German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Can't tell if she's underweight if you don't tell us how much she weighs. And from the 2 pictures you provided, she looks GSD to me. Did you adopt her from the pound/rescue? Or buy her from a backyard breeder or puppy mill? Otherwise you would know if she's pure or mixed. Does she have AKC papers? That could help.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
She appears purebred, understand that purebred does not mean well bred or breeding quality. She does not look small to me and she sure is cute. The general public seems to believe that GSD's are giant dogs, they aren't.

·
Registered
868 Posts
She's purebred.....I'm guessing you mean small for her age ??......how old is she?

Ooooops... I missed 6 months.......i think for 6 months she looks normal....her proportions look good IMO....Is that why someone thought she wasn't 100% GSD....they thought she was too small?....these dogs change and grow at different rates...hard to say what her size/weight may be at 2 years

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
She looks like a pure german Shepherd. Females are smaller then males. you can get a dog who is below standard or above standard in litter of pups. Standard weight for a female is around 50- 70lbs. Yes she still has growing to do!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Looks purebred to me. Having white on the paws is not completely abnormal and is relatively common in the American Showlines. Not sure why people think GSDs are supposed to be massive, especially the females. And I agree with Car2ner, the small females tend to be absolute forces to be reckoned with IMO. Fast and agile.

Reactions: gsdluvr

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
White toes are normal in West German Showlines. They tend to go silver or recede to be not noticeable. I think everyone's got to be an expert, and telling you your dog is not purebred, is something folks just do way too often.

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
White toes are normal in West German Showlines. They tend to go silver or recede to be not noticeable. I think everyone's got to be an expert, and telling you your dog is not purebred, is something folks just do way too often.
We see them in American show lines too. And yes they usually fade.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Looks about the same size as mine, Mei, who is purebred German line with papers. Just weighed her at Petsmart two days ago at 45lbs being just over 5 months.

·
Registered
56 Posts
looks pure bred to me. My GSD female was also "small" for her age but this is normal. GSDs have a lot of different lines that range in size. I prefer and choose a breeder with the more "Agile" definition. Some people think King GSDs are the norm... but that's not the case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts