German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyday I come to this forum and get frustrated and puzzled. I am sure I am the worst and weirdest dog owner ever. I have no particular training method, I use what works for the dog in front of me. I don't care much about looks, ears(grr), color, size or attitude. I embrace all aspects of my dogs, love the puppy backtalk, attitude and biting. Puppy breathe and sharp teeth are like heaven to me. I couldn't care less about dog hair or muddy feet and I will never understand this fixation with making or dogs smell like flowers. I love that warm dog smell. I laugh at the concept that my dogs should never sleep on my bed or share my food. Basically a long as they aren't behaving like complete a--clowns I don't care.
I was really good at teaching other peoples dogs to be obedient, model citizens. My own not so much. Probably because it matters not one bit to me. My dogs live by rules, the rest we sort out as we go. It would never occur to me to be disappointed in a dog who was the wrong color, or had the wrong coat, or was smaller or bigger then I expected, or had derpy ears. Anyone remember the person who was trimming their dog to convince everyone it was not a long coat? Or the guy who was going to rehome his 1 year old dog because it's ears didn't come up? Or the person who returned their young pup for landsharking?
They are dogs. The stuff that makes them good dogs is on the inside, invisible to us. They are with us for such a short time I just wish I could make people see that all of these petty annoyances will be gone soon enough and that loss is so much more painful then a puppy bite. I wish I could make people understand that no two dogs are the same, they all learn different and they all grow different. There is no one size fits all training. I have had dogs I never trained who were amazing and others that I was sure were sent to test my sanity. I wish people would do their research and understand that these aren't phones that we just download an app on.
Done ranting now.:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
I think some people have an ideal in mind and then start assigning blame when it falls outside of that ideal fantasy.Living creatures are all unique individuals.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think some people have an ideal in mind and then start assigning blame when it falls outside of that ideal fantasy.Living creatures are all unique individuals.

That's my issue exactly. It would never occur to us to rehome our children because they had blue eyes instead of green, or to remarry because our husband was 5'11" instead of 6'2". Well maybe, but not in my world. :laugh2:
If one child is an honors student and the other is dumb as a brick, we don't get rid of the slower one. We work and teach at their level.

·
4,501 Posts
my little beagle / whippet mix was neurotic at times. I loved her to pieces and gave her a very good life, but I have to admit at times her neediness got me frustrated. What I didn't realize is that she was going into the last year of her life and was probably not feeling right. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty for getting annoyed with her neediness. I didn't understand. But we aren't perfect anymore than our dogs are.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I embrace all aspects of my dogs, love the puppy backtalk, attitude and biting. Puppy breathe and sharp teeth are like heaven to me.
I could not agree more. 🖤

Your rant is very similar one I made to my fiance last week, after a coworker of his rehomed their 1 year old shepherd due to destructive tendencies. I firmly believed it was a lack of teaching the dog what was appropriate and managing the dog's energy. I literally cried, because my heart broke for the owner, I know she loved that dog. My heart broke for the dog who was just expressing himself the way he was allowed to. He did go to a good place though, where his energy will definitely be redirected. It was just frustrating, and heartbreaking.
Dogs are never a convenience, they're very much the opposite, and cosmetics don't make the dog. I too wish for people to understand dogs are not toys, and should not be disposable when they aren't cosmetically ideal or when they're no longer puppies. I'm a firm believer that a lot of people don't deserve dogs.

·
Super Moderator
5,388 Posts
I’m a lot like you, minus the looks thing, but that’s because I love to show dogs. It kinda matters in that venue!

I get on here and read about these young puppies knowing many commands, and I joke that I’m not sure Scarlet knows her name, lol. I love feisty, sassy dogs. Scarlet still adds some teeth when I ask for a kiss. She wails and carries on when I carry her bowl to the other room for her to eat. I love that she back talks when she’s annoyed with me, and barks at me when she wants something. She’s enthusiastic and cheery and massively entertaining. It’s why I have a dog. She loves me. I’m her person.

My son, who always says “that dog is awful”, watched a video of her in the ring at the last dog show. My handler was stacking her, and he remarked “hey, she does know how to behave!” I’m not so sure she’s THAT bad, but she’s a pill. And I wouldn’t have it any other way. She’s so much fun. SO. MUCH. FUN. She’ll be 2 years old this month. Time is flying.

I’m not sure I could live with a perfectly trained robot dog. I admire those people that can train like that, but I am far too lazy.

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
my little beagle / whippet mix was neurotic at times. I loved her to pieces and gave her a very good life, but I have to admit at times her neediness got me frustrated. What I didn't realize is that she was going into the last year of her life and was probably not feeling right. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty for getting annoyed with her neediness. I didn't understand. But we aren't perfect anymore than our dogs are.
Now I'm thinking of my little guy who passed last year.He was the bravest,most loving and loyal companion you could ever want.Lord knows he had his issues but he was the one who would"take a bullet" for me.I learned so much from him and really miss that little sucker:)

·
Registered
773 Posts
That's my issue exactly. It would never occur to us to rehome our children because they had blue eyes instead of green, or to remarry because our husband was 5'11" instead of 6'2". Well maybe, but not in my world. :laugh2:
If one child is an honors student and the other is dumb as a brick, we don't get rid of the slower one. We work and teach at their level.

Wow I agree....I take pride that my dogs are pretty well behaved when out some where....we get compliments on how well behaved they are....early on they learn what's acceptable and where boundaries lie.....but at my house after the pups become adults i let them be what they are....dogs ! Often there will be a thread here that someone's dog has a behavior that they're trying to correct...I'll chuckle....one of my guys will do that very "behavior" and I'll laugh at the dog because he's simply being what he/she is....a dog....It's always helped us since we have multiple dogs.. the young learn from the old....many good behaviors and how to just be....dogs.

As far as kids go I'm not so sure that if it was socially acceptable and legal....some folks very well might rehome a child because he/she doesn't fit the "perfect" cookie cutter mold......folks have a way of setting a bar waaayyyy to high IMO

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well I must be weird too. I have only ever dealt with the dog in front of me. I don't show my dogs and they aren't working so they just have to follow some basic rules. Don't potty in the house, no teeth on skin, don't guard anything I have given you, come back when you are called and treat me, my family and anyone I invite into my house with respect. Ignore strangers unless I tell you otherwise. Doesn't mean they were perfect, over the years, extreme separation anxiety, food guarding, vet aggression, dog aggression. However they were part of my family so we worked through it. No family is perfect but they were part of my family. My only red line would have been if they had gone after me or my kids.
Apart from that, I love the GSD attitude. My current girl will bring me her lead when she wants walking or her bowl when she wants feeding and somedays that can be 3 or 4 times a day. She's an optimist lol. And I love GSD back chat, the naughty look my girl gets in her eyes or when I tell her to move she acknowledges me by wagging her tail but doesn't do it instantly.

Or the person who returned their young pup for landsharking?

That is what happened to my girl at 4.5 months. Handed into rescue. Their loss my gain. They gave up the sweetest little girl who loves people and just wants to engage.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Honestly, it always gets me when people get rid of a dog because 'the dog was a landshark and is very destructive and he doesn't listen to me and jumps like crazy on my kids' what do you do to exercise him? 'I walk him 2 times a day 30 mins each but he pulls on the leash a lot' dang lady/guy walking is a physical exercise for you but it's more structural for the dog he needs to run and play mental games and be trained and set up boundaries he doesn't listen to you cos you suck bye

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@dogfaeries show dogs ARE different, I do agree. But we are not all cut out to be super models, lol. And that's the annoying part.
If you are looking for a show dog then by all means don't take the dog with the weird hump on it's muzzle or the one soft ear, but don't tell me that you are disappointed in your pet because it is too big or to small or the color is not what you expected.
@Misha111 I tell Shadow to move and she wiggles, or rolls over for belly tickles.

It just seems like I'm the minority, and I don't know when dogs became display pieces.

One of Shadow's ears was still struggling to come up at around 10 months and I used to laugh because it would wave at me while she was running about. But it honestly never occurred to me to be concerned, and I had to think about it when people started talking about it on here to try and remember how old she was. I was concerned at one point because it had been up and someone visiting grabbed it and it fell again. Not concerned about her appearance, concerned that she was injured and in discomfort. Sabi was the size of a moose, I never intended for her to be that big and in fact only realized how big she was when people started commenting that her front legs were bigger then my wrists. I mean the vet weighed her at visits but I never really paid any attention to the weight, just the "she's in good shape" part.
People talk/complain/freak out all the time about landsharks, and tbh I never noticed it until I came to this forum. I just figured it was what shepherd puppies did. I don't know if maybe it's generational, I grew up knowing that puppies bite. I just keep my feet, legs and ankles covered, lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,388 Posts
I always tell my breeder that Russ hurts my eyes. He’s not all that attractive, and is kind of a conformational train wreck. I think he’d be a little too much dog for the average pet owner, but he’s a GREAT dog. Everybody loves him.

I came home from work the other day, and my nephew’s girlfriend was there with her little girl. They were doing a big art project in my dining room table. (My dogs and I have never met the little girl before.) The dogs were all crowded around her, lying at her feet. They never even got up when I came in, lol. They were fascinated by the child and were so gentle. They know when to tone it down. I care more about that, than I do with all the fancy tricks I could teach them.

As far as looks, well, I could pick apart all three of my GSDs (and do) but I love them anyway.

Am I the only one that’s a little sad when all the awful puppy antics go away? I guess because they never seemed so awful in the first place, lol.

·
Registered
167 Posts
One of Shadow's ears was still struggling to come up at around 10 months and I used to laugh because it would wave at me while she was running about. But it honestly never occurred to me to be concerned, and I had to think about it when people started talking about it on here to try and remember how old she was.
I never realised people had a problem with their dogs ears or you could tape them until I joined this forum. An old timer like me thought they just sorted themselves out.And TBH, the state of their ears has never worried me. The majority get there in the end!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
The breed standard exists to establish a breed conformity; physically and temperamentally. It should not matter for what purpose a GSD is kept, including pet status. A person is entitled to do their research for a dog breed that suits their lifestyle whether that be energy level, size, fur, flat faced, erect ears, blue eyes, color, HA, DA, aloof, friendly, can herd, hunt, retrieve, etc., and expect the dog to fall within its respective breed standard or close to it. This is the purpose for having dog breeds. If none of these things mattered, then there would be no breeds and any dog selected would be nothing but a pure crap shoot almost guaranteed not to meet any wants, needs, or expectations. Yes, even pet dogs need to fit into its owner's lifestyle and it would be 100% unfair to a dog to try to force a square peg into a round hole not to mention it would most likely be a constant source of frustration and disappointment to the owner. No matter how you slice and dice it, appearance and behavior is largely genetic. Yes, a highly skilled owner can manipulate a dog's behavioral genetics to a larger degree, but Joe Average is not as motivated or as knowledgeable to accomplish such feats. Another example, the GSD comes in a large range of size, 48-88 pounds per standard. Add or subtract a few pounds to adjust for those that will come in under standard or over. It is not fair to expect or tell somebody who wants a dog that is 45-50#s or prefers one that is 90-95#s to deal with it when their dog disappoints. That is quite a size disparity when somebody had reason to want or simply desires a smaller or larger dog. It is not up to us to judge another's preferences as long as those preferences are close to the breed standard. As GSD owners and stewards, it is up to us to discourage traits that do not meet the breed standard, not dismiss those that do as if breed does not matter.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The breed standard exists to establish a breed conformity; physically and temperamentally. It should not matter for what purpose a GSD is kept, including pet status. A person is entitled to do their research for a dog breed that suits their lifestyle whether that be energy level, size, fur, flat faced, erect ears, blue eyes, color, HA, DA, aloof, friendly, can herd, hunt, retrieve, etc., and expect the dog to fall within its respective breed standard or close to it. This is the purpose for having dog breeds. If none of these things mattered, then there would be no breeds and any dog selected would be nothing but a pure crap shoot almost guaranteed not to meet any wants, needs, or expectations. Yes, even pet dogs need to fit into its owner's lifestyle and it would be 100% unfair to a dog to try to force a square peg into a round hole not to mention it would most likely be a constant source of frustration and disappointment to the owner. No matter how you slice and dice it, appearance and behavior is largely genetic. Yes, a highly skilled owner can manipulate a dog's behavioral genetics to a larger degree, but Joe Average is not as motivated or as knowledgeable to accomplish such feats. Another example, the GSD comes in a large range of size, 48-88 pounds per standard. Add or subtract a few pounds to adjust for those that will come in under standard or over. It is not fair to expect or tell somebody who wants a dog that is 45-50#s or prefers one that is 90-95#s to deal with it when their dog disappoints. That is quite a size disparity when somebody had reason to want or simply desires a smaller or larger dog. It is not up to us to judge another's preferences as long as those preferences are close to the breed standard. As GSD owners and stewards, it is up to us to discourage traits that do not meet the breed standard, not dismiss those that do as if breed does not matter.
Well, you are certainly welcome to do as you please. Buds sire was 85lbs dam was 65lbs, he decided to be 95lbs. At no point did it occur to me that he should be killed, returned or otherwise disposed of because he was oversize. He was MY DOG! Shadow is sitting at the very bottom of the standard for a female, and is generally a rotten example of the breed for someone like you I guess. But she is here and here she will stay. Even the best of breeders produce dogs that just aren't quite there in some way or another, by your reasoning we should just kill those ones off because they aren't worthy. I worked for years with Arabian horses, sometimes you get foals that aren't quite up to snuff. No one kills them. No one suggests that they are not worthy, those are the ones that carry the breeders name into endurance or eventing or reining rather then halter or showmanship. German Shepherds are supposed to be working dogs, a soft ear does not remove any of that ability. An undersized dog can still herd, or track. And since the breed standard is fairly broad for size, if your male doesn't hit 85lbs or your female is barely 45lbs then suck it up. No one, not one of us is questioning breeding quality. We are simple saying that no one and nothing in nature is perfect.

Going back 5 generations in my family the woman are no taller then 5'4" and the men no taller then 5'10". The woman tend to be really curvy and the men short legged and barrel chested. I am 5'8" with long legs and decidedly NOT curvy. So genetics will only get you so far, the rest is up to some other force of nature.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I think we're all a bit weird! And aspecially GSD owners! I mean, who in their right mind consents to never eating or sitting on anything again that does not contain dog hair LOL!

That being said, whether you train extensively, or take a more companiable approach, doesn't really matter.what matters is what these dogs do for our lives! I can honestly say that I would not be anything close to what I am now - for better or worse LOL - without having experienced the deep connection that I've had with all my dogs! It truly changes you. I have Loved them all very deeply. Crooked ears, small or large size, personality quirks, and all...

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
You picked a good title for this thread. I don't know how you misconstrue breeding dogs to a standard and for buyers to expect such practices from a breeder into not only killing dogs who are not perfect but especially killing your dogs. I never implied anything of the sort about dogs in general or your specific dogs. If you don't like this breed's standard, then maybe simply this is not the breed for you. Do not pretend that I said things that I clearly did not just because I don't agree with you about haphazard breeding and buyers having to suck it up or the dogs suffering due to poor breeding.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts