German Shepherds Forum banner

I need a name for my puppy

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Warvn 
#1 ·
I have a purebred black long haired female shephard puppy. I just started calling her shadow. But honestly I dont like it. My h pushed me to that. I like AVA.

Any helpful ideas that you can come up with. Throw some names out there would be great.

#6 ·
I cheated and Googled "names for black dogs."

Here's a long list found at Top 50 Names for a Black Dog - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com:

Ace
Agate
Asphalt
Bear
Blackjack
Blackberry
Blake
Bullet
Cocoa
Cosmo
Currant
Charcoal
Demon
Ebony
Eclipse
Ember
Espresso
Galaxy
Gothic
Gypsy
Hershey
Inkblot
Inkwell
Knight
Licorice
Magpie
Mamba
Manson
Midnight
Mystery
Nimbus
Onyx
Ozzie
Pepper
Raven
Raisin
Rocket
Rorschach
Shadow
Shady
Silhouette
Spade
Spider
Stallion
Stormy
Sunbear
Thunder
Twilight
Velvet
Vortex

I like the ones in bold :) I think Pepper is my favorite.

#7 ·
Meant to add that I also love the name Ava! I name my dogs with "people" names, and Ava just sounds so glamorous, which she will most likely be with a long black coat!

#8 ·
This is just my opinion but I think if you don't already have a name picked out...a person should name their K-9 after watching his / her personality.

Having said that...I like the suggested name Sombra for a black female GSD.

#9 ·
Shadow is:
Schatten in German
Sombra in Spanish
Stin in Czech
And in Arabic, it is Khiyyal. Pronounced the easy way for those of us who speak English: Hi (long I as in EYE) / yaal (drawn out soft A like the sound you make when a doctor uses a tongue depressor to see your tonsils). Accent is on the second syllable. :)

#10 ·
Wow

Good names. Mostly for a male though. :(
I also thought of zero. Not really for a female either. But i was thinking shes go t zero colour! ha ha.
So Im thinking zero
or ava. Im getting closer......

#12 ·
Wow

Good names. Mostly for a male though. :(
I also thought of zero. Not really for a female either. But i was thinking shes has zero colour! ha ha.
So Im thinking zero
or ava. Im getting closer......

#14 ·
Found it

Was at Starbucks with a friend and again, people kept coming up and saying that she looked like a bear. Then another friend came up and I told her how many people keep saying she liked a bear. And she said call her Kuma. Its japanese for black bear.
So after talking about it with my h thats what it is. Kuma. Black bear. If I knew how to upload a pic I would show her. :(
If it wasnt Kuma it :cool: would have been ava lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.