German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ya'll...... I need some input, some advice.... and some reassurance! lol. This may be kind of long, sorry, but I want to make sure I include every detail possible!
We have recently taken in 2 pups from the same litter (both precious little boys). They will be 7 weeks tomorrow. Their mother was hit and killed :( which is why they have been split up so young. The "breeder" (and i use that term VERY loosely!!) had no clue what they were doing. The one and only thing they did right was contact a rescue group I have worked with in the past about taking the puppies. Long story short we are committed to making sure these little guys have the best lives possible after such a rough start! :)

We already have 3 gsds...all grown and all rescues as well. They immediately accepted the boys and have been quite playful and loving towards them. Thank goodness!! We absolutely adore them and are happy they are part of our family.

So, the questions I have are...(and I know I will have more, this is just what I can think of right now after another night of no sleep with 2 infant pups! lol)

What is the best way to handle having 2 pups from the same litter? I know this can create issues with training, etc. Should we separate them? Keep them together?

Should I anticipate any issues with behavior since they are so young and not with the mother and litter anymore? Such as biting (which I feel that since we have the 2 pups plus our other dogs we probably won't have an issue with bite inhibition, but I can't say for sure!)

We have them on Wellness LBP. The smallest guy has been throwing up undigested food the last few days since we had them. They went to the vet yesterday and tested negative for parvo and worms, thank goodness!! She didn't want to vaccinate them yet because of the vomiting. We are to wait 3 days after the vomiting stops then proceed with the vacc. I am giving them some probiotics to help with the digestion. She said the vomiting is most likely due to the stress and sudden food change, etc. Any additional ideas or suggestions to help with this? I tried feeding bland chicken last night, and they devoured it like a child with candy. However, the little guy threw it up this morning and it looked just as it did when it was eaten! It was in his tummy for approximately 16 hours and not digested at all!

:help:

I really appreciate any ideas from those who are experts in the area. I know we all have good ideas and want to share them at times, but this is not one of those times for random "best guesses." I would appreciate those being left out of this one. Please don't take me as being rude, this is just very important to us and the puppies!!

I know everyone likes pictures. I will get some loaded soon. The little guy is solid black, my husband named him "Diesel" (after his diesel truck I think lol!!). He was the smallest of the litter, but very feisty! The fat fluff ball is a sable, and I named him "Bentley" Hes a constant whiner...lol. Go figure.

Thanks guys! I always know I can come here for the best advice possible. I look forward to hearing what ya'll have to say :hug:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here they are. I took these with my cell phone, and between the lighting and squirmy subjects they aren't that great!

Bently, the bigger sable boy

Brotherly love!!!

Diesel, the small solid black boy

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Firstly, thanks for taking these little guys into your care – it’s a good thing. They are kind of young to be away from mom and sibs but I think they will have an advantage with you.

“We already have 3 gsds...all grown and all rescues as well. They immediately accepted the boys and have been quite playful and loving towards them. Thank goodness!! We absolutely adore them and are happy they are part of our family.”

This is good, I would keep them with your big guys since they get on so well.

Where do your big guys sleep at night – if the puppies are not doing well sleeping with the older dogs, consider letting them sleep next to your bed at night. Do you have an extra crate for them to sleep in?

IMO you will have less behavioral problems if you keep everyone together - since once again you have said that they all get along well – the puppies will learn from the older members of your pack.

Sounds as if your vet has ruled out some possible ailments that might cause vomiting. Since the food is coming out the same way that it went in, I would not feed them solid food. We typically feed our babies a mush that is prepared in the blender. Dry baby/puppy food mixed with some plain yogurt in the blender. It won’t hurt to blend in some hamburger or chicken.

Best of luck – keep us informed as to their progress – if it were me, I think I would be very tempted to keep them!!:):)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I want Diesel,lol You should train them separately for sure and make the effort to bond with both of them separately as well. Some will say to completely separate them, but I think thats a little extreme. I walk mine separately and together, but always train one on one to establish leadership and cut down on distractions. I also make it a point to spend alone time with both of my dogs and they are separated when I am gone:)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
At seven weeks they should be fully weaned and able to eat hard food thats appropriately sized. You can wet it with warm water I suppose to soften it, but if the pieces are puppy sized you really shouldn't have to.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
PS - - - gorgeous little guys!!!
:):p

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Firstly, thanks for taking these little guys into your care – it’s a good thing. They are kind of young to be away from mom and sibs but I think they will have an advantage with you. THANK YOU!! I APPRECIATE YOU SAYING THAT :laugh:

“We already have 3 gsds...all grown and all rescues as well. They immediately accepted the boys and have been quite playful and loving towards them. Thank goodness!! We absolutely adore them and are happy they are part of our family.”

This is good, I would keep them with your big guys since they get on so well.

Where do your big guys sleep at night – if the puppies are not doing well sleeping with the older dogs, consider letting them sleep next to your bed at night. Do you have an extra crate for them to sleep in? THE BIG GUYS SLEEP WHEREVER THEY WANT. I THINK WE GOT EXTREMELY LUCKY IN THAT THEY ARE ALL PERFECTLY HOUSE TRAINED AND BEHAVE GREAT (WELL, ASIDE FROM OSKAR'S COUNTER SURFING WHEN WE AREN'T HOME...BUT THAT'S ANOTHER TOPIC! LOL) BEING OUT OF THE CRATES. AND YES, WE DO HAVE A CRATE FOR THEM. WE ARE CURRENTLY LETTING THEM SLEEP IN A PACK AND PLAY NEST TO OUR BED, BUT ARE TRANSITIONING TO THE CRATE (I FED THEM IN IT THIS MORNING) BECAUSE I KNOW IT WON'T BE LONG BEFORE THEY CAN CLIMB OUT OF THE PACK AND PLAY!. I FEEL LIKE I HAVE A NEWBORN AGAIN!! WITH HAVING THE 2...ITS LITERALLY LIKE ALL NIGHT UP AND DOWN, UP AND DOWN, WHINING, CRYING, GOING OUTSIDE, UP AND DOWN, WHINING....LOL!
SHOULD THEY BE CRATED TOGETHER OR SEPARATELY?? I DON'T WANT THEM TO BECOME TOO BONDED TO EACH OTHER BECAUSE I KNOW THIS WILL INTERFERE WITH OUR BOND WITH THEM...BUT AT THE SAME TIME I KNOW THEY HAVE BEEN THROUGH A ROUGH TIME AND I DON'T WANT TO CAUSE ANY MORE TRAUMA.

IMO you will have less behavioral problems if you keep everyone together - since once again you have said that they all get along well – the puppies will learn from the older members of your pack.

Sounds as if your vet has ruled out some possible ailments that might cause vomiting. Since the food is coming out the same way that it went in, I would not feed them solid food. We typically feed our babies a mush that is prepared in the blender. Dry baby/puppy food mixed with some plain yogurt in the blender. It won’t hurt to blend in some hamburger or chicken. THIS IS A GREAT SUGGESTION. I HAVE BEEN WETTING THE FOOD. FOR SOME STRANGE REASON, THE WELLNESS LBP FOOD IS FRIGGIN HUGE!! IT'S LIKE 2X THE SIZE OF THE REGULAR ADULT FOOD. IT'S PRETTY RIDICULOUS. WE ACTUALLY RAW FEED MOST OF THE TIME, BUT FEED THE OTHERS WELLNESS CORE AT TIMES TOO. I'M HONESTLY NOT CONFIDENT ENOUGH TO GIVE THE PUPS RAW RIGHT NOW DUE TO WORRYING ABOUT NOT GETTING THE MIXTURES CORRECT AND THEM NOT THRIVING PROPERLY. ESPECIALLY DIESEL BECAUSE HE IS ALREADY MUCH SMALLER. MAYBE I SHOULD PESTER LAURIE FOR SOME ADVICE ON THAT......

Best of luck – keep us informed as to their progress – if it were me, I think I would be very tempted to keep them!!:):)

WELLLL....WE HAVE ALREADY GOTTEN ATTACHED, SO LOOKS LIKE THEY WILL BE PERMANENT MEMBERS :wub: BENTLEY IS ASLEEP AT MY FEET EVEN AS I TYPE :D
Thanks for the reply, and I will definitely keep everyone updated!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At seven weeks they should be fully weaned and able to eat hard food thats appropriately sized. You can wet it with warm water I suppose to soften it, but if the pieces are puppy sized you really shouldn't have to.

I should contact Wellness and let them know about "appropiately sized!!" lol. The pieces are absurdly large! :thumbsdown: Just because it's for large breed doesn't mean they are born with dang monster jaws! lol. Far from puppy sized! But, we like Wellness, so we are willing to overlook the mamoth sized kibble and make adjustments accordingly.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, and here's a funny....they keep trying to hump my husbands boots when he takes them out! lol. I didn't believe him at first, but then I saw it for myself. It's funny of course, but we are obviously discouraging it. Ahhhh puppies....

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hahaha, OMG, two puppies must have for some fun moments. Humping boots, obviously a funny moment!!
OHHHH YA!!!! They are like the dynamic duo! Team trouble! The funniest is when they plan an assault on one of the kids! I know that sounds mean and horrible...but you gotta know what I mean! Last night my 4 year old was playing in the living room with her barbie house, and the pups got on either side of it and attacked! She was so mad!

Now, don't you guys think I'm supporting or allowing bad behavior lol! We do intervene, but there's no shame in enjoying a good laugh about it! With having 2 there is never a dull moment. They keep us on our toes for sure :wild:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Emsoskar

Looks like someone needs to update their signature :)

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
/\/\/\/\ I agree....

And no, I let Killian run his "attacks" on Elizabeth once in a while, sometimes puppy behavior is just puppy behavior, cute, adorable, and pure EVIL!!! <3 LOL!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, you are both right...it's time to update and add the newest members!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I want Diesel,lol You should train them separately for sure and make the effort to bond with both of them separately as well. :)
Yup I agree - when it comes to training - you should work with them individually. :):)

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
I would crate them separately too, they should learn that it's okay to be by themselves, and you don't want them so bonded to each other that they don't need YOU!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great advice guys, thanks!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Also be aware their brotherly bond may change as they get older. Being the same age they may get into some heated battles for pecking order. Years ago my brother got two male puppies from the same litter and as they got older they starting getting into horrible fights. He finally had to place one of them before one ended up dead. That sounds pretty blunt but just wanted you to be aware of the possiblity in the future.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also be aware their brotherly bond may change as they get older. Being the same age they may get into some heated battles for pecking order. Years ago my brother got two male puppies from the same litter and as they got older they starting getting into horrible fights. He finally had to place one of them before one ended up dead. That sounds pretty blunt but just wanted you to be aware of the possiblity in the future.

:eek:

I sure hope this doesn't happen! Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts