German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 GSD's and we recently started feeding them Royal Canin- specifically for GSD's. I noticed that we are going through this VERY quick and its pretty pricey. I like the fact its made for GSD's but when I have to buy bags every 2 or so weeks- that adds up fast with 3 dogs. What is a good food that isn't terribly expensive?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I feed my GSD Royal Cannin mixed w/ a grain free brand called Instinct. It makes the RC last longer and I switch the type of Instinct every few months so my GSD doesn't get bored w/ the same old meal... Instinct has a rabbit formula as well as chicken duck etc...

http://www.heartypet.com/natures_variety_dog_food.php

·
Registered
76 Posts
I feed eukanuba GSD. Not much cheaper than the royal canin though.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I am in love with Breeders Choice, Avoderm. I too was using the RC 24, but the price is just way too much. I was paying anywhere from 45-50 dollars for a bag of the RC, but now with the Avoderm, I pay around 31-36 dollars a bag, and the kids are doing great on it.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Originally Posted By: itsajdamnitI feed eukanuba GSD. Not much cheaper than the royal canin though.
YUCK.

If a low cost high quality food is what you're after I have heard good things about chicken soup for the pet lovers soul.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
yeah, RC is awfully pricey. for less than the price of RC there are some very good kibbles to choose from. im not sure about the price of instinct, but innova and canidae are two that are cheaper where i live. there are some grainless kibbles that sell for less cost than RC.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Originally Posted By: EmooreHave you tried Canidae?
Also Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Healthwise, and Premium Edge. I, personally, pay less for food when I order it online through petfooddirect.com. The prices are below retail, no sales tax and there's always a 15-22% coupon available that more than covers my shipping. If you register for ebates.com, you also get 4% cash back (or 5%, can't remember) on every purchase.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Coleen, I know exactly what you are going through b/c I recently was thinking the same thing. It's hard to find a quality food that isn't going to blow your budget. I know the Natural Balance is expensive!

I guess it really depends on how much you want to spend?

I know here in Bama, the Canidae is $42 for a 40 pound bag, they raised the price by 10 bucks in the last 2 weeks!!! Anyway, the RC GSD is about $48, and the Blue Buffalo isn't much cheaper than that and the bag size isn't big either, I think it's only like 30 pounds or so. Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul is affordable and it's a good quality kibble.

So, like I said before it just really depends on how much you want and can spend. If Cooper and Ava didn't have allergies I would put them on either the Canidae or the Chicken Soup. And, I know I may get drilled for saying this but you might want to look into keeping them on the RC but mixing it with something like Purina ONE. That way the food is lasting longer. It doesn't have to be a permanant thing just something temporary. It's just a thought.

Good luck with your search and like I said I know how feel as my two eat me out of house and home!!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Originally Posted By: ColeenI have 3 GSD's and we recently started feeding them Royal Canin- specifically for GSD's. I noticed that we are going through this VERY quick and its pretty pricey. I like the fact its made for GSD's but when I have to buy bags every 2 or so weeks- that adds up fast with 3 dogs. What is a good food that isn't terribly expensive?
Try looking around your area for a food called Blackwood. When purchased from a feed store or shop is it very reasonable and high quality.

Another to look for would be Regal Pet Food. Very similar to the Blackwood.

Cherri

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
We tried Rocky on Purina One a while ago and he ate the food for 3 meals and threw up after each meal.

Rocky is currently on Natures Recipe Lamb and Rice ($35 for 40 lbs)and he is doing really well on it. Prior to this he was on Natural Balance and we had issues with that food too.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Danielle, that's too funny b/c my two are the exact opposite! They didn't like Natures Recipe, it gave Cooper a terrible Hot Spot and Ava wouldn't touch it ... and they love the Natural Balance!

I'm glad you were able to find something that works for Rocky.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts