost empathy, but don't give up, keep looking for options.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I know a rescue that transports from your neck of the woods to the NE. I also know she has a soft spot for GSD's and for tough dogs. I also know a transporter that moves dogs out of Cali, and one that arranges rides all over for dogs being adopted out of area. If transport is an issue I MIGHT be able to help. But you need to speak up.

I also happen to agree with Dunkirk. Where there's a will there's a way.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So let me explain my situation.

I have just graduated from college in May 2019 and trying to start a law enforcement career. If you know anything about law enforcement you know that they have long hiring processes. I also failed for the first agency due to performing badly during the polygraph but I am trying to avoid making the same mistakes for the next agency that shows interest in me.

With that being said I don't have the money to take him with me. I am moving back with my parents just in the mean time so I can't take him with me. My parents don't have the space, my brother is terrified of dogs and they have two cats. Lobo is highly predatory towards cats.

Even if I did move into an apartment, it would put me in a huge financial hole. Me and my parents are not of high income.

There is also the aggression issue. Lobo is only an aggressive dog around me due to mishandling issues. How do I know this? Because when my roommates were trying to work with him last year in the fall, he showed zero aggression with the dogs they had. Both of these dogs were Pitbulls, and one of them was a rescued former fighting Pitbull. And when I was around he did not show aggression with the one who used to be a fighting dog, but he did show aggression towards the other one. Mind you, when I wasn't around, he was actually playing with the dog whom he showed aggression towards in my presence.

My roommate also brought over this inact male dog who Lobo does show aggression to in my presence. Oddly enough, when I was in the restroom and forgot to put him in my room, she let this inact male dog out and Lobo showed zero aggression towards him.

I would rather not turn him into a shelter but I am running out of options.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Do your parents have enough room in the backyard to put up a 5 x 10 kennel?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Can you pick up some Uber/Postmates/Amazon delivery shifts to pay for temp boarding? Do you have friends who would let you couch surf, even for a few days at a time before you need to bounce to another friend's place?

Why do you have to move right now, if there's not a job waiting yet? I still don't understand the urgency of this.

You made a commitment to this dog when you became his person. You knew when you took on a dog as a college student that life would be changing, and you did it anyway -- so now it's time to live up to the responsibility you voluntarily took on. It will be inconvenient, it may crimp your plans, but that's what you chose when you wanted to share your life with Lobo. It's hard sometimes to live up to that kind of responsibility, but I honestly think it's one of the most important "adulting" lessons we learn -- character isn't borne of what we say we believe in, it's what we do. Now's one of the times in your life that you'll discover a lot about your own character. If you look in the mirror, do you see a dog dumper?

I say this as someone who's moved cross-country multiple times with multiple dogs--living in a motel, with friends here and there, with dogs in boarding temporarily, cobbling together a week-by-week plan until housing was secured, whatever it took.

I moved cross-country after college when I was broke, with the Doberman who was my companion back then. We couch-surfed with friends, and I worked random jobs through a temp agency for extra money because they paid quickly and could put me to work the next day while I tried to find better income. Doing that helped me to scrounge together a deposit to live in a run-down little house in a crap neighborhood in which I heard gun shots some nights -- I knew it was only going to be until we got on our feet financially, but it was a house with a landlord that allowed dogs, and it was what we could afford. Giving up my dobe never crossed my mind -- no matter how inconvenient it got.

You need to internalize that public shelters in the Houston area are very likely to kill your dog. He could die with strangers, terrified. Some of those shelters are "heart-stick" shelters -- Google "heart stick euthanasia" and then watch the Youtube video before you leave him at one.

Even at shelters that don't use heart-sticks, they likely won't sedate before euthanasia. Shelter deaths are not the peaceful passage some of us have arranged with our vets to provide for old, dying dogs. Shelter dogs are often wide awake and very scared. If that's going to be his fate, you'd be kinder having him euthanized by your own vet with you there to love on him as he goes out than have him go through it in the terror of a public shelter.

I'm not trying to be unkind, but I don't want you to sugar coat it and imagine shelter euthanasia as "nicer" than it really is. Most shelters use a concrete room, and the dogs being walked into it can smell other dogs having died there. They try to back out of the room and are scared out of their wits as they realize what that place is. The people who have to do it often have 10 more to put down after this one and are numb to it, so there's sometimes no time for consoling the dogs -- the ones who try to back out the door might be yanked in unwillingly (possibly with a catch-pole) and held down, if they resist. Please don't send him to that fate.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The reason for the moving urgency is the fact that our landlord has given us a Godfather Style “offer that cannot be refused.” If we move out by the 15th, we get reimbursed $200 and cleaning fees are waived. It was made very clear though by the emails and messages sent to us that they were fully intent on screwing us over and fining us a ton of money if we didn’t take the offer.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.