German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I mean, I, personally, need Caesar Milan because I've reached my tolerance level for my 5 month GSD's terrible behavior with my 9 year old son. I am now so TENSE when I'm trying to discipline my GSD for practically attacking my 9 yr old son's feet, I think I might have a nervous breakdown.

How old do GSD's have to be before going to obedience school?

:mad:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and if I don't intervene, she WILL bite his legs and feet. No matter what he does, no matter how stern his voice, etc.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Start ob now keep a leash on your pup in the house and correct him for unwanted behavior! When Molly was a pup she would was chasing our cat
all the time so we kept a leash on her in the house all the time so we could control her! After awhile they will figure out that they aren't allowed to do that

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my pup was in a puppy class when he was 10 weeks old.
he started OB when he was 4 months old (private lessons
in the begining). a 5 month old GSD nipping is doing what
a pup does. don't expect a 9 yr old child to have command
over a 5 month old pup. do you train everyday, several times
a day? take control of the situation (training).

No, I mean, I, personally, need Caesar Milan because I've reached my tolerance level for my 5 month GSD's terrible behavior with my 9 year old son. I am now so TENSE when I'm trying to discipline my GSD for practically attacking my 9 yr old son's feet, I think I might have a nervous breakdown.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Whoops I thought I typed back to you..don't know where it went, will say this again

I feel for you.. My pup- goes nuts when he sees anyone on the floor. Kids get the worst..I say..kids..do not get on the floor in the main area of the house. Also..I would tell my 9 year old, pants and shoes at all times. When I first got my pup..she went after legs and feet bad.. But we would all quickly leave the room. Turn our backs, say no..and leave..many times I physically took her off the leggs and feet and gave her a good, no..and everyone would leave. She isn't so bad now, but my youngest on the floor..omg...... So I know how frustrated you must be... Keep leash on.. I would pop the leash when your pup does it..have your son give no attention. I think your pup gets lots of attention in your pups mind when your pup is doing this. Also shove something else in his/ her mouth. Iam so sorry I know this is difficult.

Wishing u all the best and exercise your pup like mad.. So when your son is home from school..pup is exhausted.

Xoxoxo

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I would teach that puppy to kiss your son as a redirection. Then designate an old rag (or tug toy) for a play toy so your son can interact with the puppy without pain. A hard lick is always better than a soft bite.

That would be my approach.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Now you see why they are nicknamed landsharks. We have ALL been through this. :D

First thing, and this is easier said then done, drop the tension. Your son AND pup picks up on it and it doesn't help the situation.

Stash chew toys all over the house and since the pup seems to focus on your son, be sure he carries one all the time in the house. It wears on you and you wonder if it will ever work, but keep stuffing toys in the pups mouth every time he goes to nip.

Locate a trainer, and be sure they have experience with GSD. Check their references. Be sure YOU are comfortable with them, they will be training you to work with your puppy.

Up his exercise. If he's tired he will be less likely to nip. Ball play, tug, long walks. Mental exercise will tire him out, sometimes even faster. Once training starts you will have that to aid in the mental exercise, in the meantime, play hide and seek, find it games.

Keep a leash on him in the house. Use it to guide him away from the current target. Not a yank, or a pull, but use just a gentle quick tug, quick release just to break his attention and get it focused on the toy.

It's a phase and it will pass, it can be frustrating. Step back, take a deep breath and remind yourself 'this to shall pass'.

Enjoy your pup, they grow up to fast.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I have a 7 month old. We have been well past the biting for a long time through redirection but my 82 year old mother on coumadin and in a wheelchair lives with us. When he is in a room with her he is on lead and under direct control given her frailness.

Children have a certain level of fragileness as well...Slowly as you train the dog he will learn to be more gentle around children but, having raised two kids with GSDs, supervision was really 100% by me until the puppy was much older and more reliable. Even so, when other kids came over and things got rowdy, I usually crated the dogs in another room unless I was in the direct area to supervise the interactions. No dog issues just unpredictable situations can escalate correctly, particularly with other kids not properly raised around dogs.

With my grandkids, Beau is allowed offlead but I am always RIGHT there ready to correct any out of control behavior which is more along the lines of getting excited and running around like crazy.

Oh, and he sounds very much like a normal puppy. No no Ceasar not now! {but I am not a big Ceasar fan}

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very Appreciative

Thanks to everyone for responding so quickly. I will speak with my hubby about k-9 school today. JUST one minor glitch with keeping a leash on her, she just wants to chew it in half, she has chewed two leashes in half in just one or two sessions of us trying to leash train her... if we let her wear it around the house, it will be chewed in two peices in 1/2 hour. :( She def does NOT get the exercise she needs, this is apparent, problem is, the leash being chewed into half, we have a new leash, any ideas on how to keep her from chewing on the leash when we try to walk her or when she is wearing it in the house??? :confused:

Another Issue we have: When she gets excited she pees...i.e., When I come home from work, she greets me at the door and pees... Will she grow out of this? She has done this since she was 7 weeks old.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

Fun, positive based puppy classes could have already been started.

What your puppy is trying to do is PLAY with your son. So while blood and guts and pain may be happening, what YOU need to know is that what you are seeing is your puppies only way they now know to PLAY.

Now, if you are trying to play ball with your son and he's not playing right/well............. do you 'discipline' your son for playing poorly? Do you end up with a nervous breakdown cause DISCIPLINING your son for his playing skills isn't helping his game (duh :D ).

Or, and this is what we ALL have to wrap our minds around with the biting thing, do we stop and TEACH A NEW WAY TO PLAY! One we all enjoy and participate in!

You are not alone! Most of us go thru this. And people with other breeds do NOT understand, so don't let them 'tell' you how to fix it. They don't know what we go thru with a playful GSD pup. In fact, we put up a sticky on this forum cause we all were needing help, just click this ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/85888-puppy-biting-teaching-bite-inhibition.html

Also 'engagement' training is a huge help, click this ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/162230-engagement-key-training.html

Funny thing is that this EXTREMELY annoying and painful behavior in the GSD is exactly the behavior that the BEST trainers know to use to get the best bomb/police/search & rescue/agility/drug dogs in the world. So it just needs to be trained and managed to 'do good' instead of bad :)

Additionally, I need to exercise my pups for miles a week. Not in the yard. Not on a leash. MILES. So unless I can bleed off some of the energy in dog classes, socialization, hiking and other OUTSIDE the house activities, I am fighting a much more difficult battle with a bored puppy that is bouncing off the walls. And that 'bouncing off the walls' is MY FAULT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed!

Now you see why they are nicknamed landsharks. We have ALL been through this. :D

First thing, and this is easier said then done, drop the tension. Your son AND pup picks up on it and it doesn't help the situation.

Stash chew toys all over the house and since the pup seems to focus on your son, be sure he carries one all the time in the house. It wears on you and you wonder if it will ever work, but keep stuffing toys in the pups mouth every time he goes to nip.

Locate a trainer, and be sure they have experience with GSD. Check their references. Be sure YOU are comfortable with them, they will be training you to work with your puppy.

Up his exercise. If he's tired he will be less likely to nip. Ball play, tug, long walks. Mental exercise will tire him out, sometimes even faster. Once training starts you will have that to aid in the mental exercise, in the meantime, play hide and seek, find it games.

Keep a leash on him in the house. Use it to guide him away from the current target. Not a yank, or a pull, but use just a gentle quick tug, quick release just to break his attention and get it focused on the toy.

It's a phase and it will pass, it can be frustrating. Step back, take a deep breath and remind yourself 'this to shall pass'.

Enjoy your pup, they grow up to fast.
Thank you! I completely agree, the tension I'm feeling HAS TO stop. It got to the point this morning that I picked her up (physically) and put her outside. I was beginning to feel like I might lash out in the WRONG way.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
... any ideas on how to keep her from chewing on the leash when we try to walk her or when she is wearing it in the house??? :confused:
Easy fix - buy a chain leash for now.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Thank you! I completely agree, the tension I'm feeling HAS TO stop. It got to the point this morning that I picked her up (physically) and put her outside. I was beginning to feel like I might lash out in the WRONG way.
If you don't change what YOU are doing, she will not stop and you will snap. And it won't be pretty.

And it won't be fair to the puppy.

You need to change what you are doing, and the puppy with learn.

PLEASE read the post I have above, then pack the pup into the car and go off for a few hours long walk in the woods. If Cesar Milan was at your house he'd be taking your pup out for some inline skating!

You will be amazed at what a 'good dog' you have for the rest of the day in the home. With no discipline or punishment.

Plus have long dog tug toys all over the house.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed!

Fun, positive based puppy classes could have already been started.

What your puppy is trying to do is PLAY with your son. So while blood and guts and pain may be happening, what YOU need to know is that what you are seeing is your puppies only way they now know to PLAY.

Now, if you are trying to play ball with your son and he's not playing right/well............. do you 'discipline' your son for playing poorly? Do you end up with a nervous breakdown cause DISCIPLINING your son for his playing skills isn't helping his game (duh :D ).

Or, and this is what we ALL have to wrap our minds around with the biting thing, do we stop and TEACH A NEW WAY TO PLAY! One we all enjoy and participate in!

You are not alone! Most of us go thru this. And people with other breeds do NOT understand, so don't let them 'tell' you how to fix it. They don't know what we go thru with a playful GSD pup. In fact, we put up a sticky on this forum cause we all were needing help, just click this ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/85888-puppy-biting-teaching-bite-inhibition.html

Also 'engagement' training is a huge help, click this ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/162230-engagement-key-training.html

Funny thing is that this EXTREMELY annoying and painful behavior in the GSD is exactly the behavior that the BEST trainers know to use to get the best bomb/police/search & rescue/agility/drug dogs in the world. So it just needs to be trained and managed to 'do good' instead of bad :)

Additionally, I need to exercise my pups for miles a week. Not in the yard. Not on a leash. MILES. So unless I can bleed off some of the energy in dog classes, socialization, hiking and other OUTSIDE the house activities, I am fighting a much more difficult battle with a bored puppy that is bouncing off the walls. And that 'bouncing off the walls' is MY FAULT.
We took Valentina to Red River Gorge (in Kentucky) yesterday, She hiked with us for 2 hours and was absolutely worn out afterwards. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Love this!

The more fun activities you can do together, the more you'll appreciate and see how smart and wonderful your pup really is. The behavior you are seeing that is so frustrating really is 'normal' and we ALL deal with it until WE LEARN how to manage our puppy better to fade this annoying stuff out.

Having 'a plan' and working out ways to manage our pup start to show improvements immediately. Maybe slowly, but definitely. Key for me were dog toys in each and every room all over the house so the puppy starts to learn to grab those and we will play with THOSE, rather than grab for me where I do not play at all!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I can't find a place anywhere near where I live that I can take my dog off leash to go hiking..:( She would love it, but I would get a hefty fine:(

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I can't find a place anywhere near where I live that I can take my dog off leash to go hiking..:( She would love it, but I would get a hefty fine:(
Not true :)

One of the other many benefits of the puppy classes is the other members will know where to go. While there absolutely are places that you need to keep your pup on leash or will get a ticket. There are MANY state and local parks and/or private land (get permission) that have trails where you never see a human let alone someone who would issue a ticket!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Get a long line and it will be good and safe. Maybe make a post in the equipment section to get an idea of how long, and what material.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts