German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....A real good strong one.

Since Chase decided he has a lot of toy drive, I've decided to start training for..... stuff. Not quite sure yet. He loves the tug/jute toy we bought from Petsmart.... that is now in two (figures), so we need another one.

I would like to make one myself, so I know it will hold out. I know there are really simple methods of making them, and the materials and whatnot, I just need to know how. LOL Or I can order one, but it NEEDS to be strong.... and cheap because I'm broke.

Got any instructions to make one? I've seen someone on this board that has a good homemade one.

Or maybe a website?

Can you tell I'm completely lost with this at the moment?

·
Premium Member
11,141 Posts
if you know anyone who does schutzhund, see if you can get a worn sleeve cover...cut it up - get a section that is decent and roll it...using glue stick to keep it together - you can use a section of an old cotton or nylon leash in the layers if you want a handle...I know a guy who made tons of them this way wiht old covers.

Lee

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I make my owns. I buy leather welder's leggings in only US$1 the pair (4 tugs). I just finished this one 15 minutes ago.

I've used old jeans too, but they didn't last too much.

All you need is a rectangle of whatever material you choose, the one of the picture is 23x32 cm. You bend it at the middle and sew the borders. I used cotton waste to stuff them as you can make them as soft or hard as you want. If you choose leather don't even try to sew it with a needle, first you have to make the holes with a nail or you're going to tear your fingers in the process. I posted a pic here:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=540911&page=1#Post540911

It's really easy, once you make your first one you will never want to pay for one again
The first one I made is still as good as new, I justmade this one because I wanted one with two handles. The only precaution is to use them only to work and not let them at the dog reach as they love to chew them like if they were rawhide bones.

My next proyect is a narrow one that fit in the pocket to use it more as a reward than for bitework. I'll post a pic here when a finish it.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Oh
I kind of wondered so looked twice to see who you had replied too.
Barb

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Yeah I thought about that after you posted. But it was supposed to be to the OP I just happened to reply after Lee so it attached it to her post. I am usually too lazy to use anything but the quick reply.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PM box is cleaned.

Nice Lican!! Thanks for that!

And sadly, Lee, I don't think anyone in this little hellhole town of mine does SchH.

·
Premium Member
11,141 Posts
I get replies and PMs all the time...I keep taking tons of them out....
any way to archieve them?????

OH - french linen tugs last much longer than jute by the way....a tad pricier, but you can wash and dry them and they don't shred like jute...

Lee

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hate to say it but unless you can get a hold of used sleeve covers, it's usually not worth making them yourself. French linen/bite suit material is expensive. A think tugs are as cheap as they are only because they get made out of the scrap left over from making bite suits and sleeve covers. The last time I looked into it the materials to make tugs cost as much as buying the finished tug itself.

As posted above there are sources for cheap sued out there but I've never liked leather tugs. They are too hard for the dog to grip because his teeth don't get any purchase. I don't think the dogs like that as much. They also get slimy, not like tennis ball slimy but more like bad cold just sneezed slime. Not what I want to be holding, or shoving into my pocket.

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,141 Posts
Ray Allen is probably the highest priced vendor out there - but sells to PD with accounts set up etc...there are lots of other places on the net who sell stuff...I used to use K9Toolbox for tugs, and NorthCoast K9 in Ohio (Tammy & Nick Blackburn) has had them at shows/trials - been using the same ones for 3 or 4 years now...

Suede/rough out leather is better than smooth - look on ebay for an old pair of western chaps cheap, you can make alot of tugs and rags from a pair of chaps!

Lee

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
HI,

I just bought a new bite pad/pillow. The quality is good because the helpers in my club didn't complain about it. (HEE!);)

The person who purchased it originally, purchased it from a web site called fordogtrainers.com. Their prices seem very low and they sell a few "kit" components.

That said, I have purchased (other) items from Leerburg and Hallmarkk9. The service at both places was very good.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Originally Posted By: Wolfstraum

Suede/rough out leather is better than smooth - look on ebay for an old pair of western chaps cheap, you can make alot of tugs and rags from a pair of chaps!

Lee
This is true, but Tim is right too, they get more slippery once wet than french linen and some dogs plainly don't like them, but they are good to strengthen grip
I make mines of shammy leather and they don't get more slimmy than jute. If you have the option of going for french linen it's ever the best choice, my soft sleeve is made of it and if I could put my hand in a tug made of FL you bet I'd do.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Lican, I'm kind of going along with your idea and making one out of an old pair of jeans.....

We'll see how that works. LOL

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I did it! Looks pretty good, but how it looks can't tell me how long it will last. Chase has already attempted to destroy it.... needless to say, he won't be left alone with it. lol

Basically all I did was murder an old pair of pants, cut off the leg, and rolled it up.

I used the longer one, the other piece is going to turn into another tuggy.... eventually.

I cut off the seam at the bottom of the leg and used it for a handle, not sturdy by far, but I need SOMETHING to pick up a slimy toy by. (this was HARD)

I rolled it up to test how the handle would do if it pulled, this is how I came up with the next step. The handle pulled right out, it didn't detach, it just unraveled it all from the inside.

So what I did next was rolled it up about halfway, and sewed it together, it's hard to explain. But basically this holds it together so it doesn't unravel when pulled on.

Then I rolled it up as tight as possible and wrapped strips of fabric patching material around the top, middle, and bottom.

And put two more patches over the end of the roll so Chase wouldn't snag it and tear it off.

To show you size, here it is next to a TV remote...

Even better, in Chase's big mouth.

He seems to like it, as he's already stole it from off the counter 3 times.

I'll let you all know how it holds up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts